Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never used syn before but you guys allways mention red line so I bought some. Question is how many hrs should I run my reg break in oil before I switch?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Lookin' forward to this thread. Corvettes z-06's come with Mobil 1 synthetic right from the factory. I called Mobil 1 and they said didn't have to switch for break in.

I've run 15-50 from Day 1 in my Sanger. I don't know if it's broke in yet? I'm not even sure how to tell.. There's no smoke cloud following me..

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Never used syn before but you guys allways mention red line so I bought some. Question is how many hrs should I run my reg break in oil before I switch?
In the dyno room it's a 10 min break-in then 4-8 power pulls ( about 10 seconds on each) and then dump the oil and replace with the syn.

Make one trip to the lake or river and change it out.

Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover :D

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Really depends on the condition of the engine in the beginning. Type of rings, cylinder finish, etc. are part of the equation. If it's a typical moly ring, relatively smooth finish cyl wall rebuild, then yes, the rings are basically "broken in" when you slip them in the cyl. Warm it up good and run it hard IMMEDIATELY, heat cycle the thing a few times, and build some pressure behind the rings to get them seated and you're good to go. You can change to the synthetic (and a new filter) after your first hour if you do the above. Worst thing you can do is take it out and baby it.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Lookin' forward to this thread. Corvettes z-06's come with Mobil 1 synthetic right from the factory. I called Mobil 1 and they said didn't have to switch for break in.

I've run 15-50 from Day 1 in my Sanger. I don't know if it's broke in yet? I'm not even sure how to tell.. There's no smoke cloud following me..
Factory engines, especially a hand built Z06 engine, are broken in before they ever leave the factory.

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks guys, Couple dyno guys around have started complaining that it is getting harder to break these things in, reg oil no good and syn to good.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have had MONSTEROUS luck with Joe Gibbs break in oil. Torco makes there own version of GM's EOS that works well to.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Been running mine on Syntech 10-50 since day 1, 4 years ago. Not a single problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts