Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with a 21 foot deck boat with a carbureted 305 Volvo penta engine. Its about 6 years old. His owners manual states to use a synthetic oil 5W-30 with a SJ rating. He uses Castrol Syntec every year without a problem. This year the guy at the boat marina told him never to use that oil again because the oil companies have changed their formulas, yadda yadda, and that he needs to use an oil with NMMA rating and some blue triangle on the bottle with letters FCW. I told him I dont have a clue but that i would post this question for him. The motor is a 220 HP 305cid carbureted with about 300 hours. What oil and filter should he use that he can find at the local Wal-Mart or Autozone? Thanks, Dave

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
It's not going to make a single bit of a difference what oil he runs, period.

My 454 sure likes Syntech, 5 years now.

"The guy at the marina", is full of crap.

People on here will beat the crap out of Fram filters, yet, I've never seen one fail, and never seen any line of engine failures traced to one.
And out of the MILLIONS made and sold yearly, the occasional, rare failure is to be expected. Nothing man made is ever perfect, every single time.
A rash of them is not.
Heard the OCCASIONAL anecdotal tale, take them fior what you think they are worth.

Personally, I go to Autozone and buy the appropriate K&N Gold, 2qt version ( I THINK it is P/N 6001).
General wisdom here is WIX filters are good, have used before w/o complaint, just haven't recently. I run the K&N's on everything but the lawn mower (2 trucks, 2 motorcycles, and the boat).

The new riding mower has a spin-on filter ...... Hmmmmmmmm................

·
New Guy
24 Posts
I hadn't heard there is an issue with Fram filters. I used an HP6 on a 468 with 500 hp for 5 seasons with no issues. What is supposed to be wrong with them?

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Tell him to keep running his Castrol. Nothing wrong with that oil in that motor. Period.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your normal Fram filter flows(as far as info I can find) between 3-7 gpm. The HP frams are at 10 gpm. Napa (wix) are between 9-11 gpm. K&N says they flow 26 gpm and Moroso shows between 16 and 26 gpm. I'm going to the K&N for my engine from the Napa for more flow.

·
custom boat lover
498 Posts
Some times the worst thing you can do is change to a different oil after all that time of running the same kind of oil. He is better off staying with the castrol syntec 5w-30 like the manual said. Castrol is good oil and if they changed up any formulas, Then there is a good chance castrol changed with it to meet the standerds if it is needed.:)bulb

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info. I'm gonna tell him to stick with what has worked.

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
I hadn't heard there is an issue with Fram filters. I used an HP6 on a 468 with 500 hp for 5 seasons with no issues. What is supposed to be wrong with them?
I purchased a case of HP4s for our BBC dragster and our last time out, the o-ring seal failed on the starting line. These had already been recalled for this problem and these were the replacement units.

Since then, we ran into a good friend who is an executive with Honeywell who shall remain unnamed. His advice to us was to stay away from all Fram products since they purchased the company due to the poor quality of the design, workmanship and lack of quality control. He described it as the biggest customer service nightmare their company ever experienced.

We have since followed his advice and are running System 1 spin-on filters for our spin-on applications.

Actually, one of the best rated conventional filters on the market right now are the "Super Tech" from Wal-Mart if they are built in the USA.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Stick arround, you'll see plenty of Fram-bashing, seldom from anyone who actuallty had a genuine problem with a Fram. Tons of "I heard" and "I've been told".
Doc apparently had, seems like a valid issue there.

There is no telling how many Frams I have run on cars & trucks in 20+ years, also no telling how many saw duty on my boat over her 31 years untill just 2 years ago.

Never had a problem one.

Let alone the ones Dad ran for the last 50+ years (being 73 now).

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK, Fram filter on my 455 in my jet 30-35 psi hot, removed and installed napa gold(wix) 57 psi hot same oil, same day ,no other change.

·
Engine junkie
142 Posts
Fram was a great filter in it's day, no arguing that!
Now that Honeywell bought out Allied signal the filters are made in China and the product quality went S!#t.
Such as; very little filter media per sq. inch, cardboard end caps, plastic bypass springs, and the list goes on.
Again the old filter from Allied where good and used quality components, at least for the money.

For you Fram guys take a Fram filter and cut it apart to inspect, but inspect the build quality instead, then do the same with a K & N, or Wix unit.
Post your findings, you will be amazed at how cheap and poorly made these Fram filters are now, and why you are hearing so much lately about filter failures.
Then ask yourself if that's what you want on your engine.:)hand

·
Registered
441 Posts
Fram was a great filter in it's day, no arguing that!
Now that Honeywell bought out Allied signal the filters are made in China and the product quality went S!#t.
Such as; very little filter media per sq. inch, cardboard end caps, plastic bypass springs, and the list goes on.
Again the old filter from Allied where good and used quality components, at least for the money.

For you Fram guys take a Fram filter and cut it apart to inspect, but inspect the build quality instead, then do the same with a K & N, or Wix unit.
Post your findings, you will be amazed at how cheap and poorly made these Fram filters are now, and why you are hearing so much lately about filter failures.
Then ask yourself if that's what you want on your engine.:)hand
did that in a hydraulics class. Fram is poorly made compared to wix.

·
Registered
435 Posts
if you are like me and run the oil filter bypass blocked on a bbc then it's a good idea to run a filter with great oil flow, K-N oil filters is a good choice

also i have heard full syn oil getting a bad rap for being too slick for roller lifters and the roller just slides down the lobe without rolling and hurting roller lifter bearings and causing lobe wear or failure is this bs.?? I have not made the switch to syn oil yet still using 20/50 vr1 witch isnt cheap but 14 qts of mobile one will get into my beer money.:)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Most of the roller problems with syn oil are with hyd rollers, where there is insufficent spring pressure to insure the roller wheel rotates rather than just sliding across the lobe.

·
Engine junkie
142 Posts
Most of the roller problems with syn oil are with hyd rollers, where there is insufficent spring pressure to insure the roller wheel rotates rather than just sliding across the lobe.
X2

·
AARP Member
732 Posts
If Syn oil is bad for roller lifters, then I doubt that Chevy would use it in it's LS-2 motor. I use Syn in my LS-2 but I use VR-1 in the boat. 565 Bowtie, full roller motor. I also use nothing but Wix fuel and oil filters.
Oil pressure change using different filters can mean more that better oil flow. It could mean that the pressure by-pass is opening or that it is not filtering the oil as well.
I trust products that have a good reputation. Not just from the guy next door, but the guy with a $60K motor that out performs the rest and keeps it together.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
This has been found to be a rumor only. No confirmed cases that I am aware of.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
I use the grey Fram ToughGuard on my Yukon. Says Made in USA and seems to work fine for 116K.
Same here. I don't run the same filter all the time, but I have mostly run Fram until lately. The only reason I don't run Fram all the time is I have been getting good deals on Mobil-1 filters and also Delco. I've never noticed any pressure differences between all of them and have never had any oil filter of any brand fail.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts