Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a TACH and I need some help with the wiring. My old tach only had two wires. One to the Dist. and the other to ground.
GND is Ground.
SIG is that to the Dist.?
12DC do I need to hook this to the key side fo a 12v source?
Light is lights but I have none. Not Needed.

2nd question. All my old ground wires went to the brass bracket that held the old tach in. The new is alumium. Should all these wire be grounded to the battery side of the ground on the bell housing?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Im no wiring guru, but i believe you have it correct.. Sig im guessing "signal" from the distributer. power from the key to the 12v and your grounds... Just find a nice spot to ground it sounds like the ground before was kinda shotty... Just my opinion.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
GND is Ground.
SIG is to the - side of coil/distributor
12VDC to Ignition
Light is not needed

2nd question. They were using the tach bracket/mounting lugs as a terminal block, just connect all the grounds together that were on that bracket and it should be good to go.

·
Seriously off center
2,439 Posts
I'm installing a TACH and I need some help with the wiring. My old tach only had two wires. One to the Dist. and the other to ground.
GND is Ground.
SIG is that to the Dist.?
12DC do I need to hook this to the key side fo a 12v source?
Light is lights but I have none. Not Needed.

2nd question. All my old ground wires went to the brass bracket that held the old tach in. The new is alumium. Should all these wire be grounded to the battery side of the ground on the bell housing?
12V should be a switched 12 volt source. You didn't mention what ignition system you're running, but typically the signal is from the "-" side of the coil, or tach wire on a MSD. Ground and light are just what they sound like. If you have a ground buss bar under the dash, that'll do. If you don't, consider adding one to simplify wiring in the future. Ground should utimately be to the engine block or battery ground.
You didn't mention the brand tach, but if you need a visual, here's instructions for an old Mallory tach I have on Vintage Rod Components. Wiring color won't matter, just the connections.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, I'm dialed in. I don't have a ground block under the dash but I will soon. And yes it's a Auto Meter. How did you know that?

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Thanks everyone, I'm dialed in. I don't have a ground block under the dash but I will soon. And yes it's a Auto Meter. How did you know that?
We sell several hundred a year. and the part number pretty much id'ed it. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts