Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there have an opinion on late 80's Tahiti-Carribean boats? I'm looking to buy one, but other than the 74 Tahiti I owned, I don't much about them. I know the company changed hands, wondering about quility.

Thank you!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We live in Oregon. Most of our boating time is spent on the local rivers and lakes, or at lake Shasta and Oroville Dam in Cali. The boat we are considering is a 19 foot with a BBC, original gel coat and a few go-fast goodies. BTW, your boat is awesome, looks great.

Thanks for your reply.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
earlbrown, That's the year I'm looking at! I'm just not sure about the fuel tank size. It's got the two saddle tanks, I'm not sure if their ten gals. each or more, can you shed some light on that for me? Thanks

· Registered
269 Posts
I'm not positive on the exact capacity as I've yet to run one dry and then fill it to the top.
It seems like they're a little over 15 gallons each. With the location of the fill neck you can't top it off fully if the boat points down hill a little bit. Since I only burn 10 to 15 gallons a trip, I usually just buy what I know the boat has room for.

Attachments

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
earlbrown, Very cool boat, I really like the colors, my wife likes the swim steps on the transum.

2savage4you, Thank you for the fuel tank answer. Although there's no way to know if one boat has the same tank size as another, I'll asume the big blocks hold 15 or so each.

Thank to you both.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, that boat really has some stringers! It looks very well built. Those are long tanks, all my previous boats have only had the round 10 gallon tanks, or a bow tank. Is your hull heavy, comparied to my old Tahiti or Marlin? I've not owned a jet boat with full stringers before.

· Registered
269 Posts
I can't say as I've never weighed it. Since it's my first boat, all of it's specs are, from my perspective, "normal".

When I first had it I made a post on hotboat.com asking for info on her and got a pretty positive review. It's not a lightweight raceboat by any means. From what I gathered it's a great foundation for a boat to beat on and stay in one piece.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just as I hoped, a good foundation for more power! I'm glad to hear the hulls are solid. Your hull looks way beefier than the Marlin I just sold. Thanks for the good report earlbrown

Hey, 2savage4you, is that your white and brown boat on your myspace? That boat looks like a ten. Is that the '85 you were talking about? Engine? Speed? How does it do towing a skier or two? Thanks

h2oracer, good to know the quality of these boats got better. I've seen some real crap come from the boat factories in the early eighties. My understanding is that Hardin tried hard to build a good boat. I always thought Tahiti built a good, solid boat. I hope the tradition lives on in these boats.

· Registered
920 Posts
Tahiti/caribian

Hi, I have seen a few of those boats here and there. Double check the bottom of the boat. They crack along the chins. A good person to ask would be jetboatperformance.com. Tom has a lot of knowlege about different hulls. He also has a great price on parts. I am no pro, just have had good experiances with him. remember parts, info.

· Registered
1,320 Posts
Just as I hoped, a good foundation for more power! I'm glad to hear the hulls are solid. Your hull looks way beefier than the Marlin I just sold. Thanks for the good report earlbrown

Hey, 2savage4you, is that your white and brown boat on your myspace? That boat looks like a ten. Is that the '85 you were talking about? Engine? Speed? How does it do towing a skier or two? Thanks

Thanks , yes its the one on my 'MySpace" page , not the one in the comment section.... That belongs to another myspace friend.

Believe it or not, that damn thing is scared of the water, i cant get her in it:D She is 100% turn key and im on excuse # 339 on why i have not gotten her wet yet.. ( i really dont have any excuses ) But i am dying to find out...

This is my 85 Caribbean:)devil

It does seem to be a very solid float........

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GET THAT BOAT IN THE WATER MISTER!!! That boat is begging to be in the water. Beautiful boat and very lake-worthy, just add gas and a heavy foot. I'll bet it gets tons of attention and questions. Have fun!

· Registered
83 Posts
tahiti

:)handHi guys just my 2 cents, ours is a 87' 21 ft, tahiti, no model name, by hardin marine. yes they are put together very well, i have over 700 hrs on the boat being 2nd owner, but 2 engines, she has 25 gal tanks on both sides so 50 gals at the pumps drains the bank fast too.just as the engine does. we love it.

· History Repeating
596 Posts
My father has a '77 Caribbean by Hardin Marine, bought it new and still owns it. The boat is solid as a rock, rides well and has one large tank up in the bow. Not a rocket my any means but it sounds good, and looks great :)

· Registered
4,169 Posts
Here is my old tahiti (70 something) not sure about the carrabien(sp?) but I was always told mine wasn't a good candidate for speed, because it's a deep entry hull.(whatever that means). Before my energizer kit it was a 55-60 mph boat. 1ST time out with the energizer kit I went 68-69, had to get out ouf the throtle for some cross chop. When I did I thought I lost steering on the boat for a few seconds. Also mine was just 1/4 stringer. Not sure if your boat is or isn't like my hull???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.