Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 19' 74 tahiti. What are the specs on this boat and where would it be placed when in the subject of "performance boat" I have absolutly no info on it and cant seem to find much on the tahiti. Its a 1/4 stringer boat, with a well built olds 455 and Jc pump. I will be slowly building a strong chevy 468 but i want a blown application. At what power ratio should i start looking at a full stringer hull??? And what are some of the cheaper "performance" hulls that are a bit easier to find. Oh and another thing.. the front end of this thing has a form fit block of foam that comes up directly behing the gas pedal. Can this be removed it really sucks tryin to find storage space with 3 people in the boat ;)

Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Take the foam out if it's in your way but replace it with new foat way up in the nose. Get the closed cell expanding foam at the boat shop and put it way up out of your way.
Could save paying for a diver some day.....

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Matt,The best source for info on the Tahiti boat's would be Old Rigger,as He use to work for Tahiti.In fact there is a good chance that He or His Father,may have even had a hand in building You'r boat originally.
I am not sure what model hull You have ,but My boat ,a Kona,is a direct spash of the Tahiti Tiger.
I am not sure if Old Rigger post's on this site,But if not I know he is around on one of the other site's,like socal jetboats,or Banderlog.Try doing a search in the members list.He gennerally loves to talk about the Tahitis....Hal

·
Registered
325 Posts
http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=2225&highlight=bulkhead?
I hope the link works. I have a74 Tahiti also and I just took the foam out.
It took about 1 1/2 hours. I had to cut it into about 6 pieces, even though it
felt like it would just pull out, I didn't. Wear long sleeves and gloves if you have to cut it. My arms itched for 2 days and that stuff gets everywhere.

I was going to install a wood bulkhead with the access hole and put a bunch of the orange life preservers(they're cheap and I have alot of them) up there.

By the way if the link doesn't work, search the paint and fiberglass forum
for "Bulkhead?".

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Dave, I would go with the bulkhead and access hole. Might be a little more work glassing it in but I thing you'll be happier going that route. My bulkhead has been hit (before I got the boat) and it's broken, so for the time being I'll just brace it up with some plywood backing screwed in and then later on this year, when I do the hull refurbish, I'll replace it. IF anyone ever walks on your forward deck you'll be glad for the added support. You might even think about running a spine down the middle of the deck. Just my 2 cents and what I plan to do with my Miller. I may even add another bulkhead forward the one that is in under the dash. I like support.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well from what it looks like ive got the 18' super tiger. My boat its about 18' 5" But looks damn close to that one. where abouts does this boat sit at a performance standpoint??? Looks like the brochure says 875 lbs without engine.... am i reading that correctly?? What i mean is you always hear about the hondos and the sangers etc... Not much about tahiti. Any comparison?

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
Tahiti boats are fine lake/river boats ... never were real high performance race baots ... but more of an all around ski performance boat.

Tahiti owners seem to really like their rides and also seem to keep them for quite some time.

You should try to PM Sharp Shooter here on the boards, I think he has their old magazine ads that he scanned that he can send you??? At least I think he had them.

As Hal said ... find Oldrigger, he has the info you need.

·
Seriously off center
2,439 Posts
I loved my 18 Tiger... kinda wish I still had it at times. They have a good ride and handle very well. Make sure the floor is good as it's a 1/4 stringer boat and if you put some real power to it with a soft floor or stringers, it'll crack worse than a plumber's ass.
You hear about Hondos, but the flats are what made the name, not jets. Build it and enjoy it. Unless you stuff really BIG hp in it, it'll be fine.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Dave, I would go with the bulkhead and access hole. Might be a little more work glassing it in but I thing you'll be happier going that route.

I plan on putting one in, just haven't got to it yet.

Matt
If you go with a blown BBC, a rail kit might be a good idea to help distribute the power across the stringer. (disclaimer: I not a professional, I just like to think I am.:)sphss)
I like the way my boat rides, very stable at speed(except with the diverter up and wakes on the lake). :))eek:))
Built 455,JC Berk, no rideplat or droop.

Ask BikiniHunter what he did with his, I noticed you saw the video.

·
Registered
344 Posts
well from what it looks like ive got the 18' super tiger. My boat its about 18' 5" But looks damn close to that one. where abouts does this boat sit at a performance standpoint??? Looks like the brochure says 875 lbs without engine.... am i reading that correctly?? What i mean is you always hear about the hondos and the sangers etc... Not much about tahiti. Any comparison?
Personally i enjoy building stuff so i built mine. to get it to run what i wanted i set back the pump blueprinted the bottom converted the short stringers to full length added a rail kit, a built pump, shoe, rideplate, etc etc. and alot of HP.

In retrospect I could have bought a gullwing or tunnel and been money ahead without all the headache and turned the same numbers.

dont get me wrong i like my boat but in my opinon if your looking for a pleasure boat they are great. If your looking for a performance boat a tahiti is not it, unless your looking for a big project.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I own a 19' 74 tahiti. What are the specs on this boat and where would it be placed when in the subject of "performance boat" I have absolutly no info on it and cant seem to find much on the tahiti. Its a 1/4 stringer boat, with a well built olds 455 and Jc pump. I will be slowly building a strong chevy 468 but i want a blown application. At what power ratio should i start looking at a full stringer hull??? And what are some of the cheaper "performance" hulls that are a bit easier to find. Oh and another thing.. the front end of this thing has a form fit block of foam that comes up directly behing the gas pedal. Can this be removed it really sucks tryin to find storage space with 3 people in the boat ;) Any info would be appreciated.

While it's true Tahiti's aren't high performance boats, they were raced back in the day and were also the first v-bottom jet boat on the market so it only stands to reason that they were raced. There were even factory backed race boats back then, but that was a long time ago and was only done to market the boat. Tahiti was at one time the worlds fastest jet boat, lol. I always get a kick out of seeing this old ad.

The foam in the nose of your boat is closed cell expanding foam and we had several molds in the shop that we would pour the foam into to get the right size and shape for each different model under 20 feet. We also used a supplier who made the foam blocks at his shop and then delivered them to us to install, but that was only for a short time. I (we) left Tahiti in '74 to go start Hawaiian so I don't know what was done there after that.

Personally I'd ditch the foam to have the useable space, but I can understand others wanting it there for the saftey thing.

As far as the performance end of your boat, you didn't mention what kind of shape the bottom is in? That's far more important that the fact that it has stubby stringers in it. My dads old Hawaiian 20 had short stringers in it and ran 72-3 mph and he was a happy camper. Bottom line is, it was built and sold as a family ski boat, nothing more. You want to go faster than 70 or so, I'd get a better hull and for me that would be a Rogers...but that's just what I like. Every one on this site has a favorite boat.

Someone mentioned the 16 Tahiti bubble, cool little boat and I've been on the hot and cold trail of the molds for about 2 years, always ending up at a dead end. A guy in my neighborhood has one that his parents bought brand new, butt ugly green and gold flake but the hull is laser straight and the dash was never drilled except for the steering. It has some funky console thing in it that holds all the gauges and ign switch. I've talked to him a few times about selling it and he's never made up his mind about it but did tell me he woud have to get at least 800 bucks for it, so keep in touch with him on it. My old friend, who was a rigger with my dad, has expressed interest in teaming up and popping a mold from it if I can get it cheap enough. We have about 5 guys that want one so maybe we could just about cover the cost of the mold if we could build 7 hulls. My buddy actually had a splash of the 16 bubble in the late 70s and built his own line of boats on the side but sold them to a guy in Texas. Can't find those either. :D

·
burnt mexican incorprated
363 Posts
wow .... i love it when you come on here old rigger ... so much info and stories too ...what else do you have ....knowledge to share!!!:)hand

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Splashed from a Tahiti

Hey Mirrorimage, Nice Tahiti. Your model hull is the one that My Kona is splashed from.
I don't think that Kona changed any thing about the hull, except for the stringers. All the Kona's that I have seen ,including mine ,came with full length stringers...Hal

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
While it's true Tahiti's aren't high performance boats, they were raced back in the day and were also the first v-bottom jet boat on the market so it only stands to reason that they were raced. There were even factory backed race boats back then, but that was a long time ago and was only done to market the boat. Tahiti was at one time the worlds fastest jet boat, lol. I always get a kick out of seeing this old ad.

The foam in the nose of your boat is closed cell expanding foam and we had several molds in the shop that we would pour the foam into to get the right size and shape for each different model under 20 feet. We also used a supplier who made the foam blocks at his shop and then delivered them to us to install, but that was only for a short time. I (we) left Tahiti in '74 to go start Hawaiian so I don't know what was done there after that.

Personally I'd ditch the foam to have the useable space, but I can understand others wanting it there for the saftey thing.

As far as the performance end of your boat, you didn't mention what kind of shape the bottom is in? That's far more important that the fact that it has stubby stringers in it. My dads old Hawaiian 20 had short stringers in it and ran 72-3 mph and he was a happy camper. Bottom line is, it was built and sold as a family ski boat, nothing more. You want to go faster than 70 or so, I'd get a better hull and for me that would be a Rogers...but that's just what I like. Every one on this site has a favorite boat.

Someone mentioned the 16 Tahiti bubble, cool little boat and I've been on the hot and cold trail of the molds for about 2 years, always ending up at a dead end. A guy in my neighborhood has one that his parents bought brand new, butt ugly green and gold flake but the hull is laser straight and the dash was never drilled except for the steering. It has some funky console thing in it that holds all the gauges and ign switch. I've talked to him a few times about selling it and he's never made up his mind about it but did tell me he woud have to get at least 800 bucks for it, so keep in touch with him on it. My old friend, who was a rigger with my dad, has expressed interest in teaming up and popping a mold from it if I can get it cheap enough. We have about 5 guys that want one so maybe we could just about cover the cost of the mold if we could build 7 hulls. My buddy actually had a splash of the 16 bubble in the late 70s and built his own line of boats on the side but sold them to a guy in Texas. Can't find those either. :D

Wow, so you're one of the founders of Hawaiian boats! That's pretty cool!

Sorry about the thread jack, just thought that this might be the best place to put this post. I have a 19' 79 Hawaiian. I've been thinking about removing the large hunk of foam in the front of my boat. It is a full stringer boat. Does the foam serve any other purpose other than being a flotation device for the boat if it starts to sink? Does it help dampen the blows of smacking the water any? I would really like to remove it to open up lots of storage space and to easily install a light on the nose. Would this be a wise decision? Thank you.

And if you have any other information about my boat that you would like to add I would really appreciate it. Every time I do an internet search all I come up with is people trying to sell their boats and there's not a lot of people in my area that know too much about jet boats, so I really know nothing about the boat. Thank you for your time.

Here are some pictures of the boat when I first got it. Sadly it was in rough condition and it's been crammed onto a trailer that it's not meant to be on by the previous owner. But I am in the process of slowly restoring it. Going to go with the original paint design when I do get around to painting it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
hey guys,
how about tahiti's of the late 80's. any history, I've looked around a bit but really dont find anything of intrest, mine is 21' tahiti put together by hardin marine. thats all i know about it. boat_scaled.jpg

1 - 20 of 182 Posts