Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Pug Wrangler
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did that WALL taste??

You may be fast, but you can't outrun Kharma.

Block me once, it's all good. Block me twice and you're going in the grandstand.

Great to see Tony get a chance to run his own deal and show everyone what he can REALLY do.

Can't wait to see Lil' Bush WHINE!!!

· "The" masheenist
5,381 Posts
Not a nascar hater. Nobody shows up to a race for second.

But I just have to wonder if it were Jeff Gordon pushing his way to the front, would you still feel the same bud?

Brian

· "The" masheenist
5,381 Posts
Wrecking someone intentionally to me is very dangerous.

At those speeds killing someone is very possible.

Damage to ten cars, in the millions.

Brian

· Pug Wrangler
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To answer in sequence..

If it were Jeff Gordon, I doubt he would have come all the way across the track with less than a 1/4 mile to go in an attempt to block another car. He would have stayed in his lane. Bush might have won the race if he would have pulled down to the low groove and denied Tony the "side draft".

Secondly, Tony did nothing. Bush came across his hood and wrecked himself. There WAS an intentional wreck...which was the #18 car wrecking himself. I don't like seeing anyone wrecking anyone else on purpose, which is why I was never a huge Dale Sr fan.

Third, I do know how much cost and effort goes into a race car, which is why I am ABSOLUTELY opposed to drivers doing burnouts after the race. Those Cup engines are expensive works of art, and to grenade one just to celebrate shows disrespect for the engine builder annd denies them the data they might have gained during a post-race teardown/inspection.

Trust me, I'm as Old-School as you...which is why I don't like cocky little guitar smashers like Lil' Bush who have had their entire NASCAR career handed to them on a silver platter. Anyone who has driven nothing but Hendrick and Gibbs equipment since age 15 has hardly "paid their dues". Almost anyone could be come a Superstar given the same advantage.

· Registered
2,573 Posts
Wrecking someone intentionally to me is very dangerous.

At those speeds killing someone is very possible.

Damage to ten cars, in the millions.

Brian
Thats Stock Car racing, but Tony just didn't let off when Kyle came down on him the for the second block. Same happened to Carl. I'm no Tony fan but if you are going to block be ready to pay the price.

· "The" masheenist
5,381 Posts
I stand by what I said.

All I have to add is that the engine/tires are done being used anyway. The gearbox may be rebuilt, but most of the components in any upper echelon car will be removed and used in a lower series, sold to a private party, or scrapped.

Nowadays with multi-car teams there is plenty of data to be had from endurance testing or other teams.

Brian

Third, I do know how much cost and effort goes into a race car, which is why I am ABSOLUTELY opposed to drivers doing burnouts after the race. Those Cup engines are expensive works of art, and to grenade one just to celebrate shows disrespect for the engine builder annd denies them the data they might have gained during a post-race teardown/inspection.

· Pug Wrangler
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do agree, to a point. But it's also the principle. That's why I like guys like Mark Martin to win. Grab the checkered flag and do a victory lap. You've already done your talking on the track and won the race. No need to disrespect your equipment by burning it to the ground showing off. Yes, it is a machine and has served its purpose, but I think if your ride has done its job and taken you to victory lane you shouldn't punish it.

· "The" masheenist
5,381 Posts
It's all good bud, difference of opinion, anyway to celebrate the win is alright.

What about the guitar smashing deal, I heard about it, but what is the story?

If your ride has done it's job, I am sure it doesn't mind doing one final burnout before it is dissasembled and scattered to the 4 winds.

You have an affection for used up race motors don't you? haha.

I would hate to see you shed tears for the innards of a fuel motor. Now that is talking about race car abuse.

Brian

I do agree, to a point. But it's also the principle. That's why I like guys like Mark Martin to win. Grab the checkered flag and do a victory lap. You've already done your talking on the track and won the race. No need to disrespect your equipment by burning it to the ground showing off. Yes, it is a machine and has served its purpose, but I think if your ride has done its job and taken you to victory lane you shouldn't punish it.

· Pug Wrangler
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am actually iimpressed at how far things have come in drag racing with the fuel motors. Ten years ago, the bullets were "throw away" pieces and oil-downs were common. When I worked at Rodeck, we regularly saw "windows" in blocks that were big enough to stick your fist through.

Now, these guys are getting whole race weekends out of blocks and entire race days out of parts that used to be strictly single run pieces. The 1000ft deal has helped, but there is no doubt that the teams have placed an emphasis upon quality control when it comes to bulding short blocks at the shop.

As far as used up engines...I have never abused anything I've driven because I still believe all machines have a soul. Call it silly... but then again I've only blown up ONE engine in my whole life of truck driving, boating, drag racing, ATV's, motorcycles and stock car racing. Probably 1.2 million miles and counting...and I think that's a good record.

· "The" masheenist
5,381 Posts
Yes sir they do.

I am still not convinced the burnout is disrepectful, they sound so beautiful all wound-up.

I still have a two-peice crank from my VW and body parts from a motorcycle mishap.

Sentimental values.

Brian

As far as used up engines...I have never abused anything I've driven because I still believe all machines have a soul. Call it silly... but then again I've only blown up ONE engine in my whole life of truck driving, boating, drag racing, ATV's, motorcycles and stock car racing. Probably 1.2 million miles and counting...and I think that's a good record.

· Banned
1,484 Posts
I think the guys that burn up the motors by doing burnouts after a win never
struggled financially to run a race team or saved their money to buy a car.

· Pug Wrangler
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EXACTLY. And exactly why Tony Stewart has taken a giant step forward this year as a team owner. Driving a sprint car requires that you drive on the edge in a car that has WAY too much HP for the conditions most of the time.

Kyle Busch has NEVER had to rebuild or pay for a rebuild on an engine he burned down during a race...which is why he floors the throttle after a win to the point where all the internals come out of the tailpipe in flames.

Meltdowns are expected in NHRA, but I dare say that Larry Dixon has ruined fewer parts this season than Baby Busch.

· LHC Architect
1,507 Posts
How did that WALL taste??
more accurate would be to ask Casey what Kyle's pooper tasted like, that was on hell of a hit, even little Joey hopped on the band wagon and center punched Kyle (guess they are teaching Little Joey right):D

sad #5 was out so early (my guy)

congrats to Stewart/Haas on a stellar year so far:)devil

· Banned
1,484 Posts
I think the young guns should watch how Petty, Pearson, Baker handled themselves after a win- same as the football players that go nuts after a play-
Jim Brown and Walter Payton would just hand the ball to the ref after a nice run...class

· Pug Wrangler
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep...Never understood why these idiots jumped around and tried to bring attention to themselves after scoring or winning. THAT is your JOB...and what you get paid millions to do. As thesaying goes:

"THE PERSON WHO EXALTS HIMSELF WILL BE HUMBLED AND THE PERSON WHO IS HUMBLE WILL BE EXALTED."

I was also cracking up at the symbolism of Kyle taking it up the tailpipe. Funny that he can't find enough media to talk to when he wins, yet when he screws the pooch he "declines" to be interviewed. What a punk. So much for being gracious in victory AND defeat.

Tony has more class and talent in his little toe than Lil' bush will EVER have. Would love to see Kyle race a sprint car for a few laps...that's as long as he would last before the ambulance was dispatched.

· Registered
2,149 Posts
I heard Kyle B. was going to start his own race team "Snively Bitch Race Team".:D

The dude has no class, never has. I think Tony showed some real class in his interview, apologizing for wrecking a disrespectful prick is a little out of character for Smoke, But maybe a sign of maturity on his part.

GT :)hand

· Banned
1,484 Posts
I cant remember the exact deal but Tony owns a track and had a all star invite shootout deal where he promptly wrecked someone who had crashed him in the series a few weeks earlier...Or when he acted bad and got reprimanded by Home Depot and went out and won the next week dispelling any talk of losing Depot as a sponsor..Tony Stewart is a funny guy..I think he could have hung in on the dirt with any of the old schoolers.

· Large Member
2,130 Posts
Trust me, I'm as Old-School as you...which is why I don't like cocky little guitar smashers like Lil' Bush who have had their entire NASCAR career handed to them on a silver platter. Anyone who has driven nothing but Hendrick and Gibbs equipment since age 15 has hardly "paid their dues". Almost anyone could be come a Superstar given the same advantage.
That explains the careers of Ricky Craven, Brian Vickers, Casey Mears, J.J Yeley, etc. All had the same Hendrick or Gibbs equipment but hardly had the same results........

IIRC Kyle drives for Billy Ballew Motorsports in the Truck series. Hardly a Hendrick or Gibbs funded team. Not to mention the kid doesn't even get paid to drive the truck. He does it for free. Yet he leads almost every race.

I guess when you are in the Top 10 everytime you park your a$$ in a racecar, it must have nothing to do w/ talent.:)bulb

That's ok...........the most talented were always hated when they first came up...............Waltrip, Gordon, Busch...............

:)hand

· Pug Wrangler
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, there's no doubt Lil' Bush has talent in a very specific set of circumstances, but you also have to realize NASCAR's history when it comes to supporting the "flavor of the month".

He is probably more talented than Craven, Mears and Vickers...which isn't saying much. As far as Yeley, we've raced against him and he would school Lil' Bush on any track in any open wheeled machine at any time. I never thought he should give up on his roots because his driving style does not work well in stock cars-like Dave Blaney.

NASCAR has no interest in seeing Busch finish outside the Top 10 in any series, so he will always receive a nod in inspections. And if you think his truck team doesn't benefit from his relationship with Gibbs...puh-lease. There is a long history of this sanctioning body makaing stars out of people. Read Smokey Yunick's books...They have the power to make average drivers into winners, good drivers into champions and excellent drivers into superstars.

· Registered
787 Posts
It's all good bud, difference of opinion, anyway to celebrate the win is alright.

What about the guitar smashing deal, I heard about it, but what is the story?

If your ride has done it's job, I am sure it doesn't mind doing one final burnout before it is dissasembled and scattered to the 4 winds.

You have an affection for used up race motors don't you? haha.

I would hate to see you shed tears for the innards of a fuel motor. Now that is talking about race car abuse.

Brian
Hey Brian what i have heard is that Kyle told his crew he was going to d that guitar thing so that each of the crew members could have a piece of it, A stupid and totally irresponsible, but totally Kyle thing to do....The man who made the guitar is still in Shock.......

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.