Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Some guy
3,610 Posts
Sooooooooo..............is a tall deck a good engine for a boat ?
It's a great base for a stroker engine, you can use longer rods. The "stock" 454 truck tall deck is a truck engine, 4 ring heavy piston, not designed for performance.

The biggest issue is if you want to use your same intake and distributor, you will find they don't fit. You can use spacer plates for the intake, but still need a tall deck distributor, or you can buy a tall deck intake, many of which now will use a standard distributor.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The specs.

Chevrolet Mark V Tall Deck BBC 454 Professionally built to be an estimated 600 HP-- Never Fired.
+Mark V 454 Block, 4 bolt mains
+502 New GM Forged Steel Crank
+Heavy Duty Racing GM 7/16 Forged Rods
+9 3/4:1 Comp. TRW Forged Pistons .60 over
+Internally BALANCED with flywheel
+Roller timing chain
+Crane Roller Cam
+Heads Ported and Chambers cc'ed (ovals)
+Extreme Duty Manley OVERSIZED Valves
+Manley Valve Girdles
+Crane Triple Valve Springs
+High Volume Oil Pump and Deep Oil Pan
+Edelbrock Aluminium Intake Manifold
No Carburator, Distributor, Roller Lifters, Push Rods or Roller Rockers.

This was a no expense spared build, highest quality everything. Real Deal, Serious Motor looking for a serious buyer. I have over $8,500

·
Some guy
3,610 Posts
The specs.

Chevrolet Mark V Tall Deck BBC 454 Professionally built to be an estimated 600 HP-- Never Fired.
+Mark V 454 Block, 4 bolt mains
+502 New GM Forged Steel Crank
+Heavy Duty Racing GM 7/16 Forged Rods
+9 3/4:1 Comp. TRW Forged Pistons .60 over
+Internally BALANCED with flywheel
+Roller timing chain
+Crane Roller Cam
+Heads Ported and Chambers cc'ed (ovals)
+Extreme Duty Manley OVERSIZED Valves
+Manley Valve Girdles
+Crane Triple Valve Springs
+High Volume Oil Pump and Deep Oil Pan
+Edelbrock Aluminium Intake Manifold
No Carburator, Distributor, Roller Lifters, Push Rods or Roller Rockers.

This was a no expense spared build, highest quality everything. Real Deal, Serious Motor looking for a serious buyer. I have over $8,500

As I told you in PM,, something seems not right. Stock GM 7/16" rods would require the use of a "truck" piston, similar to the stock 4 ring model. Certainly not a "no expense spared" kind of engine. The "oversize valves" may be covering up sunken seats in a truck oval port head.

This one would require careful inspection prior to purchase in my opinion, including but not limited to removing at least one head, and probably the pan if it is bolted on.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 Sav, you changin your mind again??? J/K

No.. it would have been a half the money down thing and payments. I liked that idea , get a motor in the boat this season:)devil

But thanks to the few...."You know who you are":)hand that set me straight. It dont look like i can take any shortcuts , and nobody else wants to sell one on payments.....

Too risky i would think:)sphss

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I told you in PM,, something seems not right. Stock GM 7/16" rods would require the use of a "truck" piston, similar to the stock 4 ring model. Certainly not a "no expense spared" kind of engine. The "oversize valves" may be covering up sunken seats in a truck oval port head.

This one would require careful inspection prior to purchase in my opinion, including but not limited to removing at least one head, and probably the pan if it is bolted on.

Barry , you have been more than helpfull :)devil

Thanks again.......

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts

The GM Rod with 7/16" bolts was the racing High Performance rod, generally only found "stock" in the L88 427's and the LS6 and 7 454's.

Both are 4340 steel alloy
P/N 14096151 in a pressed pin style (knurled shank bolts, LS6 & LS7 454's)
P/N 3969804 in a full-floating pin style (the HD racing version) 7/16" ground Boron Steel bolts. Green color coded rod, top of the line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts