Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

· Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don't get when a guy ties up to the dock while his wife and kids are on board. Then he walks up, how ever far away the truck is, then backs to the boat along the dock..

Meanwhile, the ramp is fubar, and nobody can get on the dock to load/unload.. You know, use it for what it is for..

What's wrong with teaching your wife to drive the damm boat? It's not very hard.

Only thing I think is more lame is making the wife back the truck, while the guy sits in the boat and yells at her while she jack-knifes from side to side, all the way down the ramp.

If your wife is too scared to learn, it probably because you're too much of an ass.. Might need to look into that.

· Premium Member
2,108 Posts
We tried both ways, she just was uncomfortable with the whole deal. So before we got our slip at the marina, I would just make sure I launched and retrieved VERY early in the morning. I did not want to take up ramp or dock time. Some gals back the trailers up better than we do!!!:D

· Broke mo fo
3,160 Posts
I tried to teach my wife to back the trailer. She was better than most but still didn't feel real comfortable doing it. Then I put her behind the wheel of the boat. She feels a lot more comfortable now and embarrasses a lot of guys when she one shots it on the trailer. :)devil:D

· Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We tried both ways, she just was uncomfortable with the whole deal. So before we got our slip at the marina, I would just make sure I launched and retrieved VERY early in the morning. I did not want to take up ramp or dock time. Some gals back the trailers up better than we do!!!:D
I appreciate the fact that you you're courteous enough to launch at off-peak times if it's gonna be slow. Wish more people practiced a little courtesy.

Comfort comes with practice. When my wife was learning (we all do). I'd back the trailer in the water, then run out onto the back of the traler. All she had to do was aim for me then shut it off when I nodded. I'd wrangle the boat on the trailer from there.. Yeah it was amusement for many a couple of times. But with a little patience she learned to stick the landings. She trailers the boat better than I can now.

· Nordic 35' Flame
515 Posts
Well, I don't know where you boat, but our ramp is 10 lanes with two docks. The docks are allowed to be used for 15 minutes, so whats the big damn deal if someone uses it? I launch and retrieve by myself quite often and use the dock every time. When my wife is along, she is not comfortable backing the truck or driving the boat...(not because she can't, but because she's usually DRUNK!):D So unless you know another way to get the truck magically to pull itself into the water, excuse me while I use the facilities that I also paid for and have rights to use.

· Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried to teach my wife to back the trailer. She was better than most but still didn't feel real comfortable doing it. Then I put her behind the wheel of the boat. She feels a lot more comfortable now and embarrasses a lot of guys when she one shots it on the trailer. :)devil:D

Right on!!! It's really rare if my fenders are wet for more than 45 seconds before we're trailered. Clip the bow and gone.

· Registered
30 Posts
never had a problem with the wife backing the truck, just went up to a 30ft triple axle and she got it perfect first time. what does suck are all the cool guys at the ramp trying to(help) her! just get out of her way, shes usually quicker than most of the guys trying to show her what to do!.....

sorry for the rant, just hate guys trying to grab the bow hook thinking she cant handle it..........:mad:

· Premium Member
310 Posts
Consider yourself lucky. My lady does not want any part of either backing the trailer or driving the boat. Her role is "boat candy." We load and unload at off peak hours and 9 times out of 10 I can load my boat faster than anybody else on the ramp. That includes walking up to get the truck and backing it in.

· Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I don't know where you boat, but our ramp is 10 lanes with two docks. The docks are allowed to be used for 15 minutes, so whats the big damn deal if someone uses it? I launch and retrieve by myself quite a lot and use the dock every time. When my wife is along, she is not comfortable backing the truck or driving the boat...(not because she can't, but because she's usually DRUNK!):D So unless you know another way to get the truck magically to pull itself into the water, excuse me while I use the facilities that I also paid for and have rights to use.
I'm referring to smaller two lane ramps for the most part, where one boat kills the show..

But just curious. While you're tied to the dock for 15 minutes how are the the other 8 lanes supposed to get off/on so they can get their boat?

· Registered
643 Posts
been there, done that...no thanks. I'd rather waist your time than my money. I'm not an ass. You just need some patience? It's pretty overwhelming for my wife when you have some big boats and some big assholes around the dock. I think the people you should be bitching about are the ones that aren't ready when they back in. Serously, it's people with your attitude that ruin the river/lake relaxing life style. rock on:)devil

· Floatin dirty
4,837 Posts
Well, I don't know where you boat, but our ramp is 10 lanes with two docks. The docks are allowed to be used for 15 minutes, so whats the big damn deal if someone uses it? I launch and retrieve by myself quite often and use the dock every time. When my wife is along, she is not comfortable backing the truck or driving the boat...(not because she can't, but because she's usually DRUNK!):D So unless you know another way to get the truck magically to pull itself into the water, excuse me while I use the facilities that I also paid for and have rights to use.

Good points, my wife is 6 months pregnant and I am not making her walk to get the truck anymore so I tie up and run up and get my truck. I am not at the dock for more then 5 minutes. She used to back the truck down for me and I would idle outside at the bouy line until she was backing down.

· 8anned
4,041 Posts
Only thing I think is more lame is making the wife back the truck, while the guy sits in the boat and yells at her while she jack-knifes from side to side, all the way down the ramp.
Good thing my wife backs it up straighter than you most likely do. :)sphss

· Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
been there, done that...no thanks. I'd rather waist your time than my money. I'm not an ass. You just need some patience? It's pretty overwhelming for my wife when you have some big boats and some big assholes around the dock. I think the people you should be bitching about are the ones that aren't ready when they back in. Serously, it's people with your attitude that ruin the river/lake relaxing life style. rock on:)devil
I'm the one with the attitude problem.. Got it.

· Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good points, my wife is 6 months pregnant and I am not making her walk to get the truck anymore so I tie up and run up and get my truck. I am not at the dock for more then 5 minutes. She used to back the truck down for me and I would idle outside at the bouy line until she was backing down.
How bout letting her drive the boat?? Then make her walk again, once the baby arrives.:p

· Nordic 35' Flame
515 Posts
I'm referring to smaller two lane ramps for the most part, where one boat kills the show..

But just curious. While you're tied to the dock for 15 minutes how are the the other 8 lanes supposed to get off/on so they can get their boat?
The docks are on the outside edge of the 10 lanes so that lane 1 & 10 are inside of the docks. Those two lanes are for loosers like me that don't bring friends or family to help with the boat. The docks are long enough for two boats easily to tie up, I've launched several times with a boat tied up at the far end of the dock and had plenty of room to back my 35' boat in and get it off of the trailer. Then there is the outside of the docks, where another 2 or 3 boats could be tied if just picking up or dropping off people, finally there is the end of the dock, when I do take someone that I trust to back the trailer or know that hasn't been drinking, I just pull up to the end of the dock and drop them there.

Here is a picture on one of the busy days...:D

· Registered
30 Posts
maybe i just found a new second job for the wife, she can teach everyone's wifes how to properly back a trailer. that solves everyones problem and i get a little financial assistance with the new boat payment!:)devil

that way i could drop her off at work while i'm on the lake!

1 - 20 of 134 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.