Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
June 13, 2008

Today we lost one of the greatest boat racers, and best men, of our time. Terry Troxell passed away in his home following a massive heart attack. Terry was a loving husband, father, and grandfather, and was a mentor to myself and so many other racers across the country. Through the decades, Terry won many championships and set countless records in APBA inboard hydroplanes. His long partnership with Bob and Barbara Schultz in the “Stinger” National Modified remains one of the most dominant programs in inboard history. His current ride with Mac Elliott’s “Macks Out” is all but unbeatable in Region 10, and the team planned for a national high point run in 2009. Terry also scored an impressive win at the Tri Cities Columbia Cup driving Fred Leland’s U-99. One of Terry’s finest moments was driving the U-13 to victory in Detroit at the APBA Gold Cup. A racer could always count on Terry to help with a setup concern, or help diagnose a problem. In fact, often times Terry was spread so thin at races, there would be a frantic search to round him up so that he could drive a heat. Terry also worked tirelessly as an officer for Tacoma Inboard Racing Association. Terry has always been someone I have looked up to, and his demeanor is something we all can aspire to. His untimely death is a shock to his whole family, and we all appreciate the racing community’s warmth and well-wishes. Memorial arrangements will be forthcoming.

Kip Brown, Son-in law
E-55, GP-18, U-17

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was totally shocked & deeply saddened to learn of Terry's passing today. I had the pleasure of first meeting Terry about 5 years ago whilst living & racing in the Seattle area. Terry was a great guy with a stellar boat racing career & someone who I was lucky enough to be able to call a mate. I am also lucky enough to have one of Terry's awesome Troxilla helmet paint designs on my helmet. To Sue, Tiffany, Kip and the entire family, our thoughts & prayers are with you. You will be missed mate.

Chris & Andrea Kenner

·
Registered
773 Posts
Rip

i will miss you terry. always enjoyed watching you race. i raced with terry back in the late 80's to early 90's. i drove a 5 liter hydro. he was a great help to all racers. he always had something postive to say to everyone. we will miss terry. :)hand

·
Registered
287 Posts
This a great loss to inboard racing. Terry was a great guy, I can't remember a race when he didn't stop to say hi to Cara and I. I will miss him.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good Bye

Truely shocking and bad news. I had many good racing battles with Terry in the the late 90's in National Mod. Terry had a way of making you dig deep inside of yourself to perform at his level. To know him was to respect him, our sport has lost one of the greats his family has lost much more. Gods speed ole buddy.

Scott Schatz

·
Pronounced Paul "W"
181 Posts
Real sorry to hear about this Kip. My condolences to Sue, Tiffany and yourself along with the rest of the extended family.

Godspeed Terry. RIP

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everybody for your kind words. The outpouring of support from the racing community has been incredible. This is an enormously difficult time, especially for Tiffany and Sue, and it's so nice to know that our racing friends are there for us. A memorial will be held at the Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum this Saturday. The event will begin around 2:00 PM (final details to come). Everyone is welcome. When details are solid, I will be sure to post.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Kip

Truely sorry for this loss, may the hand of God be upon all family and those who are effected! Very sad indeed.

·
Break Out Another Thousnd
2,040 Posts
We're so very sorry to hear of your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I admired and respected Terry Troxell as a racer for many,many years without ever meeting him. His skill,determination, record and achievements speak for themselves. In the last few years I got to know Terry personally
and had a equal respect for him as a man. I consider it a privilege to have gotten to know him. It is common to say that someone will be missed, in my case, that could not be more true. Going to the races will not be the same.

Sorry for your loss, Kip, Tiffany, Sue and the rest of the family.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts