Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...........what do you all think will happen??:)bulb I went and did a decible test on my kids boats and it was bouncing between 84dB and 90.4dB @ 700 rpms. (On a new OSHA certified db meter). The law is 86dB at idle. If you were a DNR or Sheriff would let it slide or say no.....86dB and that is it? The DNR guy here said last year that he would work with us as long as he seen we are trying and would give us a couple dB's. We will find out.........I made the call to him to setup a appointment to get it tested by him.:)Unsure

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
It depends if he got laid that morning. lol I've always wondered ...is that test at idle on the trailer, or in the water? Or does it vary state to state.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tomorrow at 8 bells we will find out from the PoPo himself. He said to bring along my meter and we will compare and he said he would calibrate mine if needs to be done.:)bulb 2 runs (sitting still in water) for 10 seconds and average it out and give us 2 dB.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Just bring your avatar and he may be distracted to the point that he dosent even notice the meter readings.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4trax what you running for mufflers now?
Honestly I really don't know. I will go look out on the web to see if I can find the ones that these look like.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Throw a little extra water at them. Who would want to stand close behind that.. :D I've been chased around by the DNR or whatever it is up there and I have logs. It keeps me away from some of the nicer lakes in Wis. where they really lay down the rules. Good luck.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Throw a little extra water at them. Who would want to stand close behind that.. :D I've been chased around by the DNR or whatever it is up there and I have logs. It keeps me away from some of the nicer lakes in Wis. where they really lay down the rules. Good luck.
We are gonna try it on the up and up first to see if we pass. If we don't then we will go to plan B (water) and if that don't work we will go plan C (Shotguns) then he will pass.;)

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
You can reverse them to for a little extra silence. Good luck bobby

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
It depends if he got laid that morning. lol I've always wondered ...is that test at idle on the trailer, or in the water? Or does it vary state to state.
In Kansas the rule is 85 decibels, 50 feet, at idle.

Yes it varies state by state.

At idle my tips are submerged and blowing bubbles, no concerns arround here.

Thru Transom headers, the way of the future people.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well we did not pass. Came in at 89dB and the DNR will subtract 2 (like air boats get) That put us at 87dB. The limit is 86dB. To me this is all a big joke, the human ear can not differentiate 3dB not till 4-6dB's can a human tell the difference so...................why not let it go?:|err Going to add water to headers at idle. How many dB is that good for do you guys think? I will be adding the water to the headers where evac lines would go, way up by the collectors. This will be ball valve operated so when he wants to test us we turn water on a little. When we pass, off goes the water and clean up the mess;)

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Why don't you just by a set of clamp on mufflers and be done with it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He don't want to mess up the clean look of just headers and does want to restrict anymore then it already is. I said slap the dam shotguns and be done with it.:|err

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
If we want to use these boats in the future we better start getting used to a new look. Here is what will be going on the hydro this summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If we want to use these boats in the future we better start getting used to a new look. Here is what will be going on the hydro this summer.
Are those Gibson's?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rat.....................come on........do you really think Duck tape will really work:D

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Next time you go test, retard the timing by two or three degrees (at idle), the difference is astounding.......

We dropped five db on a full race deal with just double sprung Shot Guns...no other mufflers and dry. ;)

GT :)hand

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
CMI headers and 4 inch stainless diesel mufflers I found on Ebay. When done the mufflers will be angled up to clear the transom.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts