·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the process for testing a coil?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Hook up 12v to the positive side, put your finger on the secondary terminal, and tap a ground on the negative terminal......let us k ow how it turns out

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More info

Mallory Unilite dizzy, Mallory coil. I'm chasing a gremlin that's taken 800-1000 RPM and 12 mph from me. So far I've r&r the fuel pump & regulator, rebuilt the dizzy, went from a 4150 intake to a Team G with a 4150-4500 adapter on it, swapped my old 850 for a fresh 1050. All with no better, and sometimes worsening results. I'm going to do a compression check tomorrow, hoping I didn't burn down the heads. It's running rich by the plugs, dark gray color on the porcelain, pipes have blued from the flange to the collector. I think it's time for a new engine...

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Change the coil. Contrary to popular belief, they don't last for ever, and they will steal RPM. So will your spark plug wires, but its usually the coil wire that bows out first. I would dump the coil. If it has a ballast resister, and it should, try replacing it first. Its cheaper. But the coil is the worset culprit because it is a saturation problem, and they just lose R's. No misfire, just lose R's

Go down to the paragraph that starts out "the one and only test session......."

LINK: Rabotnick's FE

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts