Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Pro Gas Jet
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the guys here swear when i bring The Pearl back I'll lose a 1/2 second.. they think Ill be running 8.70's vs the 8.20's in bakersfield..
can some of you guys shed light on the weather conditions in cali vs texas.. I know BP should have something to say on this one. lets compare May, for weather conditions.

·
Ain't Right Racin
1,706 Posts
the guys here swear when i bring The Pearl back I'll lose a 1/2 second.. they think Ill be running 8.70's vs the 8.20's in bakersfield..
can some of you guys shed light on the weather conditions in cali vs texas.. I know BP should have something to say on this one. lets compare May, for weather conditions.
I'M NO EXPERT JUST ASK AROUND!! BUT I WOULD LAY $$ WITH THE SAME TUNE 2-3TENTHS SLOWER. The is WATER THINNER (I think) WORSE AIR (for sure) .I'll buy the beer eather way look me up Craig

·
Speedy Member
6,785 Posts
I'M NO EXPERT JUST ASK AROUND!! BUT I WOULD LAY $$ WITH THE SAME TUNE 2-3TENTHS SLOWER. The is WATER THINNER (I think) WORSE AIR (for sure) .I'll buy the beer eather way look me up Craig
Im with Piston.

I ran high 7.40s with my PGF at Chowchilla then went straight to Waco and ran 7.67 but only made one pass. Then went to Chouteau and ran 7.59. Then went to Marble Falls and ran 7.57. You can expect to lose 2 tenths for sure but .5? :))ThumbsDwn Make some money on the deal!!:shhh:

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Texas

It really depends which Texas track your talking about. Middle of the state & east no worries....now west Texas is like another country when it comes to adjusted altitude.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Im with Piston.

I ran high 7.40s with my PGF at Chowchilla then went straight to Waco and ran 7.67 but only made one pass. Then went to Chouteau and ran 7.59. Then went to Marble Falls and ran 7.57. You can expect to lose 2 tenths for sure but .5? :))ThumbsDwn Make some money on the deal!!:shhh:
i'd tend agree with this. but if the comparison is rob, he's run 8.20s or so in november at ming. from what i remember, chow was always in june/july, not quite the same air as ming in november.

rob, it really depends where you go. like patty said, if you were to go to san angelo or lubbock, you could be down more than .3 because they have no air to breath at either of those places. either way, you'll be faced with a learning curve because tuning the engine or hardware back there is different than ming, no matter where it is. water back there is way warm compared to ming (80-85 vs mid 50s), and the air can fake you out. all the years running marble falls, i'd plan on .3 and toss a completely different setup at it before i left, and then fine tune it from there. a setup that, if i tried to run it at ming (and i have), it'll toss the whole boat out of the water at 1000'. if you get it setup and tuned correctly for the conditions, i'd expect it to lose somewhere between .2 to .3. nowhere near .5. but the conditions can go from sorta bad to real ugly at different places back there, no matter which track it is.

in any event, what races/class would you be trying to run back there???

·
Pro Gas Jet
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
texas heat

good idea Tony,., :D we ran 8.28's in June Bob and high teens in Nov and theres alot more in the boat nowadays. but that sounds good. i could agree with .2 to .3 tenths. Thanks for the info, its gonna be interesting to say the least... Got some texans all ready call me out. lol

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
I bed "bad" air affects the boat areo, not only the HP the motor makes. Just like a baseball goes farther in some air conditions. The way the air packs under the hill and goes around the boat.

·
Registered
138 Posts
good idea Tony,., :D we ran 8.28's in June Bob and high teens in Nov and theres alot more in the boat nowadays. but that sounds good. i could agree with .2 to .3 tenths. Thanks for the info, its gonna be interesting to say the least... Got some texans all ready call me out. lol
As long as we can spray and Red lights don't matter im in lol :stir::)hand

·
Pro Gas Jet
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thin air

I never gave thought to the air being thinner, thats a pretty good observation... were gonna try and do the smokin in the cove this year too. So im gonna get some experience dealing with the humidity and heat.. gonna be a great year.. cant wait to take on the Seein Red and the ol' Steven Smith sled !! :|err

·
"Need For Speed"
1,210 Posts
I never gave thought to the air being thinner, thats a pretty good observation... were gonna try and do the smokin in the cove this year too. So im gonna get some experience dealing with the humidity and heat.. gonna be a great year.. cant wait to take on the Seein Red and the ol' Steven Smith sled !! :|err
We are going to have fun! Glad to hear you are going to try to run over this way some. Let me know what races and I'll try to make them. I'm looking at 2 to 4 SDBA races between the car races. And since you are trying to be respectful referring to me as "Mr. Smith", by the way... he was my father, and the reference to my "ol sled", don't forget that I am closer to twice your age than your age... so give me proper respect on the tree. A bulb or two at the start won't hurt you:)

Gear

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
rob, don't confuse texas tracks and sitc. two entirely different places...

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
No Bako for you ? :)Unsure

·
Pro Gas Jet
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bako

yes Ron,, Bako is the priority, just was thinking ahead. How about you, Bako?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts