Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Been here a while
610 Posts
thats why i drive a big truck and hate when people text and drive.

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
thats why i drive a big truck and hate when people text and drive.
There's a video on Youtube a big truck goes into a tunnel at high speed and rearends a small car that was stopped behind a big rig which was in a line of other vehicles also stopped. Two women and two children were in the car. No doubt he was texting.

That's all I want to say about it and I'm not putting up the link.

·
Slum Lord
2,854 Posts
My daughter just started driving so she just got this emailed to her, simply as a reminder. We can never remind them often enough, despite annoying them.;)

·
custom boat lover
498 Posts
After Seeing that video and thinking about it makes me curious if anyone happens to know for sure that while doing all those car crash test at the lab that we see on tv, Do they have the engine running to help their testing on vehicle fires also???

Because it seems like to me their is less vehicle fires after a crash like that, Then in the past.:)Unsure

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
:mad::mad: you gotta love the rude ass ****s that are texting, or attempting to text while driving, especially when on a major freeway, their usually the ass wipes that are driving slower than the flow of traffic because there so intent on getting their text message done, and it usually women !!!!!!!!!:mad::mad: thier so oblivious to what going on around them, like thier so god damn important !!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

Just remember if your involved in an accident, and you retain a lawyer, make sure he/she obtains the persons phone records, chances are they were yaking or texting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT PAYING ATTENTION, THIER FAULT !!!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Our son just got done burying one of his high school friends from the football team who was not only texting while driving but did not have a seat belt on. He drifted into the emergency lane where a parked big rig was and found the back end of it. He was dead on impact. I understand why parents want the kids to have a cell phone, but there's got to be one out there without the ability to text and only place calls to mom & dad + emergency 911 calls. That's all they need, period.

·
Break Out Another Thousnd
2,040 Posts
Thank you for sharing this - I will most definately pass it on. I had heard a statistic years ago (90's ?) from the California Highway Patrol that "In the short period of time that cellular phones have become popular they have surpassed the number of accidents and fatalities caused by drunk driving since the introduction of the automaoblie." This is simply due to the number of offenses. I think the penalties should be the same. The outcome of the accidents are.

G

·
Our son just got done burying one of his high school friends from the football team who was not only texting while driving but did not have a seat belt on. He drifted into the emergency lane where a parked big rig was and found the back end of it. He was dead on impact. I understand why parents want the kids to have a cell phone, but there's got to be one out there without the ability to text and only place calls to mom & dad + emergency 911 calls. That's all they need, period.
Terrible news. I agree on the non-text phone deal.

·
Been here a while
610 Posts
There's a video on Youtube a big truck goes into a tunnel at high speed and rearends a small car that was stopped behind a big rig which was in a line of other vehicles also stopped. Two women and two children were in the car. No doubt he was texting.

That's all I want to say about it and I'm not putting up the link.
So your insisting that I text while driving? Sorry, buddy, not me. I dont even like to talk to the person next to me while driving.

Im 25 and have not been in an accident. Bunch of fix it tickets and only 2 speeding tickes when I was 17 for going 79 on the freeway.

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts
this one is also one that needs to be passed around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkv1hv-HeQI
I find that video even more compelling to pass around than the first one posted.

It still amazes me when I see people with cell phones up to their heads while driving! I have had a hands free kit installed in every one of my trucks as I get calls steady , even with those I found myself somewhat distracted.

About a year ago I found myself drifting into the other lane ..using the hands free deal. I stopped taking calls when I was driving and just let all calls go to voicemail.

Vids like this need to be watched by everyone ..not just kids.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Both VERY powerful videos! I really wish more people would pay more attention when driving especially here in California! The driving here does seem to be more "selfish" than anywhere else that I've driven!

The majority of drivers never use their turn signals, they sit in the passing lane on the freeways, speed up so that they don't have to let you in and NEVER thank you when you do let them out of a junction. On the rare occasion that they do use their turn signal, it means "get out of the way or slow down because I'm cutting in-front of you".

The driving test and drivers education needs to be WAY stricter in my opinion as many of the drivers here in LA should never be allowed to have a drivers license.

Just my $0.02! :|err

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
I have trouble texting while at my desk, but I passed this on to the younglings in my life who don't have those issues....

·
Registered
108 Posts
After seeing these videos I'm feeling rather compelled to give a comment, and not because I have kids or because I've known someone who has suffered because of an infortunate chain of events. For the most part I try to stay "Low-key" and stay under the radar here on the boards, so many of you may not know who I am.

To start I'll give you a quick summary of who I am, and where I come from. I'm 24 and I live in southern California, and I have been involved in Emergency Response from the time I was in high school. To date, I have logged over 3400 hours in responding to 911 calls. I had spent 5 years working as a paramedic in Riverside County and 2 years working as a deputy Sheriff for San Diego County. I responded to just about every type of call you can think of, everything from two family members fighting to the type of things you have seen in those videos.

While some people may view that video as nothing more than a fictional video used to gain a "knee-jerk" reaction, others may take what they have just seen to heart. I must admit that there are some portions of those videos that clearly fictional and something that would very very rarely be encountered in one's life time; but for the most part those videos do raise awareness to the type situatuions that happen every hour of every day in every community.

So if I could just end on this note, those of you here on the boards that have children, are planning on having children, or even have children in your family, please don't view these videos as just a short clip created for a "knee-jerk" reaction. Talk to your children and take the time to address this topic, this stuff happens alot more than any of "us" want to admit.

-Chet

·
Registered
455 Posts
After seeing these videos I'm feeling rather compelled to give a comment, and not because I have kids or because I've known someone who has suffered because of an infortunate chain of events. For the most part I try to stay "Low-key" and stay under the radar here on the boards, so many of you may not know who I am.

To start I'll give you a quick summary of who I am, and where I come from. I'm 24 and I live in southern California, and I have been involved in Emergency Response from the time I was in high school. To date, I have logged over 3400 hours in responding to 911 calls. I had spent 5 years working as a paramedic in Riverside County and 2 years working as a deputy Sheriff for San Diego County. I responded to just about every type of call you can think of, everything from two family members fighting to the type of things you have seen in those videos.

While some people may view that video as nothing more than a fictional video used to gain a "knee-jerk" reaction, others may take what they have just seen to heart. I must admit that there are some portions of those videos that clearly fictional and something that would very very rarely be encountered in one's life time; but for the most part those videos do raise awareness to the type situatuions that happen every hour of every day in every community.

So if I could just end on this note, those of you here on the boards that have children, are planning on having children, or even have children in your family, please don't view these videos as just a short clip created for a "knee-jerk" reaction. Talk to your children and take the time to address this topic, this stuff happens alot more than any of "us" want to admit.

-Chet
Amen brother

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I agree on the non-text phone deal.
You can add me to that list as well. I don't want my son texting and if I ever catch him tweeting I'll send him to rehab....:|err:|err

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
So your insisting that I text while driving...
Sure buddy, I WANT you to text while you're driving. Maybe you can kill women and children like that truck driver did. I hate women and children.

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts