Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Antique Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many, many thanks to Andy, Smash, Paul, Scott and the rest of the Regulators who took the time and $$ to see that Heidi and I made it to CFW for FD. Other than Frank's crash, we had a wonderful time. We ran 80+ gallons of fuel through the Hondo, and won our fair share of pair ups. I took a chunk out of the Cole's prop early Friday morning, which trailered it for the weekend, as I could not find another 1 1/8" unit. I was given an opportunity to drive Ricky's BGF after I reset his plates, and did not give it back until it was about out of gas. One bad ass boat-really hated to give it up, as it was running an easy buck 20. Safety was the issue after Saturday night, especially on gear. Shame on me too, as I had a choice of jackets while driving the Hondo and was complacent about it. We can all do better, myself included.
Denis

· Registered
372 Posts
Dennis, Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to drive the hondo, What a thrill. Still smiling. Most important thank you for the time that you spent with me. That in it's self is priceless. Your hydraulic down peddle is so nice and smooth, It's as easy as pressing your brake peddle on your car, Awesome job.

steve (katchenup)

· Registered
1,800 Posts
Dennis,

I also greatly appreciate you letting me take the Hondo out for some play time.

· Break Out Another Thousnd
2,003 Posts
Thanks back at ya for all you did to keep all the rest of us up & running! It was neat to see that most of us didn't have enough parts/tools to keep our own junk going, but as a group we were able to keep us all up & running (for the most part). And thanks for all the rides - that Hondo is one well set up boat. Hauls ass & then turns! All of those who claim runner bottoms don't turn need to ride in this boat. (and bring some brass balls & strong arms 'cause you'll need both)!

· Antique Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn!!!!!!!!

Wish somebody had said something about the 1&1/8 prop! Had one 25 mins. away!!:)bulb
That breaks my heart!!!!! I really wanted to get the new motor dialed in and the plates reset for the power increase. I talked to everybody I could think of, and pulled up just short of stealing Marshalls prop. The prop let loose a piece the size of a quarter, made the rear end hop hard at speed and I think the chunk lodged between the rudder and the hull. My steering locked up tight. When I stopped, I worked the wheel back and forth, and it came loose. Inspection on the trailer showed several marks on the plate. Inspection of the prop showed no cracks, but if you held the prop just right in the sun light, you could see a slight tweek in the same place in the opposite blade. Regardless of a crack check, which was just done, I will do a better visual on the blade edges. This could have been nasty. Another paper weight to put on the desk with $$$$$ down the drain written on it.
Denis

· Premium Member
3,380 Posts
You are more than welcome. Sorry I had to leave early but something came up. Glad I got to drive the Hondo, the plate system is awesome and boy does she turn.

· Antique Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plate system

It was a real pleasure seeing the lights turned on for all of you that drove the Hondo!! There is always a better mouse trap to be had. I have not driven a stock plate system in over 4 years, and when I drove Ricky's BGF, it really reminded me of how much safer a doable push pedal is. I gave his boat all of the power these titanium parts had to drive it, and although it was a blast to drive, I limped when I got out of it. I would have loved to put that boat though the clocks!!
Denis

· Premium Member
1,418 Posts
Many, many thanks to Andy, Smash, Paul, Scott and the rest of the Regulators who took the time and $$ to see that Heidi and I made it to CFW for FD. Other than Frank's crash, we had a wonderful time. We ran 80+ gallons of fuel through the Hondo, and won our fair share of pair ups. I took a chunk out of the Cole's prop early Friday morning, which trailered it for the weekend, as I could not find another 1 1/8" unit. I was given an opportunity to drive Ricky's BGF after I reset his plates, and did not give it back until it was about out of gas. One bad ass boat-really hated to give it up, as it was running an easy buck 20. Safety was the issue after Saturday night, especially on gear. Shame on me too, as I had a choice of jackets while driving the Hondo and was complacent about it. We can all do better, myself included.
Denis
Denis,

Thank you so much for the opportunity to drive your boat.

I also want to thank you for doing one of the most noble gestures I have ever seen in all my years. I asked you to ask the sheriff boat circling the area if you could retreive my anchor and floatie at the crash sight, and you agreed, but instead of asking the sheriff, you went straight out there in the Hondo and pulled my gear, put it in your boat, and walked to the tip of your bow, took your hat off and stood there at attention for several minutes with your hat over your heart and your head down, praying. This I will never, ever forget. You are truly a good man and it is an honor to have gotten to know you.

I sincerely hope we can all make our peace with this tragedy, stop all the speculating and brainstorming to try and make it right and move on. It happened, and like Denis, we all need to tip our hat and move forward in a posetive direction.

I have said my peace.

Scott

· Antique Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great shot

DANA HAD A GREAT TIME...SHE IS A DEFINITELY A FAST BOAT FANATIC...

Pretty awesome gesture on your part...Thanks...
Funniest post that I have ever seen. I may be old, but I ain't dead!! Thanks for the humor in all of this turmoil!!
Denis

· Registered
1,721 Posts
It was a real pleasure seeing the lights turned on for all of you that drove the Hondo!! There is always a better mouse trap to be had. I have not driven a stock plate system in over 4 years, and when I drove Ricky's BGF, it really reminded me of how much safer a doable push pedal is. I gave his boat all of the power these titanium parts had to drive it, and although it was a blast to drive, I limped when I got out of it. I would have loved to put that boat though the clocks!!
Denis
Hey Dennis
sorry i didnt get around to say hey,but that sure was a blast chasing you around the Cove on Friday morning around 9:30AM:)devil
Hope to see you soon
sorry for the thread jack

· Antique Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wackers

Hey Dennis
sorry i didnt get around to say hey,but that sure was a blast chasing you around the Cove on Friday morning around 9:30AM:)devil
Hope to see you soon
sorry for the thread jack
All I can say about you Wackers is that you have bigger nuts than I do!! Always a pleasure to watch you guys run-they are beautiful.
Denis

· Antique Member
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Photos

Thank you MacDaddy for posting the great photos!! The Hondo definitely did some running!
HaulinAss-been glad to put you behind the wheel. The jet boat guys that drove this really enjoyed it.
I put the Hondo to bed early Saturday, as I pounded my back into mush, and I was getting too tired to keep a good sharp driving edge. I have one rule about driving-I never take the last run-I quit before then. :D
Denis

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.