Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my second pass saturday, i broke a rocker. of course, it had to be a rocker since i don't have a spare. asking around, i couldn't find anyone with the "old skool" crane golds - everybody seems to run t&d or jessel anymore.
then john d says - go ask tony. so, finally locate tony - he says there's one guy that might have one - ray dane. i find ray, ask if he might have a spare, and he just digs it out and hands it too me, no questions asked.

ray, i can't thank you enough - saved my weekend. i owe you!

and just for the record, i bought these golds used, 11 years ago. ran them for 5 years in a lake engine, then in this engine since '02 - over 700 laps. they'll be coming out before the wf's...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hey bp....

I run the same ones so leave them in there and when you come run with us next year I'll loan you some.....

...:)devil

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fiat, haven't quite finished unloading yet, but i'll take a pic of it - it split in half, right across the axle.

gary, i'm pretty sure i'll still be running the same things - but they'll probably be a bit newer and i'll have spares :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had some do that, but they were not Crane's. I decided to pull all of them and check. Found that there were more cracked ones then not.

fiat, haven't quite finished unloading yet, but i'll take a pic of it - it split in half, right across the axle.

gary, i'm pretty sure i'll still be running the same things - but they'll probably be a bit newer and i'll have spares :D

·
Gone
1,833 Posts
There was a small trunion deal (old ones) and then they made a larger trunion one as are the late style. I have seen lots of the small trunion ones break. The large trunion ones....the only thing I have seen is one of the clips come off....the bearing walks out. I attribute that to the bearing housing fit is not tight enough....so the bearing actually moves some in the housing bore and knocks the little retainer clip off.

·
The member
3,244 Posts
on my second pass saturday, i broke a rocker. of course, it had to be a rocker since i don't have a spare. asking around, i couldn't find anyone with the "old skool" crane golds - everybody seems to run t&d or jessel anymore.
then john d says - go ask tony. so, finally locate tony - he says there's one guy that might have one - ray dane. i find ray, ask if he might have a spare, and he just digs it out and hands it too me, no questions asked.

ray, i can't thank you enough - saved my weekend. i owe you!

and just for the record, i bought these golds used, 11 years ago. ran them for 5 years in a lake engine, then in this engine since '02 - over 700 laps. they'll be coming out before the wf's...
No problem at all, that is what boat racing is all about !!!

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
What do you guys think of Isky's? I always had good luck with them.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mike, these crane's lasted a long long time, and i don't know how old they were when i got 'em. i don't think i'm gonna change to anything different, maybe newer.

ray, thanks again. you are right, that is what it's all about.. hope i can return the favor sometime.

i've removed all the rockers for close inspection - i've got one other exhaust rocker that is awfully tight and was probably ready to go next. the old one split right across the trunion, but one bearing on the trunion was cracked all the way around, the needles were falling off, which probably preciptated the failure. gotta look a little closer at them all, but didn't visually see any cracks. but the one ray gave me is obviously newer and looks like an improved design. will probably just say the hell with it and replace 'em all...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
There was a small trunion deal (old ones) and then they made a larger trunion one as are the late style. I have seen lots of the small trunion ones break. The large trunion ones....the only thing I have seen is one of the clips come off....the bearing walks out. I attribute that to the bearing housing fit is not right enough....so the bearing actually moves some in the housing bore and knocks the little retainer clip off.
My brand new red Comp Cams alum rockers had some snapring failures and i attributed it to my geometry being off a little bit??
My witness marks or sweep on valve tips came in a little wide at .140 so i thought it might be binding things up a tad??
Wimpy juice roller at .600 lift
and a wimpy SBF:)grn

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
I have always liked the Crowers because they have a larger diameter trunion and bearing. I have a couple of boxes of the Cranes (they are the older smaller trunion variety) that are worn out. They usually start spitting out pieces of the bearing at that point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts