Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, I want to thank all you guys for answering the questions Ive posted on here, and answering the billion other questions that people have posted. Ive learned alot from just lurking here, not including actually posting. My father and I started a redo of a 76 rogers in march, and today it got wet. Once again, big ups to you fellas. Without your help, we would still be scratching our heads.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/bigfish77/DSC01889.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/bigfish77/go.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/bigfish77/DSC01935.jpg

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
That's what it's all about. Nice looking ride, now go tear it up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
it was interesting

It started out as a warehouse find, sat since 1991. Paid $1k for hull and trailer, it had a 7 cylinder 454 that came in it free lol. Pulled the junk motor out, cleaned everything up, buffed and waxed the hull, repaired the wiring, ran all new fuel and water lines, and stuck another big block in it. Havent touched the pump yet, kind of hesitant about that. Only problem with having a jetboat in BFE PA, its hard to find people who know about these things. Does anyone know where I can find info on these rogers hulls? I guess their decent from what I understand.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
if you can do the motor, you can do the pump;) its gravy man.nice ride:)devil

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe this winter

Ill have to look into doing the pump. This lil project cleaned us out cashwise. The only complaint I have about the boat is the cleanout hole buried in the back of the transom. Gumby couldnt reach that bad boy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey squirtcha, can I ask why that is? I know the full stringers are a plus, but other than that, Im just happy it wasnt rotten and it still floats

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Ill have to look into doing the pump. This lil project cleaned us out cashwise. The only complaint I have about the boat is the cleanout hole buried in the back of the transom. Gumby couldnt reach that bad boy.
DON'T EVER TAKE IT OFF WHILE IN THE WATER:D you may already know that, but i've seen a newbie jetter sink 1 like that before:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol

haha, that would suck. worse thing Ive ever done was let the plug out of my old celebrity bowrider

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
I've never owned one, but put some time in behind the wheel of buddy's boat. They ride nice, handle chop well, run well with average power, run really really well with lots of power. Just a well constucted boat.

I'll put up a couple quotes from one of our residents here. His board name should be self explanatory. He worked for Roger Weiman back in the day. I'll call him a guru because in my mind he is. He might protest that if he sees it though. He's unduly modest.

Old Rigger

It was a lot of fun. It was also a big shock, after the crash of the late 70's and a lot of the shops one by one folded up including Hawaiian, to go to work for Roger Weiman and build boats one at a time, where the part sat in the mold for at least a week. I was one of the lucky guys to land a job in the boat biz, lots of the ones I knew got out altogether including my dad. Tahiti/Hawaiian was fun, Rogers was my learning time. I got real lucky there.
I will say this, jet boats in the 70's were being cranked out at warp speed by all the big shops, pick a big shop name (any name) and they were building boats in a way that they wouldn't have 8 years before. This includes all the 'name' shops too, not just the entry level boats like Tahiti and Hawaiian.. Smaller shops like Rogers didn't budge on quality. Bigger shops could barely keep up with demand. We were building at the peak 9 boats a day six days a week at Hawaiian, the other big shops were just about the same. We had a very large dealer program and one of the dealers advertised heavily on TV here in so cal. I remember his ads were 'low payments for 15 years'! Who the hell wants to be paying off a Hawaiian 15 years down the road?! We couldn't ship him enough boats. Shit happens at an alarming rate when you try to build that many boats but it was the most fun I ever had in a shop, plus I was working with my dad, so that was cool.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
haha, that would suck. worse thing Ive ever done was let the plug out of my old celebrity bowrider
lol, done that myself before:p it takes awhile to sink that way, if you pull the clean out cover off in a jet, it goes down in seconds:)st

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ill keep that in mind

Impatient, Ill remember that for when I get tired of workin on it. Send it all 5ft to the bottom.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Impatient, Ill remember that for when I get tired of workin on it. Send it all 5ft to the bottom.
your lake is only 5ft deep? damnnn. my local lake is 113ft deep , and the other hangout lake is 133ft deep.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wish I had a lake

Only lake around here is electric only.:mad: I gotta run on the susquehanna. Good news is I can run from williamsport ( home of LL baseball) to sunbury:D

·
Registered
325 Posts
So how did it run? Any problems that you have to deal with?
Was it what you expected?

Give us some details on how it went.

This is a great place for info and meeting good people.

Congrats

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well

Well it ran pretty good I think. I could only spin it to about 4200, Im not sure wether its a timing issue or an impeller problem. It gets out of the hole great, and cruises pretty comfortably at 2700-3k. Didnt really go to far from the launch, I hate paddling haha. Im not real sure what else to look for to make this thing work the best It can for what it is.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Perfect description....

Well it ran pretty good I think. I could only spin it to about 4200, Im not sure wether its a timing issue or an impeller problem. It gets out of the hole great, and cruises pretty comfortably at 2700-3k. Didnt really go to far from the launch, I hate paddling haha. Im not real sure what else to look for to make this thing work the best It can for what it is.
That is a perfect description of a pleasure boat. Remember a pleasure boat is suppose to be, above all else, FUN.....There are jets that set the world on fire, but they have thousands and thousands of dollars in their engines and PUMPS. Enjoy what you have created and don't get all carried away with the idea of speed. Be safe first, have fun second, and 3rd, don't bother looking for a cure for your addiction, there isn't one..............Ray

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Moneypit, I think you hit the nail on the head. We only have about $6k into this thing, including buying the boat. And I gotta say, its the funnest boat Ive been in. Hoping to keep it around awhile.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts