Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was brought to my attention on Socal boards , I'll post the link here cause I suspect there may be other Folks like me here on Jets that don't "stray" to far from this "category", Appologize in advance Admin for this is "duplication" Tom
http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=45305&highlight=marine+stadium

heres just a smidge of "history" for anyone who just woke up and realized what they live next door to....

1933 Jul 5, 1933 - The holding of the Tenth Olympiad in Los Angeles last year brought many permanent benefits to Southern California, not the least of which was the construction of the Long Beach Marine Stadium to provide a suitable course for the rowing races. With the establishment of this fine ...
From THE INTERCOLLEGIATE REGATTA - Related web pages
pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/access/389073471 ...

1956 Sep 22, 1956 - The outboard speed kings today begin writing another chapter of boat race history--their second in 25 years on a California course--as the 1956 National Championship Regatta gets under way at Long Beach Marine Stadium. Four National. Outboard Finals Slated Today ...
From Four National Outboard Finals Slated Today - Related web pages
pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/access/436537612 ...

1963 Jul 4, 1963 - To say that a firecracker cast of SK boat drivers will cavort today at Long Beach Marine Stadium might be appropriate, but hardly descriptive. BY JEFF PRUGH ... probably packs the most explosive competition in the 15-year history of the WVest Long Beach Lions Club charity show. ...
From Regatta Lures Hotshot Boats to Long Beach - Related web pages
pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/access/470186542 ...

1968 May 30, 1968 - Six classes of hydroplanes and runabouts will compete today in the 20th annual Memorial Day Inboard Regatta at Long Beach Marine Stadium. THERE THEY GO. -More than 100 drivers will be. in the fields today in Memorial Day Inboard Regatta at Lona Beach Marine Stadium. Shown in action ...
From Hydroplanes Compete Today in Long Beach - Related web pages
pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/access/586500862 ...

1969 Feb 21, 1969 - A field of nearly 200 boats, including the current world record holder, is slated to compete in the world championship drag races Saturday and Sunday at Long Beach Marine Stadium. A field of nearly 200 boats, including the cur- rent world record holder, is slated to compete in the ...

reprinted from : http://www.google.com/search?q=long...Bw&sa=X&oi=timeline_result&ct=title&resnum=11

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Funny you mention this, our local airports have the premere realestate surounding them. Do you think they would build industrail parks there?? NOOO.... They build 500,000 to 1,000,000 dollar homes on the fringe of the airport. So guess who calls about the noise from the airport???? stupid peoles who build next to the airport:)sphss

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
People here buy 3 to 5 acre lots next to the Gun range (thats been there for 40 years) and then bitch about the noise Tom

btw the PD, CHP and Sherriffs all use this range

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
Same here, Our Airport (Burbank) just sumbitted a application to close down the airport at night to all Aircraft (except military, police, and mercy flights)

This will effect UPS, FEDEX, Southwest, Jet Blue and multi airlines plus my company. Some say they will pull out of BUR enterily. Thousands of jobs wold be lost. All because of the people who bought a house next to the airport and complained about it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Airport noise then the B1 Bomber noise.Love it!

You know I live by Bixby Knolls and the Long Beach Airport. I don't really care about the airport noise since it is kept to x amount of flights plus you learn to ignore it. In essence The Boat races are really kept to a minimum so anyone tripping can shut it. BUT when the noise of a B1 Bomber going off is in my ears, I DO CARE. I CARE SO MUCH.............I haul ass outside and wonder if I will be lucky and he banks in front of my house. Usually I would be at the end of the Runway watching it or any fighter jet taking off:)devil Hell I love the C17 as well. After all they are the ones who protect our country and defend the world . The kickass USA. And people complain about the B1 Bomber and the noise it made and their car alarm going off.. Grumpy people suck ! It is amazing what people will complain about here in Long Beach or anywhere for that matter. I was the guy across from the race course at the Nationals at Marine Stadium in the third turn in line with the bouy's with the American Flag . I love America,baseball ,apple pie and a 427 chevrolet. IF you are that lame to complain about these great american memory building ,friendship building city revenues stimulating sports that have made this one hell of a great country then you can say adios and head south or say ay and head north or go find a a deserted island where I am sure it would be so quiet you would vote the crabs off of the island for disturbing the peace.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
They complin about the San Diego Bayfair races too. They called the cops on me when I was filling the water truck off the hydrant by their homes (With a meter) They left a note on the meter saying that they were watching and would call the cops and they did when I was filling. I told them all to "Eat $hit," just as I would if it was a hydrant near my job. "I was not stealing water and they should be thankful that I was flushing out their lines and helping to maintian and verify operation of their fire safety hydrant."

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know I live by Bixby Knolls and the Long Beach Airport. I don't really care about the airport noise since it is kept to x amount of flights plus you learn to ignore it. In essence The Boat races are really kept to a minimum so anyone tripping can shut it. BUT when the noise of a B1 Bomber going off is in my ears, I DO CARE. I CARE SO MUCH.............I haul ass outside and wonder if I will be lucky and he banks in front of my house. Usually I would be at the end of the Runway watching it or any fighter jet taking off:)devil Hell I love the C17 as well. After all they are the ones who protect our country and defend the world . The kickass USA. And people complain about the B1 Bomber and the noise it made and their car alarm going off.. Grumpy people suck ! It is amazing what people will complain about here in Long Beach or anywhere for that matter. I was the guy across from the race course at the Nationals at Marine Stadium in the third turn in line with the bouy's with the American Flag . I love America,baseball ,apple pie and a 427 chevrolet. IF you are that lame to complain about these great american memory building ,friendship building city revenues stimulating sports that have made this one hell of a great country then you can say adios and head south or say ay and head north or go find a a deserted island where I am sure it would be so quiet you would vote the crabs off of the island for disturbing the peace.

Yeah Baby Whenever the Attack planes (A7's I think) do the Big left turn over Atascadero from Lemoore NAS I scramble outside just to hear them , Very cool to have the Blue angles Buzz Qualcom last year !! loud boats ,loud planes , .44 Mag rounds, Led Zep, ACDC you name it !:D Hey no wonder the wife has to iterpret the TV for me ?? ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well said. Airplanes , 3 ac/dc concerts,fast cars,fast boats(louder the better)22 to 30-06,trap /skeet/duck hunting,metallica on the loudest alpine system in 1988 in a 69? Charger 440 with 6 pack. I am 38 and am tired of saying huh and what did you say speak up. Sound like my grandpa. But.........loved it all and there is plent more where that came from .

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah Baby Whenever the Attack planes (A7's I think) do the Big left turn over Atascadero from Lemoore NAS I scramble outside just to hear them , Very cool to have the Blue angles Buzz Qualcom last year !! loud boats ,loud planes , .44 Mag rounds, Led Zep, ACDC you name it !:D Hey no wonder the wife has to iterpret the TV for me ?? ;)
A lot going on in that paragraph sounds like fun!

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts

I call BS Tom, You don't have time for TV!!:)hand:)hand

Side note: While coming across hwy. 50 last week in the Nevada desert, 2 Navy fighters came right over me lining up on the practice range out there by Austin. What a rush!!
They couldn't have been a couple hundred feet up, and God knows how fast they were traveling.:)devil
I looked in the mirror to see if they fired on the range, but never saw any impact.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
A funny local story for those of you who dont live in Carolina..

Lowes motor speedway is owned by one dude, Ollen Bruton Smith . So old Ollen one day decides he wants to put up a drag race track next to his track.. The people who build their houses around the race track pitched a holy fit and the city had threatened not to let him build...

So what does Ollen do? Threatens to tear down the track and move to SC and take all his revenue with him... COncord is a small town and with out Nascar would wither up and die...

So what do you know? We now have the zMAX drag strip and Ollen has a street named after him.. It was a billion dollar game of "OK then ill take my ball and go home"

Lesson? DONT BUILD YOUR HOUSE NEXT TO A RACE TRACK!!:|err

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Two years ago in Michigan, it was HOT BOAT WEEKEND it's the last hurrah for the season..... Just walking back from the shower house at the camp ground, this screaming jet was coming, and coming, he popps out of the trees and is thirty foot off the water, it was an A-10 Warthog knife edged cutting the river bend. He was 30 foot off the water, I was still looking down as he passed the camp ground. A few seconds later, here comes a second A-10 doing the...same manuver.... If I just has video... it was one of those priceless moments in life.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
A funny local story for those of you who dont live in Carolina..

Lowes motor speedway is owned by one dude, Ollen Bruton Smith . So old Ollen one day decides he wants to put up a drag race track next to his track.. The people who build their houses around the race track pitched a holy fit and the city had threatened not to let him build...

So what does Ollen do? Threatens to tear down the track and move to SC and take all his revenue with him... COncord is a small town and with out Nascar would wither up and die...

So what do you know? We now have the zMAX drag strip and Ollen has a street named after him.. It was a billion dollar game of "OK then ill take my ball and go home"

Lesson? DONT BUILD YOUR HOUSE NEXT TO A RACE TRACK!!:|err
Is that the new track that had an inaugural
NHRA event last year? If so, that track and facility looked just AWESOME on TV!
I will definitely make a point of attending there in the future.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Is that the new track that had an inaugural
NHRA event last year? If so, that track and facility looked just AWESOME on TV!
I will definitely make a point of attending there in the future.

Yes i beleive it is.. That pic is from the show Pinks all out that was on tv not to long ago..

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Piling on here... Dateline Naciemento lake ... at one time this was a "near wilderness area with a smattering or cabins dozens of private launch ramps AND lots of Hot boat it Now it has been "developed" with million dollar homes and "weekend bungalos"... rumor has it when a loud boat make an early morning hard pass a certain Celebrity who weekend there calls a certain ranger who then drops everthing to seek out the offender conversly it takes them all day to move the 5 zone bouys and they dont have time and personell to keep the shallow areas marked :)coffee

and Tommy bs huh! :) I watch a whole hour of Oreilly every day !

·
Cajun Member
1,436 Posts
AMEN:)devil :D
Had a few of these bad boys (leaving the airport right behind us)flyin low over our home last hurricane.The rotor wash had me thinking we were having an eartquake in the swamp;)..................V-22 Osprey

·
Registered
419 Posts
well said. Airplanes , 3 ac/dc concerts,fast cars,fast boats(louder the better)22 to 30-06,trap /skeet/duck hunting,metallica on the loudest alpine system in 1988 in a 69? Charger 440 with 6 pack. I am 38 and am tired of saying huh and what did you say speak up. Sound like my grandpa. But.........loved it all and there is plent more where that came from .
no abba.... But I will tell you Drag Racing is done.... When the Hydro did a lite off which was very mild and a Alkie Motor not Top Fuel and it was only for a short 1/2 second burst... You could hear it rattle the windows all the way across to the Homes on the other side & back.... Top Fuel would Blow out the Window Big Time (Its a Tunnel Now) Sorry to say Its done... Only Memories Now Like The Clock in North Town, Pike, Rainbow Pier, Rainbow Lagoon, Great Surf. The Board Walk from Linden to the Pike with all its food & Shops, One of the worlds greatest Roller Coasters out over the water. Drunken Swabs all over Ocean Blvd. Belmont Shores has not changed much, its still A little Gay!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts