Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 367 Posts

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Anatomy of an oil filter: Not sure what I'll learn from this but maybe something worth while.

This was going to be a Winter project , but as I was cleaning the garage today these damn filters just kept looking at me................
so the garage got cleaned and a few oil filters were sacrificed for the better good:

Far left Fram PH8A....far right System One racing filter with a 30 micron screen

End caps:
Jomar 1/4" x 8, K&N 1/4" x 8 ( actually one whole is 5/16th) , Napa Gold 5/16 x 6, Fram PH8 7/32 x 8, Fram HP-1 5/16 x 8, Wix 5/16 x 6.
I'll do the math on the flow area later.

I still need to find a Baldwin BT251 that Mike Finn (Cyclone) told me about to complete the comparisons I'm thinking about.

edit:

System 1, Napa, Jomar, Baldwin. Napa and Baldwin are both tall filters, Napa is 30 micron and the Baldwin is 12 Micron, both are rated at 7-9 gpm flow rate.

S CP :)

Jon

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Saving space for a later post:

I guess this should have been in the first post: What the hell do I hope to find out?

A couple of years ago I found this article after several discussion on this board about oil filters:

How high efficiency oil filtration can reduce engine wear

HOW IMPORTANT IS BETTER EFFICIENCY?

The fact is, you would probably be amazed at how much engine wear could be eliminated simply by using more advanced oil filtration. In paper 881825 the Society of Automotive Engineers indicates that a joint study was performed between AC Spark Plug and Detroit Diesel Corp. The study found that finer oil filtration significantly reduced the rate of engine wear.

According to the paper, the tests regarding engine wear within a diesel engine were performed using four levels of oil filtration. They chose filters whose efficiency rating was very high for particles of 40 micron, 15 micron, 8.5 micron and 7 micron sizes.

The same was done for gasoline engines, except that the relative sizes were 40 microns, 30 microns, 25 microns and 15 microns.

To make a long story short, the researchers had this to say:

"Abrasive engine wear can be substantially reduced with an increase in filter single pass efficiency. Compared to a 40 micron filter, engine wear was reduced by 50 percent with 30 micron filtration. Likewise, wear was reduced by 70 percent with 15 micron filtration."

By combining this type of oil filtration with the superior protection and cleanliness of a premium synthetic oil, you will virtually eliminate engine wear.

I've never had to worry about wearing out an engine..... they seem to die a more dramatic death before they wear out. ;) Go figure

We've had dual System 1 oil filters on the boat for 18 yrs, they have 30 micron screens and can single pass cold 50 wt at 100psi and not go in by-pass mode. And they are really really easy to check after a weekend on the water. ....just scew then apart, pour the oil out and check the filter/screen. But something Cyclone ( Mike Finn) told me made me start looking at options.

When you start researching oil filters it's interesting what you find about Micron rating, flow rate, by-pass valves. I want a filter that can filter smaller than the 30 micron rating of the System 1 yet still live in a harsh marine enviroment. Every now and then the oil get condisation in it that screws with the oil:

The screen filter of the System 1 doesn't clog when that happens. That happens when we spend a few hrs towing the kids on the tube and lots of idle time. I need to remember to run the boat hard after their playing to generate some heat ( oil at 210-220*) to burn off the water. At idle there is water that gets sucked into the engine during reversion. Power tour weekend of running the boat hard.... zero water. The following weekend took the kids down and the oil got pretty bad before I boiled it out.

So I think I'm going to keep the System 1 filter and run the duals with another filter hooked-up to get the the finer crap out:

This is the Napa Gold # 1773 but it has a 30 micron rating same as the System 1. It would be the perfect filter at a 20 micron rating or less. I think the Baldwin BT251 Cyclone told me about just might be the ticket, 12 micron rating 7-9 gpm per minute flow rate. I haven't got my hands on one yet but will before the week is over.

On the gpm flow numbers and by-pass.... when running a HV oil pump it would be my guess that single oil filter systems in a boat at 3,500 rpms are by-passing a high percentage of the oil running thru the system with a typical oil filter. Wix makes a racing filter # 51515R that has a flow rate of 28 gpm but the micron rating is 65. I'd think most would take the protection of a lessor flowing filter with a lower micron rating.

S CP

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Savings space for another post:

S CP

Jon

·
Red Blooded American
15,854 Posts
I saw one of these side-by-side comparisons where the Wal-Mart "Super Tech" filter met the same high standards the K&N & NAPA Gold. That test went into filtration microns, storage capacity, durability, flow and a dozen other tests.

Oh, and the Fram was the very worst, hands down in nearly every test!

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I see something that already distrubs me about the Jomar, and the K&N(my personal choice). More so with the Jomar! and I had very high hopes for that filter! I'll keep my mouth shut till you finish.
You'll notice that the Napa and Wix are virtually identical except the length. We knew that, but there is something else there that may make me go back to them. I like the pleat count in the Jomar and K&N. Again, even more so with the Jomar. guarnatee thart hing has the highest sq inches of the standard length filters.
This could be interesting. Measuring the media Sq inches is very very important Sleeper. As is construction.
I am going to go buy a filter tomorrow. Something about that Jomar looks very familiar.

There use to be a very comparison in the Sticky Thread at the top of the Dyno Forum page but it doesn't work any more. It even told which filters were identical and manufactured by who.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see something that already distrubs me about the Jomar, and the K&N(my personal choice). More so with the Jomar! and I had very high hopes for that filter! I'll keep my mouth shut till you finish.
You'll notice that the Napa and Wix are virtually identicle except the length. We knew that, but there is something else there that may make me go back to them. I like the pleat count in the Jomar and K&N.
This could be interesting. Measuring the media Sq inches is very very important Sleeper. As is construction.

There use to be a very comparison in the Sticky Thread at the top of the Dyno Forum page but it doesn't work any more. It even told which filters were identicle and manufactured by who.

I'll have to look for it.

What's interesting to me is that other than the Fram PH8 all the filters have positives..... I'd like to take a few of the features from what I've seen just this afternoon and put them in one filter. The holes in the inside return tube are interesting from one to the next as are the "feed" holes.

This thread might take a while for me to get everything posted .........

S CP

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I'll have to look for it.

What's interesting to me is that other than the Fram PH8 all the filters have positives..... I'd like to take a few of the features from what I've seen just this afternoon and put them in one filter. The holes in the inside return tube are interesting from one to the next as are the "feed" holes.

This thread might take a while for me to get everything posted .........

S CP
The link doesn't work anymore Jon. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw one of these side-by-side comparisons where the Wal-Mart "Super Tech" filter met the same high standards the K&N & NAPA Gold. That test went into filtration microns, storage capacity, durability, flow and a dozen other tests.

I started the day giving the Fram the benefit of the doubt...but that lasted all of 10 minutes....after I cut the Wix 51515 after cutting open the Frams first. The Frams are the only ones with paper end caps and only use epoxy to hold them together at the ends vs the medal end caps of the others.

S CP

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I started the day giving the Fram the benefit of the doubt...but that lasted all of 10 minutes....after I cut the Wix 51515 after cutting open the Frams first. The Frams are the only ones with paper end caps and only use epoxy to hold them together at the ends vs the medal end caps of the others.

S CP
Only magneto lovers use Frams. Old habits die hard in boating. Just too many old dinosaurs.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

Anyfilterbuttfram.....:(
Auto part Rotor Wheel
Personal protective equipment

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
The thing I like about those pics the best SHBH, is what it did to the center tube. Nah, there's nothing to that. All filters are built pretty much the same.:)sphss You fold over the pleats, and but 100PSI on the outside of the tube and you'd be amazed how fast it will fold up. I have zero simpathy for ANYBODY that uses a Fram and loses an engine. They all have been warned too many times.

Are you reading this moneypit?

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Only magneto lovers use Frams. Old habits die hard in boating. Just too many old dinosaurs.

I'll tell you I kind of felt bad cutting up so many new filters. Even the Frams.

The Fram HP Filters aren't the same as the standard filters..... even though they still only have paper ends:

Fram vs the Jomar and K&N....keep in mind the Jomar is a zero bypass filter with a 20 Micron element.

Fram PH8 on the left and HP1 on the right. I like the screen on the HP by-pass

More to come later.

S CP

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
. I like the pleat count in the Jomar and K&N. Again, even more so with the Jomar. guarnatee thart hing has the highest sq inches of the standard length filters.
The pleat count is important as is the uniform placement of the pleats. All the filters with the medal end caps have a very uniform placement of the pleats,just like the System One screen filter. The Frams have a nice seperation of pleats at the joining seam then the pleats are all bunched-up on the other side of the filter. I don't see them going a great job filtering oil if the pleats are all sqweezed together.

I'll post some more pics of construction later.

S CP

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any opinions on the mobile one filters? I got two free with my last oil purchase. Sleeper i could send one your way.

I run Baldwin (B279) filters right now (I bought a case of them), and Wix before that.

I'm trying to remember if I looked at the Mobil One on the self...I know I looked at the Bosh...( built by Wix) looks just the same. I think the Mobil One may have been too.

I need to get a couple of the Baldwin's that Cyclone told me about and I'll be complete.

S CP

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I'm trying to remember if I looked at the Mobil One on the self...I know I looked at the Bosh...( built by Wix) looks just the same. I think the Mobil One may have been too.

I need to get a couple of the Baldwin's that Cyclone told me about and I'll be complete.

S CP
The Mobil 1 is an excellant filter and my favorite off the shelf Pep Boys/Trak Auto etc filter. I THOUGHT it was built by Champion Filter but could be wrong. The Mobil 1 uses a synthetic filter media like the old AC Delco "L" series filters, and I believe the K&N and possibly others.
I seriously doubt it is built by Wix and will post why when I find it. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jomar is built by the same company as the Bosch. Its the one thing that bothers me when I look at the Jomar, and why I don't use a Bosch. I will dig it up as soon as I can. The one filter you do not have there that is a little unique is the Amsoil. When I find the pics of the Bosch, you'll see the insides of the Amsoil filter as well. They are different and may be built by the company that makes the Mobil 1.

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts

S CP
I think the latest Frams have plastic springs on the ends as well, not metal. Fram went to $hit when Allied picked them up and started sending their business to China...so I was told.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
OK, I found MOST of what I was looking for. First thing you need to notice is the fact that there are OLD and NEW style Champion manufactured filters. The "new" ECORE Champion filters SUCK Old Bosch filters were old style Champion filters, now they appear to be Purolator filters.

The only "old" style Champion filters are the K&N and the Mobil 1.

Jon, heres an interesting little tid bit. Go down to where you see the Mobil 1 apart, and read the paragraph ABOVE it. The one larger hole inlet hole is a tell tale indicator thats its and old style Performance Champion filter. Same as the K&N. I knew there was a reason I liked the Mobil 1 Filter:wink2:

LINK: Oil Filters revealed

Keep in mind this was done around 2009 or so, much of what you see on the Fram and the AC Delco have changed FOR THE WORSE! To my knowledge the "L" series Delco, an excellant filter are no longer available.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
OK Jon, heres one of the things that makes me a little nervous about the Bosch, and the Jomar "appears" to be the same way. The size of the OD of the element VS the ID of the can is tight. Real tight. Not much room to get oil down past the element and into the filter. The K&N looks tighter than the Wix in your photos. And of course the Fram is even worse because the oil can only enter the filter by passing thru little gaps in the end seal.

And Wix is who makes the Amsoil filters. The NEW Amsoil filter use a proprietory media that is "fuzzy", but believe the filter is still manufactured by Wix.

1 - 20 of 367 Posts