Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two drive lines and would like to know which is the better of the two,if any? One is slightly longer than the other.
Also is a PTO required with both or either of the two? What exactly does a PTO do?
Lastly, how far onto the pump shaft should the drive line be engaged? Should it be bottomed out, or pulled out slightly? thank's .....Hal

Attachments

· Registered
1,869 Posts
Replace the u-joints and either will be fine. I heard someone say the rockwell(if it is indeed a rockwell) on the left handles 1000 hp no problem.(I think it was Duane HTP)

The one on the right is going to need a PTO. It will also handle good power. You will need to take some measurements to determine 1310 or 1350 series. Both are strong, 1350 is stronger.

I would leave about 1/4 inch of play before it bottoms out.

· mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
the driveline on my lh looks awful weak. that 1350 with fresh joints would be the way to go. pto's aren't expensive.

· Registered
329 Posts
Pto

PTO bolts to the crankshaft after flexplate/flywheel via 6 bolts (BBC) then the drive line bolts to the PTO (4) bolts.There are 4 types of PTOs 2 for the 1310 2 for the 1350 flexplate or flywheel for each. Hope this helps:)hand

· Registered
146 Posts
the one on the left has much bigger u-joints. thats the one id recommend to use. on a side note: the reason one is shorter is because you had the wrong setting on the dryer. next time use the permanant press setting.

· Registered
972 Posts
driveline

Hal, I prefer the one on the right with a pto. I like the idea that you can remove the ubolts and take that section forward out. Holds up to my blown BBC just fine. Plus if you decide to move your motor forward, it's easy to have a driveline made. Just remove the ujoints, install the front flange and the yolk and measure center to center. 1/4 in end play is fine. Pat

· I'm No Expert
3,051 Posts
You dont want the drive shaft to bottom out on the pump shaft. If it does, it will kill your engine. I was told you want at least a 1" of the pump shaft into the drive shaft or it's going to be noisy.

The one on the left looks like my drive line. It will bolt right up with no PTO alight i converted mine to use a PTO when i did my setback so that i could get the length right. I was told it will handle 1000 HP in a jet application.

· Registered
1,349 Posts
Go with the one on the right. They haven't made the Rockwell in 20 years and it would be hard to find a yoke if you ever needed one. They are strong but no longer available. The Spicer drive line on the right is still in production and easy to find parts for. They are strong also.

· Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1310 vs 1350

What is the differance between a 1310 and 1350 and how do You tell which is which?
Does 1310 and 1350 aply to all drivelines no matter the manufactuer?....Hal

· Premium Member
7,314 Posts
X's many !! the one on the Right , The "rocky" is short and may put your install back too far , its used primarily with older 3 pt mount set ups The moder 1310 with seperate PTO is the way to go Plent strong and easy to work with , the spline seal areas on both you DLs are way to deteriorated to seal properly New 1310 drive lines are cheap! Tom

· Premium Member
7,314 Posts
X's many !! the one on the Right , The "rocky" is short and may put your install back too far , its used primarily with older 3 pt mount set ups The moder 1310 with seperate PTO is the way to go plenty strong and easy to work with , the spline seal areas on both you DLs are way to deteriorated to seal properly New 1310 drive lines are very affordable ! Tom

· Administrator
11,501 Posts

· B1 Racing
6,261 Posts
Im not going to say X amount of HP or TQ is ok for the 1310 because I dont know where the limit is for a boat. I know of alot of racers running 800-900 HP on 1310s with no problems.

1350s are a helluva lot heavier than a 1310 when you run a long driveline.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.