Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A little something I hope to play with on the dyno before the year is over.

It's good to know really smart and talented people. I fed one of them my ideas on a tunnel ram manifold design that I think is better for my application than the TFS I'm working with. He has designed a few manifolds. We kicked around a few drafts for a couple of weeks and he produced the final CAD drawings for it.

The concept:

I then gave the CAD files to a friend of mine who has a little 3D printer and we printed the prototype at 3/8th scale:

Then we played with an alternate lid design "The twisted sister":

Then the CAD guy ran some CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) sims on the runners and plenum for me:
These are cyls 1 & 5. The BBF firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

#1 is in upper left. follow the firing order: 1-5-4-2-3-6-7-8

( these are two of the 6 sims he sent me. The others show more detail than these and I'm learning from them. They'll get posted at a later date)

From the pictures of the intake you'd never know how small it actually is, but the detail in the print is just awesome:

Here's the little printer, All $225.00 of it:

Ultimately, I'll either have a full scale prototype "printed" in an industrial quality filament that can be used for testing, or have have it 3D printed in a sand product that comes out like a cast aluminum intake that can be run on an engine in real life applications.

Video of it printing: (the lid takes 6.5 hrs and the base took 37 hrs to print at the current setting. We can cut the print time in 1/2 if we decide to do so.)

Triceratops Performance Group

·
Registered
172 Posts
What material are you printing with?

I used to run an early Dimension machine that printed with some kind of PVC product. It made nice looking parts, but the parts had minimal strength. Just curious since you say you may make a full scale deal for testing.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't print the full size, but I know a guy who can. He's built the prototype for his FE Fords. His machine took better than 10 days to print what you see. You can run them long enough for testing on a dyno. I don't know what the material is:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts