Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sending my Holley 600 spreadbore carb out to them for a complete overhaul. Anyone ever used them before? Hopefully no bad experiences and only good! This will go on my 21 ft. daycruiser 455 olds jetboat motor,, Performer intake, stock except for 10 qt oil pan and a couple oil mods inside a decent marine cam w/ Stock KA heads with bigger springs to match the cam. Just want to make sure they are top notch..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i just boxed it up and shipped it out. Hopefully they do a good job. I google searched their company and they had a few good write ups in different magazines. :)grn

·
Registered
282 Posts
I had a q jet go to them,first time it came back it was full of sand and the throttle shafts which were to be bushed were not.It went back again this time he bushed it and was supposed to put a new bowl on it,I get it back used bowl,put it on the car runs but floods over after the engine is shut off and the float was set right i changed the needle and seat had it apart ten times no good.I cancelled my card and he never sent back a dispute.This is the carb shop thats in santa anna.

·
steelcomp was here
26,526 Posts
If you end up not being satisfied, I'll give a shamless plug to the guys at AED. :)devil

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"the" Carb Shop is in Ontario, CA http://www.customcarbs.com/
yes this is the place i sent it to. I hope it turns out good and will definetly be reporting good or bad. Owe i just found out it's a 650 CFM Spreadbore holley.
Looks like it's $250 for a full rebuild/ blueprint.. Then it's $75 extra for the re-plating of the carb to look new again.. 2 week turn around time. :)grn:)grn

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I am sending my Holley 600 spreadbore carb out to them for a complete overhaul. Anyone ever used them before? Hopefully no bad experiences and only good! This will go on my 21 ft. daycruiser 455 olds jetboat motor,, Performer intake, stock except for 10 qt oil pan and a couple oil mods inside a decent marine cam w/ Stock KA heads with bigger springs to match the cam. Just want to make sure they are top notch..
If you are interested I have a holley 650 spread bore 650 marine vac sec compatible I will sell for 150.00 that ran perfect on removal. I have a good idea what these guys charge and might be able to save you a dime or two. M

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on the carb rebuild. I just got it back for the second time, first time i got it back i was really impressed it looked awesome. That was until i bolted it up to the motor and it leaked fuel out of the acc. pump on for the secondaries.:)sphss It took another 1.5 weeks for them to repair, dino and ship back to me.. The carb really looks nice i got to give it to them. I just bolted it up on the motor last night and will fire it up tonight. Hopefully it's good to go. i will post pics and a report once it's on the boat and tested in the water.:)grn

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the motor running and everything looks good. Carb didn't leak and the boat fired right up.. I will use them again and give the whole deal an 7 out of 10...:)hand

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Need Help Again!

Ok not so happy again, Now it leaks out of both acc. pumps. I went out to the boat to wash it and noticed fuel sitting on the intake manifold:mad: if i hit the throttle and reach under to the arm that pushes the acc pump i get fuel on my finger tips. man this is getting to be a nightmare... I have a new holley rebuild kit but am afraid to touch this carb for fear they won't work on it if i mess with it.. Any ideas as to why the diaphrams keep leaking? Any ideas would be nice. Who else is a reputable carb rebuild shop.. Who is AED and how do i get ahold of them?:)grn:)grn

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Ok not so happy again, Now it leaks out of both acc. pumps. I went out to the boat to wash it and noticed fuel sitting on the intake manifold:mad: if i hit the throttle and reach under to the arm that pushes the acc pump i get fuel on my finger tips. man this is getting to be a nightmare... I have a new holley rebuild kit but am afraid to touch this carb for fear they won't work on it if i mess with it.. Any ideas as to why the diaphrams keep leaking? Any ideas would be nice. Who else is a reputable carb rebuild shop.. Who is AED and how do i get ahold of them?:)grn:)grn
Sounds to me like possibly a torn pump diaphragm. Was the linkage properly adjusted?

Also...highly unlikely but something I just thought of...

Do one of the pumps on this thing have a 50cc housing? If it does, it's possible that they may have been dumb enough to install a 30cc diaphragm in a 50cc housing.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Tons of guys swear by AED- half my friends use them, and the other half use c&j

I've had great luck with c&j engineering John is incredibly knowledgeable, and when you get your carb back you put it on and go boating.

http://www.candjengineering.com/

Give john a ring - 562.946.1388

UD

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds to me like possibly a torn pump diaphragm. Was the linkage properly adjusted?

Also...highly unlikely but something I just thought of...

Do one of the pumps on this thing have a 50cc housing? If it does, it's possible that they may have been dumb enough to install a 30cc diaphragm in a 50cc housing.
The linkage is the same as the last 30 yrs with this exact carb. They supposedly fixed the problem and put the carb on a dino and ran it on a motor to make sure everything is good to go before they shipped it to me. I was told this the last 2 times it's been there. Now it's going back for a 3rd time. What sucks is i'm leaving for a 4 day trip in 3 weeks and this boat has got be done.... I don't know why this is so difficult?? What else would cause the acc. pumps to continually leak like this? Man i've got $380.00 into this carb with the rebuild & all the shipping back and forth...:)sphss

·
Registered
433 Posts
The linkage is the same as the last 30 yrs with this exact carb. They supposedly fixed the problem and put the carb on a dino and ran it on a motor to make sure everything is good to go before they shipped it to me. I was told this the last 2 times it's been there. Now it's going back for a 3rd time. What sucks is i'm leaving for a 4 day trip in 3 weeks and this boat has got be done.... I don't know why this is so difficult?? What else would cause the acc. pumps to continually leak like this? Man i've got $380.00 into this carb with the rebuild & all the shipping back and forth...:)sphss
My only experience with the Carb Shop Santa Ana sounds just like yours. Stop payment - by now you could have bought one off the shelf!

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
? Man i've got $380.00 into this carb with the rebuild & all the shipping back and forth...:)sphss
At the least they should eat everybit of shipping after the 1st return. That just sucks. I dealt with them many yrs ago with the original owner perfect out of the box stuff.

Every carb company has many good stories and a few bad ones. Hell, I had John at C&J screw up one of my dominators so bad it would hardly run on the dyno. He did something to the boosters and it would only make good pulls if we disconnected the secondary squirter. I shipped it back to him he changed it and shipped it back and charged my CC with it. I don't plan on sending anything back to him, but many here have had excellent results with him and I had to before that deal in '07. It just pisses me off that he charged me to fix something that they messed up to begin with. Not the way to do business if you ask me.

S CP :D

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
is this the outfit in Ontario?

Sorry to hear about this. I've had good luck with them, but they have also made minor mistakes that they made good on. I agree, they should pay for any subsequent shipping. I figure everyone makes mistakes (Denny Hamlin's shifter fell off in his hands today!), but it's how they respond to it that determines if I come back again. I hope things turn out OK for you...

283 Posts
At the least they should eat everybit of shipping after the 1st return. That just sucks. I dealt with them many yrs ago with the original owner perfect out of the box stuff.

Every carb company has many good stories and a few bad ones. Hell, I had John at C&J screw up one of my dominators so bad it would hardly run on the dyno. He did something to the boosters and it would only make good pulls if we disconnected the secondary squirter. I shipped it back to him he changed it and shipped it back and charged my CC with it. I don't plan on sending anything back to him, but many here have had excellent results with him and I had to before that deal in '07. It just pisses me off that he charged me to fix something that they messed up to begin with. Not the way to do business if you ask me.

S CP :D
X2 C&J jacked me 13 years ago!

·
steelcomp was here
26,526 Posts
Third time around I'd tell them where they could stick that carb.
Holleys aren't rocket science. They have 5 major gaskets, a few other small ones and either one or two acc. pump diaphragms ...not much to leak or go wrong. Nothing in the carb works under pressure, so you should be able to pour a little fuel into the bowl and check the acc. pump on the bench.
Either it'll squirt or it won't, and it'll leak, or it won't. If it leaks, take the four screws out, remove the cover, replace the diaphragm, reinstall the cover, and don't over tighten the screws. They're very easy to strip. (you might check those screws right off the bat...if they're stripped, it's going to leak)

Quick question...does the acc. pump leak when it pumps, or does it just leak when it's sitting?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts