Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
professional slacker
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On June 11,1979 at 5:23 p.m., John Wayne died from complications due to stomach cancer.

Man, I wished he was around.. I bet he was something else. I was 3 when he died. I've been building a little movie collection of his. 60+

Damn country would be a differant place if he ran it.. :)hand

To keep it boating related, he owned a 136 ex Mine Sweeper.. Wild Goose.

·
professional slacker
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh.. To make this a bit cooler.. If it wasn't for body surfing accident at the Wedge, Duke would of never hurt his shoulder and gone to Hollywood and became John Wayne.

Duke was a surfer. :D

·
Nuclear Powered
1,281 Posts
He also own a ranch south of maricopa in Arizona.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Its in newport harbor as a party yacht now.. , the re-did it by adding a second level to it. When i was young i used to watch it leave the harbor w/ him driving. that was cool ! he would always honk horn and wave to the kids.

·
professional slacker
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rick, that is so damn cool.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Oh.. To make this a bit cooler.. If it wasn't for body surfing accident at the Wedge, Duke would of never hurt his shoulder and gone to Hollywood and became John Wayne.

Duke was a surfer. :D
Isnt that the same injury that ended his football career at USC also? Duke was the man:)devil

·
professional slacker
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Isnt that the same injury that ended his football career at USC also? Duke was the man:)devil
That is correct. Ended his football career and got a job at the studio.

"He was a star football player at Glendale High School and went to USC on a scholarship. He quit school after two years and in 1928 signed on with Fox after working there doing manual labor. I guess the honchos at Fox didn’t see much in his small roles, so they canned him. He had been using the name Duke Morrison. His real name was Marion Morrison and he took the name of his family dog as a first name. A director at Fox, Raoul Walsh claims he “discovered” Wayne and suggested he use Anthony Wayne, after a Revolutionary War Hero. Fox studios thought it sounded “too italian” so Walsh suggested John Wayne. He had befriended John Ford early in his career and after making several lousy movies for several years for Lonestar/Monogram pictures, including parts as a singing cowboy, Ford cast him in Stagecoach in 1939. The legend of John Wayne was born."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts