Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuesday I took my son to the beach to play with some friends. South Mission Beach at sunset the second Green Flash I've ever seen at sunset. The first one three years ago was a very brilliant flash, this one was just the top on the setting sun.

Tuesday beach weather in San Diego was perfect. The only problem is that living in the Peoples Republic of San Diego, no alcoholic beverages or Cigar smoking on the beach :|err It is just stupid that an adult can't enjoy a beer while hanging out at the beach with friends. :)st

While body surfing, I was swimming back out to the "break" and a big dorsal fin popped up out of the water about 30' in front of me. Scared the crap out of me (Shark week on Discovery Channel this week) it took a second before someone yelled "Dolphin". I was told by one of my friends who is staying at the beach house this week, that on Sunday morning there were 3 dolphins up at PB (Pacific Beach) that were riding the waves with the surfers. She said the dolphins would ride them in then go out a catch another wave right next to the surfers. She said they did it for quite awhile. Coooooooool :)

Sleeper CP :D

·
Twin squirt guns.
1,778 Posts
Was riding 550 jet skis in the ocean once and one started pacing me underwater. It was about 14 feet long (a 550 is 7' long). Scared me too till I saw the other four and realized they were dolphins. They are fast! One popped out of the water Sea World style and my startled buddy almost crashed into me. Beautiful animals.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
there were a few times while surfing, that i have seen dolphins in the waves ... coming right at me.

still one of the coolest things i have seen:)devil

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was riding 550 jet skis in the ocean once and one started pacing me underwater. It was about 14 feet long (a 550 is 7' long). Scared me too till I saw the other four and realized they were dolphins. They are fast! One popped out of the water Sea World style and my startled buddy almost crashed into me. Beautiful animals.
I only saw the mid section of this one he was flipp'in big. His mid section must of been 7-8 ft.

On the Green flash, the first one I saw two years ago there was a friend who had lived up by New Port Beach. He was in the restaurant business and worked at two ocean front restaurant for 14 years. He figured he had seen over 2,000 sunsets over that 14 years and only saw 2 green flashes and they were 12 years apart.

·
Been here a while
610 Posts
I thought the green flash thing was a myth, like in Pirates of the Carribean. Turns out it is true, and caused by light waves from the sun bending.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've seen them a lot, mostly in the tropics, but three times now over land. I've seen them as the sun sets over a ridge, where the ridge is more-or-less the same altitude as where I am. For example, two over Chatsworth, seen from Sunland.

The green is because green curves more than other light. You only see it at the end because red (the opposite end of the spectrum) penetrates the atmosphere better.

So as the sun sets, you see it get more and more red (first yellow, then more red) as the other colors of light get more and more absorbed by the atmosphere, so more and more of the light that gets through to your eye is red.

Now, while this is happening, the sun is actually below the horizon, but the light is being bent through the atmosphere. If there was no atmosphere, the sun would no longer be visible probably 5 minutes earlier.

Eventually, the sun is so far below the horizon, and the light is being bent so much, that none of the red light gets to your eye, but the green (the little amount that is not absorbed) still gets to you because it bends so much.

You'll notice that the color of green comes on in a second or so: a little tiny bit of the top of the sun is still visible, still red, then the color shifts towards green usually getting sorta lime green, then its gone.

I have been able to climb a mast fast enough hand-over-hand to stay up with the green for 20 or 30 feet, perhaps 10 seconds. When I was younger, of course!

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've seen them a lot, mostly in the tropics, but three times now over land. I've seen them as the sun sets over a ridge, where the ridge is more-or-less the same altitude as where I am. For example, two over Chatsworth, seen from Sunland.

The green is because green curves more than other light. You only see it at the end because red (the opposite end of the spectrum) penetrates the atmosphere better.

So as the sun sets, you see it get more and more red (first yellow, then more red) as the other colors of light get more and more absorbed by the atmosphere, so more and more of the light that gets through to your eye is red.

Now, while this is happening, the sun is actually below the horizon, but the light is being bent through the atmosphere. If there was no atmosphere, the sun would no longer be visible probably 5 minutes earlier.

Eventually, the sun is so far below the horizon, and the light is being bent so much, that none of the red light gets to your eye, but the green (the little amount that is not absorbed) still gets to you because it bends so much.

You'll notice that the color of green comes on in a second or so: a little tiny bit of the top of the sun is still visible, still red, then the color shifts towards green usually getting sorta lime green, then its gone.

I have been able to climb a mast fast enough hand-over-hand to stay up with the green for 20 or 30 feet, perhaps 10 seconds. When I was younger, of course!
Great second post.... thanks for sharing. Nothing else here gets your attention? :)bulb

Jon

·
Registered
78 Posts
isn't the green flash when a person from the dead comes back to the living? At Least thats what I heard from a pirate arrrrrrr haha

·
Ex-Californian
437 Posts

Cool Post..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts