Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had dinner with a good friend who works for the Metro Water Dist. as a marine biologist and has been chasing the muscle for a few years now. He dives Lake Mead, Lake Mohave and Lake havasu every month and says its not looking good for many lakes. In his own words he feels that it could be as few as 4 years befor the coves at these lakes become completly over taken and rendered useless! They are only treating the water as it is being piped thrue the system and nothing is being done to the water as it sits in the lakes waiting to be pumped. Only a hand full of lakes in Calif. do not have the muscle as of yet but ony in time befor they do. They have run test at Lake Mathews in Riverside Co. to see what will slow it down or stop it and so far nothing seems to even slow it down! Some thing to think about if you keep your boat in a slip for long periods of time.

·
Nuclear Powered
1,281 Posts
:D

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Darn it! I was hoping I was going to read that the scientists finally found a way to safely isolate and eradicate these pests once and for all.

:(

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
A friend from Canada was telling me they have been around for awhile up there. One benefit is that they eat/filter algae and the water in their lakes became incrediblely clear over time. I have to say this spring the water was the clearest I've seen. Sun light penetrates deeper which in turn allows grasses to grow deeper and fish thrive.

Eventfully their initial bumper food source starts to dwindle and so do they. Never going away but leveling off.

Just what I heard. :)bulb

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
They have run test at Lake Mathews in Riverside Co. to see what will slow it down or stop it and so far nothing seems to even slow it down! Some thing to think about if you keep your boat in a slip for long periods of time.
This is just not that true. They actually have a bacteria that is toxic to the Mussels and they are attracted to it. Once they eat it they die. If I remember right they are testing at Davis dam. They are looking for EPA approval this fall. They also have a certain type of fish that eats them. Right npw all they use is chlorine, but obviously you can't use that in a lake, only our drinking water.:)sphss

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
A friend from Canada was telling me they have been around for awhile up there. One benefit is that they eat/filter algae and the water in their lakes became incrediblely clear over time. I have to say this spring the water was the clearest I've seen. Sun light penetrates deeper which in turn allows grasses to grow deeper and fish thrive.

Eventfully their initial bumper food source starts to dwindle and so do they. Never going away but leveling off.

Just what I heard. :)bulb
By "cleaning" the algae they eliminate an important link in the food chain. That "bottom" of the chain affects every other link above it, eventually killing off native and sport fish species.

Also by depleting the good "green" algae, noxious blue-green algae will proliferate which will reduce oxygen levels in lakes, thereby doing even more damage to the ecosystem.

These are just the "nature" impact that Quagga's and Zebra mussels inflict. The human impact is even greater. Notwithstanding the effect of mussels on feet in the coves, they clog water system intakes, canals, pipes, pumps and valves.

That effect will mean millions, maybe billions, of dollars to keep the water flowing, which will mean increased water delivery costs which will be passed on to US!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
By "cleaning" the algae they eliminate an important link in the food chain. That "bottom" of the chain affects every other link above it, eventually killing off native and sport fish species.

Also by depleting the good "green" algae, noxious blue-green algae will proliferate which will reduce oxygen levels in lakes, thereby doing even more damage to the ecosystem.

These are just the "nature" impact that Quagga's and Zebra mussels inflict. The human impact is even greater. Notwithstanding the effect of mussels on feet in the coves, they clog water system intakes, canals, pipes, pumps and valves.

That effect will mean millions, maybe billions, of dollars to keep the water flowing, which will mean increased water delivery costs which will be passed on to US!
Yeah, but the water will be clear. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is just not that true. They actually have a bacteria that is toxic to the Mussels and they are attracted to it. Once they eat it they die. If I remember right they are testing at Davis dam. They are looking for EPA approval this fall. They also have a certain type of fish that eats them. Right npw all they use is chlorine, but obviously you can't use that in a lake, only our drinking water.:)sphss
He did talk of a few bacterias that can kill the muscle. He stated that the amount of any thing needed to be added to the water would be astronomical, his example was this, just after 9-11 they looked at ways to keep the lake waters at Powell and Mead safe from being poisoned. They soon found out just how much it would take to poison this amount of water and soon droped the study.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts