Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting together a Dart 540 shortblock with internally balanced Eagle rotating Assy.

What damper and flexplate would you guys run?

For those of you who don't know me, the motor is going in a 18.5 Southwind Jet. Shooting for 800hp and around 6500 rpm.

·
Registered
473 Posts
BHJ or ATI and Professional products SFI for the budget minded. Great piece for $185. Has anyone tried one of thos heavy flexplates from CSI and the like? I think they call it "the wheel" or something.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
How do I know what diameter is best?
Starter and flexplate diameter must match, when using a stock style starter. Most BBC use the large diameter wheel, and the offset bolt pattern starter.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
That's what she said...LOL.

I'll disagree about the Professional Products damper. I've seen a few pics of them exploding - okay coming apart and flinging parts. One was in a dyno room. Thank god no one got hurt.

·
Gone
1,824 Posts
That's what she said...LOL.

I'll disagree about the Professional Products damper. I've seen a few pics of them exploding - okay coming apart and flinging parts. One was in a dyno room. Thank god no one got hurt.
Yes...I agree. I caught one coming apart also. On motors that require a balancer...have always just used a Summit SFI one. Never a problem with those.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I would go with an aluminum FLYWHEEL or if your gonna go cheap use a certified flexplate and remember a flexplate was designed to be rigid with the use of a converter, and a ROMAC or ATI balancer.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Putting together a Dart 540 shortblock with internally balanced Eagle rotating Assy.

What damper and flexplate would you guys run?

For those of you who don't know me, the motor is going in a 18.5 Southwind Jet. Shooting for 800hp and around 6500 rpm.
You building it or having it done?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ive sploded 2 of the regular pro products balancers but not a SFI one. Were these SFI that sploded. If so, I will stop use at once. I should not have mentioned a budget balancer, he just went out and bought a 540 short block! $$$

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Machinehead, don't worry. I appreciate all the feedback and ideas here.

Don't get me wrong though.... You're right, I spend some bucks on this motor and I'm not about to skimp on the balancer.

I'm going with ATI.

I still don't understand why someone would want a 6" vs a 7" though. I just wish I knew the difference (other than the obvious - size).

·
Registered
282 Posts
ATI also has a aluminum one prostock guys use them.I run a fluiddamper never had a problem.Pro products sfi ones are junk,the little red ring is revited into rubber and it doesnt hold the hub and outer ring together.I guess the different diameters may absorb harmonics better.Like smacking the ass on 105lb girl will feel it more than a 300 lb ass.Which I have not tested that theory on a big one.:|err

·
TEN THIRTY ONE
1,293 Posts
Fuelinmyveins and HBjet here on the boards are casualties of the Pro Products damper. Fortunately both of them were caught before they came apart. Fuels had dyno time and a shakedown run on it and we noticed the outer ring had slipped from its original location. Replaced with ATI.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts