Performance Boats Forum banner

7161 - 7180 of 11735 Posts

·
OBC Gestapo
1,221 Posts
So Cal Church

Brian we welcome you to the church you won't regret the move. I am out on the river from Bullhead to Parker dam or at lake Powell all the time. I live quite close to Lake Silverwood. PM Me and let's talk a bit about your conversion to the church. :)devil

·
Wild Bill
247 Posts
The Allison's ride very high and dry up on the pad plus most of them are setup with 14" of setback. When you chop the throttle the balance point moves forward and the lip on the end of the pad will lift the back of the boat almost out of the water. If you dump the throttle all that setback works like a cheater bar on a wrench and can turn the boat around. So you want to ease out of the throttle. In my opinion if your going to run that much hp you need to take the lip down from 90 thousands (which was standard on boats after 1995) to around 50 thousands and this will allow you to bring the motor closer to the transom. The last two I setup I ran the motor at 5" off the transom. I would never just dump the throttle at over 100 but I can get out of it quite fast with my boat without any ill effects. The sticker on the drivers side reads maximum hp is 150. The lip works great unless you really overpower them and if you do I think that the standard lip can be evil. Again just my opinion and most allison guy's run with a lot of setback and the standard lip. You just can't dump the throttle at speed.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Any of you guys coming out this weekend for Desert Storm? If so, look up the Tuna Hunter. :) Follow the smoke trail to the noisy 2-stroke V8's screamin' away on the transom of my Scarab. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Blab with the jets who can afford to go no farther?

You have tried "the other way" and figured if you want to rip for more than a quarter mile, an outboard is really the way to go...

The Church loves to boat...We do not attend Park ' n' Blab's" ...... (Large group of individuals that enjoy beer breath to boating. ) DLB is exempt...they have a good blab, but they are out boating rather than sitting on a sandbar...:D

Actually, I like the blabs...I know where they are, and they're not the water.

We take our boating seriously....is there ANY other way??!

Welcome to the Church, Brian. Post up where you are boating.

Below find co-founder of the Outboard Church...Bully, he is obviously thinking of the 280 high revving 2.5 motor vs the big torque of the 300xs to the left and right of him. :hmmm:

The only blab's I will even be a part of is just when it is me they are talking about. Aaaah yes I can see a few good looking shiny tall deck motors on the beach, with barely enough fuel to get back to the launch saying, "Holy crap how fast you think that Daytona was going man? That's like the 20th time he's gone by today?":thumb:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Powell?

Brian we welcome you to the church you won't regret the move. I am out on the river from Bullhead to Parker dam or at lake Powell all the time. I live quite close to Lake Silverwood. PM Me and let's talk a bit about your conversion to the church. :)devil

Does Powell or Mead allow 2 strokes? I heard they didn't? Thanks for the info!

·
OBC Gestapo
1,221 Posts
DS weekend

Any of you guys coming out this weekend for Desert Storm? If so, look up the Tuna Hunter. :) Follow the smoke trail to the noisy 2-stroke V8's screamin' away on the transom of my Scarab. :)
We will be there this weekend.... Big Steve and wild Bill are coming down from Northern California for Wednesday Thursday and Friday and then on Saturday and Sunday we will be boating at Lake Powell. Where the real boating is.....and NO crowds :))THumbsUp

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mead and Powell

We will be there this weekend.... Big Steve and wild Bill are coming down from Northern California for Wednesday Thursday and Friday and then on Saturday and Sunday we will be boating at Lake Powell. Where the real boating is.....and NO crowds :))THumbsUp
I have been on Mead one time and it was in a 28' Donzi with twin screws on it (hardly felt a bump in the ocean cruiser). This had to be about 8 years ago. I remember big rollers and enough chop to sink a 21 foot boat or at least really beat your kidneys into the stringers.
What's your experience in Mead, and especially Powell where I would really like to go this year, in a 21 foot tunnel?
I am just thinking back to the days of the jet (and here again another reason for the conversion to the church) when you could end up in some rough seas and wonder if your bilge was gonna keep up or if the boat was gonna snap in half trying to stay on top of it! Any first hand advice/experience from either of the two great lakes down here would help! Thanks!

·
OBC Gestapo
1,221 Posts
Running the big lakes

I have been on Mead one time and it was in a 28' Donzi with twin screws on it (hardly felt a bump in the ocean cruiser). This had to be about 8 years ago. I remember big rollers and enough chop to sink a 21 foot boat or at least really beat your kidneys into the stringers.
What's your experience in Mead, and especially Powell where I would really like to go this year, in a 21 foot tunnel?
I am just thinking back to the days of the jet (and here again another reason for the conversion to the church) when you could end up in some rough seas and wonder if your bilge was gonna keep up or if the boat was gonna snap in half trying to stay on top of it! Any first hand advice/experience from either of the two great lakes down here would help! Thanks!
Like anything with boating it's all about judgment and weather. The 21 foot boat on Lake Mead or Lake Powell is fine especially at Lake Powell where you have so many canyons you can hide in. The basins of those lakes can always become very rough so that's where the judgment comes in do I go or do I stay on the trailer, I've been out on both of the Lakes in a 21 foot boat and there was times you had a hard time staying on plane through certain sections but for the most part I've always had a great time.

Also the weekends can become very rough with Boat wakes and wind waves so if you can avoid those times it is always better during the week. Sure I prefer my 28 foot boats on the bigger lakes there's no doubt you have more options. But I love running my 22 as well so it's all about considering the conditions when you go.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
As it turns out the dying problem was actually a bad ECU. It was the first version of the digital ECU's and they had a problem in the heat. Outside temperature 95 to 100 degrees said:
Rich,was that ECU a #849849A1?
I just picked up one that will get a custom fuel map drag reprogram that will support 250 PSI comp with SVS intake and rev over 10K
It will be a spare unit,hope it won't have probs like you described?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ecu

Kevin,
I don't really remember the part number as that was about 15 years ago. It was the Digital ECU's with the removable e-prom chip.
I think most of them were taken care of back then. At least the ones in the hotter climates. As long as you didn't buy it from the Northeast your probably OK!
They didn't lean out the engine and keep running. It was more like pulling the lanyard and just shutting down.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I agree completely that you made the right decision Paul! :thumb: Man, you live the good life! I worked 10 hours today and you boated 10 hours today........doesn't seem fair! :)eh:) Hope you guys are all having a great time away from all the drama of DS........:rolleyes:

·
OBC Gestapo
1,221 Posts
Powell at its best

Snow in the background on top of Navajo mountain and 85° weather and the lake was glass. Incredible days ran 230 miles today along with the 400 in the last couple days we are at 630 miles and counting. WC where are you? You need to be here !!!!

I know family first I just need to give you shit. :cool:
Big Steve's fat finger had to get in the way of the camera....:mad:

Cathedral Canyon - YouTube

Attachments

·
OBC Gestapo
1,221 Posts
I agree completely that you made the right decision Paul! :thumb: Man, you live the good life! I worked 10 hours today and you boated 10 hours today........doesn't seem fair! :)eh:) Hope you guys are all having a great time away from all the drama of DS........:rolleyes:
I know exactly what you're going through !!!! I paid my dues believe me !!! You need to get up to Powell and run with me , to incredibly beautiful here .

The 28 skater will be here all summer.

7161 - 7180 of 11735 Posts