Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The block repair became a rebuild. After I stitched up the water jacked I found the main webs were busted. These were totally unrelated issues. Turns out the casting I had is known for weak main webs. Fortunately I found the cracked main webs when I was fixing a leaky oil pan and not by windowed the block. The rotating assembly was OK.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The block repair became a rebuild. After I stitched up the water jacked I found the main webs were busted. These were totally unrelated issues. Turns out the casting I had is known for weak main webs. Fortunately I found the cracked main webs when I was fixing a leaky oil pan and not by windowed the block. The rotating assembly was OK.

Wait, you REPAIRED this?? Holy f'n peaches... It must be extremely difficult to sit down or walk with the size of the pair you got! :)sphss j/k

Sounds great, nice work. Its good to see something different than the same old BBC once in a while.

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wait, you REPAIRED this?? Holy f'n peaches... It must be extremely difficult to sit down or walk with the size of the pair you got! :)sphss j/k

Sounds great, nice work. Its good to see something different than the same old BBC once in a while.
No. LOL. I didn't fix the busted mains. I fixed a crack in the water jacket THEN I found the busted mains so I got a new block. Here is a link to the water jacket repair. See posts #13 & #14. Thanks for the compliment on the unique power plant.

http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-boats/82588-cracked-block-lock-n-stitch.html

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You found a new block, right? Hopefully one that is not prone to cracking?
Exactly. I found an earlier 67 year model block. It is the casting number that most Pontiac experts agree is as good as a Pontiac 400 block gets without going after market. Just for the sake of getting the info out, the castings ending in 557 are the ones with the weaker main webs. With the early block sitting next to my 557 block it is obvious to the naked eye that the ***557 blocks have less material in the main webs. The 557 blocks were produced starting ~1975.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts