Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 76 sanger mini cruiser for about 3 yrs. I had it flipped over to fix a crack, rebuilt the pump, put the fuel injected bbc in it and its been great for the last 2 seasons.

This year Ive been getting really close to having the procharged efi bbc together for it, and decided to skip out on the summer and start tearing it apart to get ready for the new engine. my biggest issue has been clearance and how to make the front pulley clear. I have really been debating doing a setback on it, but have no clue how its going to react. so my thought has been to get it in with a shorter driveshaft, see how it reacts then to do a setback if i think it will like it more, based on how it does without one. as of right now its only seen about 450-500hp.

so this last weekend i pulled the engine out and did some measuring to see about getting the engine to fit, i think i can do it with a modified driveshaft (anyone have a 1350 pto mounting flange for an h-bar, i have a 1350 h bar to mount right to the flexplat, but i need to be able to hook it up to the pto) But i also gave a real good look at doing a setback.

This is the kicker for me, I get up under there and for the first time it totally hits me how different my intake is compared to everything else i have ever seen. Which is funny because i have been under my boat many times, but just never fully realized what i was looking at. here are some pics of the bottom of my 20 ft sanger mini cruiser, let me know what you think about it, cause i have never seen anything quite like it.

AP

looking from the back forward.

the fins that extend from the front of the intake forward (you can barely see where the mount of the intake is at the top. this is looking forward)

the back of the boat has a very small pod section that extends about 2 inches past the rest of the transom.

you can really see the drop down section...almost tunnelish like. its is completely flat in the center and is about 2 inches lower than the rest of the bottom.

this picture gives a good perception of how the bottom is and its shape.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
one other thing i forgot to ask is, the people out there that have jet style sanger minis, is your bottom and transom like this?

i know the majority of sanger minis have insert pumps, i want to say that from about 78-79 on they were insert pumps...mine is not, and is somewhat rare, but on the insert pumps: does it have the same transom and bottom and mine does? I am planning to put a lot of power to this, but have no clue how its going to take it....let me know what you guys think. it does seem very different from everything i see out there.

AP

·
Premium Member
7,314 Posts
Yours is Berkeley "drop thru" intake somewhat unique to Sanger boats (as were the transom adaptors) the jets wont generally come out the back as is customary .The bottoms on that and the 18's were similar to a "Pantera" bottom I've had several of these boats Tom

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Same intake and fins in my hydro. It's a Sanger deal.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yours is Berkeley "drop thru" intake somewhat unique to Sanger boats (as were the transom adaptors) the jets wont generally come out the back as is customary .The bottoms on that and the 18's were similar to a "Pantera" bottom I've had several of these boats Tom
Tom, I had a feeling it was specific to sanger, and i have seen the superjets and sprints, with that small "pod" on the back, built into the transom. But my main thing is that the intake is actually bolted up from the bottom of the boat...not set in from the inside. is the "drop thru" refering to the fact that if it wasn't bolted and epoxied up in there it would "drop thru" the bottom??

have you ever done any setbacks on a sanger with these types of intakes?

AP

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
The intake is already flat. Go get a shoe and bolt it up. Plenty of room for plate adjustments.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
You might want to try trimming your loader before adding a shoe. The ramps look like they are hanging awful low.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, i had it out once already trimming it way down. right now i noticed only small differences, but was doing a little bit at a time (mainly to see how different it acted) the thing is that i was only doing 61 mph on gps at 4600-4700 rpm. my plans have always been to step up the power, but was playing with what i had to see if i could get a handle on how it might act at higher speed.

before the big hp engine goes in, it will be trimmed again cause it is still pretty far down right now. what kind of intake pressure do you see with that shoe? did you make that? how far down does it hang?

AP

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
It's a 1/2 inch with a two degree taper. I'm sure Tom could hook you up with a shoe. Don't have any numbers for pressure.

·
Premium Member
7,314 Posts
Had alot of issues from that particular Sanger Jet and always considered that it would benifit from simply "starting over" with a set back standard Berk or AT/Dom or ?? intake ride plate and shoe deal Tom

just sold this Sanger boat to a guy in Texas his biggest compliant (I've seen the pics) is that its way too "wet"

BTW here some pics of the Sanger circle boat , tell me this guy didn't have time on his hands (pinstriped intake area)

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had alot of issues from that particular Sanger Jet and always considered that it would benifit from simply "starting over" with a set back standard Berk or AT/Dom or ?? intake ride plate and shoe deal Tom

just sold this Sanger boat to a guy in Texas his biggest compliant (I've seen the pics) is that its way too "wet"

this one is identical the the super jet that i used to have. that one must be a 73 or 74? i too had some issued with it running really wet, but it had a droop on it, and no diverter. my current boat...the cruiser, really runs very dry for how big it is. it seems to get right up on top of the water and runs on the back couple of feet. i'm hoping with some more power it might really lift a little and run pretty hard. I have never seen anyone put any kind of big power to these sanger minis (except the v-drives) so i'm anxious to see what i can do with it.

AP

if you want to take a look at it, here is a link to a youtube video of me running it. all of the video is of the diverter all the way up except for the last run where i had it at about 3 notches from the "full up" which is where it seemed to run the hardest (gps 61mph)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLT9cHa4h3Y

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.