Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else love this movie? I have a fascination with the late 1800's to pre ww1. It must have been a wild time to live in this country. It's a awesome view into industry, hard work, religion, manipulation, screwed up people and the American dream. Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Anyone else love this movie? I have a fascination with the late 1800's to pre ww1. It must have been a wild time to live in this country. It's a awesome view into industry, hard work, religion, manipulation, screwed up people and the American dream. Anyone else?
All sounds good till you've got a toothache or something more serious back then.....
"Here-- take a shot of whiskey, then I'll rip out these 6 rotten teeth...", says the dentist/doctor/meat cutter.

Gimme novacaine, bigscreen t.v's, internal combustion engines, flatbottoms and girls in bikini's any day :)devil:)devil:)devil

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
I've tried to watch it a few times and just can't get into it... just a little slow, right up to the end when he goes "bowling"... :D

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Great movie. I also enjoy the history of that era and would have really enjoyed life back then. Im sure I would have invented lots of cool stuff.:D

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts
It is slow. I already knew the story, as I'd read the book. "The Jungle" is great also (book, same author, Upton Sinclair). It's about immigrant life in Chicago in the late 1800s and the horrible conditions in the meat-packing industry. The book actually caught the attention of Congress and new laws were passed because of it. Sinclair is an interesting person in his own right and had quite a historical impact on this nation.

I did enjoy the movie, but it's hard to get through.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Really liked it, great acting and also love that period of history. Amazing how much drive and determination some people have to get wealth at any cost. I know its fiction but probably pretty close to reality in those days.

·
Just One More
1,092 Posts
Just watched it last night, bit slow, but gotta love his slow decline into self destruction, and the bowling scene was fantastic..............

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
i WATCHED IT AGAIN THE OTHER NIGHT AND REALLY ENJOYED IT. Glad I finally sat down and watched it all the way thru.

First time I watched it I couldn't make it all the way thru it.

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
I don't think it lived up to the hype plus it's the typical Hollywood bullshit. The business man (I'm an OIL MAN!) and the pastor are both completely nuts.:)coffee

·
'Glass slinger
984 Posts
We watched all the way up to the last 15 minutes and shut it off due to lack of caring what happened. Then, for shits and giggles, before sending it back to Netflix we threw it in first thing in the morning to watch the rest.

Glad we did... but the movie wasn't that great in my opinion. Loved DDL in it, great actor, but much was so slow and predictable that I had a difficult time with it. Namely, the crazy evangelistic son telling the Dad how it is. Not going to happen then, not going to happen now.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I really enjoyed the whole movie. When That old guy Bandy gave him back his gun did he know that he killed his fake brother. Is that why he went to the church and repented. At first you really can't tell if he a good or bad guy....he was pretty messed up:)sphss

355 Posts
Watched it for the first time last Saturday , loved it and the acting was great, Itwas a little dark and a bit slow but I never lost interest.

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
I really enjoyed the whole movie. When That old guy Bandy gave him back his gun did he know that he killed his fake brother. Is that why he went to the church and repented. At first you really can't tell if he a good or bad guy....he was pretty messed up:)sphss
Everything he did was all about business and getting more oil. That is why he killed the preacher at the end. It was to make him pay for all the groviling he made him do to get the oil. Like repenting in church. He only did it so he could benefit.

He was a horrible human being

1 - 13 of 13 Posts