Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi to all, new in this thread . I want to change my boating completly, I have owned a few big v's with i/o power. now I have been a fan of the mighty v drive for a long time ,never owned one...but I luv the classics and the hot rod style....but I have a 28' pantera w/ 2x 500s...she rides awsome eats the rough up and she does reach the uper 80s...
but now I want a 24 campbell v drive......I have no idea how they ride ,and realy how much power I need to get in the 80s...
any input or ideas would be great..
thanks

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
As far as getting a 24' cruizer to 80mph, I'd get ahold of Dave Kahn (DKahnJob) here on the boards. He had a 24' blown BBC that liked to fly but not sure if it'd do 80! I'm guessing it would take +/- 900 hp to come close. The hulls are pretty flat but also VERY heavy. Good luck and like has been said, check the campbellboatowners site for classifieds.

Carl

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
thanks for all the input so far, befor I start shoping I would luv to be schooled on some very important things... First how's the ride in the rough chop, how's the handeling . Some of my questions may sound dumb but I am in the dark about v drive day cruisers. But I know I want a Campbell . Is there any other things that I need to know about these wonderfull classic hot rod crusers.:) it realy doesn't have to do 80 , I can be realilistic and go 60ish?can't I ? The speed can come later, more important is a clean, sound solid great condition boat.
Thanks.

·
Dave @ campbellboatowners
21 Posts
Campbell 24's

Key thing is cruiser. They were designed to go to Catalina without spilling Bill or Bob Campbell's Martini. They handle rough water very well and can be trimmed down to plow throw anything. They are heavy, so it takes some horsepower to make them move. We have owners with Blown and Turbocharged motors, and they used to race the 24's at the regattas, so there was some serious horsepower applied to these boats.
The V-drive is a different beast to drive, but there are I/O's out there also. If you are going to put any horsepower to it, you would be better off with the V-drive, as most were built before the Bravo drives were available, so you would need to update the drive to handle serious HP.
My wife loves the Cuddy Cabin option, to store and get out of the sun or wind when we are moving.
The thing about a Campbell vs any other boat on the lake is no matter where we go someone has to come come check it out and talk to you aout it. It is like cruising the streets in a 32 Ford, everyone knows what it is and knows someone who has one or used to have one. The big boats will get you across the lake in 10 minutes, but the Campbell gets you there in style and everyone is checking it out when you pull up.

Check out the classifieds on the website, a lot of nice ones available.

http://www.campbellboatowners.org/!classifieds.html

Also there are some on Craigslist that I have not got on to the site yet

·
world's oldest teenager
685 Posts
It takes about 900 hp to get a 24 Campbell to run 80 mph. The boat must be properly set up as well. In their stock form they were not set up for this kind of speed, so you just can't stick a big engine in and expect to go fast and have it handle well. Properly set up they are a ball to go fast and feel just like a big flat bottom.

In their stock form they are 50-55 mph boats and still lots of fun. I just bought another Campbell. After being out of the Campbell family I just had to get back in.

My new boat is actually 40 years old. It is a 24' Campbell runabout, with a 427 Chevy. The boat was originally built for Dan Blocker (Hoss Cartwright on Bonanza) in 1969. Rumor has it that this boat may have been at his home at Lago Como, in Italy for a period of time.

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
Damnit Dave, I shoulda picked that thing up earlier when I knew I shoulda!

Nice piece, did you have to do much? Turnkey deal?

Really nice boat.

Carl

·
world's oldest teenager
685 Posts
That's a super cool story Dan. Do you ever run it in salt water ?

Chad
HI Chad,
Not Dan, it is David.
I just got it yesterday. I have it stored in the garage at my Havasu house. I don't really think I am going to put it in the salt water. That is too hard on the trailer.
Take care,
Dave
PS you flattie is really looking good.
DK

·
world's oldest teenager
685 Posts
Damnit Dave, I shoulda picked that thing up earlier when I knew I shoulda!

Nice piece, did you have to do much? Turnkey deal?

Really nice boat.

Carl
Hi Carl,
It was so turn key that it was even full of gas, new impeller, fresh oil, all I had to do was put ice in the on board cooler and go. It is a really fun boat.
I only got about 30 minutes of seat time yesterday, as I had to get back to work.
Dave

·
Registered
934 Posts
Missy is a beautiful boat with a fascinating history. Congratulations on a great acquisition!!

We just went through the Campbell shopping experience and would be glad to let you know what we found, just send me PM and I will give you our number. We are up to our elbows in our new 24' daycruiser getting it ready for the lake before the summer is over. The Campbell community is very helpful and that goes for the V-drive folks too. (check out v-driveboat.com).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wow Dave, NICE acquisition! Talk about classic. "Hop Sing no cook for Hoss!" lol. Whats that now for the clan a bakers dozen? We sure miss our 24'. Just the attitude you take to the lake with one in tow ensures you'll have a blast. You say they run like a big flat bottom and now you own the only one that looks like a big flat bottom. Question...Did you ever see Ed Delongs flat deck 24 Spectra V-drive? I believe Pop told me it was a twin screw? Movie Money, you can't go wrong with a Campbell, just make sure you're not really looking for a Rayson or Schiada...performance wise. Dave, name suggestion: InKAHNspicuous;)

·
world's oldest teenager
685 Posts
I like the name allot!

Still haven't renamed the former "Kahn Job"...Open to suggestions???

I love this boat! A Blown 24' Campbell.

Thanks to David Kahn for the photo.
Guys, thanks for all of the encouragement and nice words. I am very excited to be the new caretaker for Missy.
Dave

·
world's oldest teenager
685 Posts
Wow Dave, NICE acquisition! Talk about classic. "Hop Sing no cook for Hoss!" lol. Whats that now for the clan a bakers dozen? We sure miss our 24'. Just the attitude you take to the lake with one in tow ensures you'll have a blast. You say they run like a big flat bottom and now you own the only one that looks like a big flat bottom. Question...Did you ever see Ed Delongs flat deck 24 Spectra V-drive? I believe Pop told me it was a twin screw? Movie Money, you can't go wrong with a Campbell, just make sure you're not really looking for a Rayson or Schiada...performance wise. Dave, name suggestion: InKAHNspicuous;)
Never saw the flat deck Spectra, but I'll bet is was a nice rig. I love Spectra's too. They are all part of the family.
DK

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ed DeLong and his wife Sue originally raced a flat deck 24 Campbell in POPBRA races in the late 1960s and very early 70s before he started up Spectra and persuaded Bud Bailey to go with him in the new venture. Ed's 24 Campbell was a twin engine (427s), twin V-drive. He and Sue did okay in competition but seemed to have more than their share of mechanical problems. The most successful 24 Spectra was the boat that Rick Fowler (champion speed ski racer and Spectra's head rigger and mechanic) built for Les Kepler -- it was an impressive piece. Flawless rigging -- it was a twin-engine freight-train, two 350 c.i. Chevy small blocks (reasonably mild, 400 HP each) connected end to end thru a single V-drive with an offset outboard rudder system since all the underwater gear had been moved aft. Very fast (80 to 82 mph) and incredibly dependable -- it never broke. Was the overall first place winner in the 1972 Catalina Ski Race pulling Danny Churchill. Les sold the boat a couple of years later to drag racer Barry McGown who took out the small blocks and put in big blocks (454s). The boat was a little faster but never seemed to handle as good. The 24 Spectra low deck model that was mentioned was a factory boat -- it had twin staggered 454s and two V-drives. The boat only ran in one offshore race (San Diego). Gil Gilbert drove and Bud Bailey rode as navigator. Terribly rough race and the Spectra came back in pieces and was never raced again. Dan Blocker also raced in a couple of early 1970s POPBRA races in his 32-foot Campbell, "Lady in Cement" named after the movie he was in with Frank Sinatra.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.