Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealio that keeps the car door from closing on you when it gets to the stop point on my 03 Tahoe broke. Its a little hinge deal, all mechanical. My Dad is a mechanic and could get me the part I figure $10 maybe $15.....but no cost was $40! WTF. No wonder we can't build cars at a competitive price, how much BS is built into that price??? Here is a pic. I am assuming it would be over $100 to fix at a dealer as the door panel has to come off as the part goes through the door and attaches to the A pillar.

I was thinking of selling it as a whole vehicle but I think I will just disassemble and sell the individual parts on EBay as people need them. This Tahoe has to be worth at least $1,000,000 minimum. geeezus

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
That $40 is pretty cheap compared to amount of damage you'll get if you don't replace it. ;)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hinge

Why is that? You speaking of body damage if the door swings in to something or bodily injury when it closes on my shin?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Seems pretty cheap. My computer shows a list price of $ 51.69. A lot more to that part when you see the portion inside the door. And yes without it there is a good chance to damage the door and hinges.

·
skiing Parker since 1960
645 Posts
My wife's '05 tahoe was making a "grinding" noise when EVERYTHING was off, the noise was coming from under the seat on the frame, and the "abs" light was staying on. Turned out to be the "EBCM" ??????? the godam thing fit into the palm of my frikin hand :|err.................$ 1301.40 later all was good :|err:|err...........................$962.78 for the part, labor, $264.00 AND because of some "special" tool that ONLY the dealer has, I HAD to go thru the dealership. :|err

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
The dealio that keeps the car door from closing on you when it gets to the stop point on my 03 Tahoe broke. Its a little hinge deal, all mechanical. My Dad is a mechanic and could get me the part I figure $10 maybe $15.....but no cost was $40! WTF. No wonder we can't build cars at a competitive price, how much BS is built into that price??? Here is a pic. I am assuming it would be over $100 to fix at a dealer as the door panel has to come off as the part goes through the door and attaches to the A pillar.

I was thinking of selling it as a whole vehicle but I think I will just disassemble and sell the individual parts on EBay as people need them. This Tahoe has to be worth at least $1,000,000 minimum. geeezus

i do those all the time, gravy $$$$$:D we charge 1 hr to pop off the door panel and to replace the door check link. it takes a 10mm socket to remove it, plus you have to pull it out from inside the door.i can change em in 5minutes:p

·
Senior Expert
252 Posts

I just used gmpartsdirect.com to buy a splash shield that goes on the inner fender well for my Tahoe. My local dealer wanted $80 for the part and Im telling you it is a piece of hard rubber that measure 10"x20". I told the guy he was out of his mind. I got it online for $18 plus $12 dollars to ship it. The guy at the dealer said we cater to collision repair centers who are paid by insurance companies. I also priced a radiator for the same vehicle about 6 months ago. The dealer wanted $800 and third party was $250. The parts departments at dealerships are no longer for guys like you and I that still do our own repairs.

·
639 Posts
I needed a coil pack on my Ford Excursion (V-10) and the dealer wanted $119. The place working on my Excursion said I should replace all 10 coil packs for $1190 + labor! I told them to pound sand. I found one for $12 with a boot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
might be a little late but...part # is 15173407 and i'll give it to ya for 35.00 plus tax..pm me if you need it.Camino Real Chevrolet

·
Unhyphenated American
1,938 Posts
A lot of the cost is simply overhead for having to warehouse every part for every car the company has built. There is a lot going on behind the scene that needs to be paid for to enable someone to be able to order a part for a ten year old car and still be able to make a dollar. :)bulb

Also some after market parts are junk. I bought two in tank fuel pumps for my 3500 from an aftermarket company. The truck left me stranded in Havasu and ruined a weekend of boating. I had the local Dealership install a factory unit and have had no problems. So now I buy all factory parts, yeah they cost more........

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My rant

I can understand overhead etc. There is not much to the part, yeah, maybe not that many fail etc. Just seemed a bit high even at cost. I got the part now just need the time to pull the door panel and slap it in.....

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
I can understand overhead etc. There is not much to the part, yeah, maybe not that many fail etc. Just seemed a bit high even at cost. I got the part now just need the time to pull the door panel and slap it in.....

Overhead is the big ass ship that brings it over from China.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts