Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my first boat turned bad when i found the floor was bad. Well my new one....

so how do you fix a floor on a full stringer boat... THE RIGHT WAY NOT JUST PATCHING IT! ALSO my driver side stringer is K.I.A had a knot on both sides and it was now looks like this

how do i fix this???? PLEASE DONT SAY REPLACES THE STRINGER...

lets start with these two problems :mad:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
So my first boat turned bad when i found the floor was bad. Well my new one....

so how do you fix a floor on a full stringer boat... THE RIGHT WAY NOT JUST PATCHING IT! ALSO my driver side stringer is K.I.A had a knot on both sides and it was now looks like this

how do i fix this???? PLEASE DONT SAY REPLACES THE STRINGER...

lets start with these two problems :mad:
OK I won't say ( REPLACE THE STRINGERS),,, You have alot of work ahead of you!

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Realitywow that sucks sorry:)Rantbest thing to do is check the rest of the stringer strength and go from there.if they are okay you can patch the bad spots,or atleast i could.good luck.:)hand

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Realitywow that sucks sorry:)Rantbest thing to do is check the rest of the stringer strength and go from there.if they are okay you can patch the bad spots,or atleast i could.good luck.:)hand
tell me about it..... that is the only thing wrong with the stringers. l):ame

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
expensive hobby! i found out my floor was bad when my foot peddal screws ripped out doin 70 down the river. stringers seem fine though so i patched her up and will get to the floor issue when i have the cash. those stringers look shot!!! that sux man. I hope you can get her hashed out and on the water soon!!:)devil

·
Impeachment!
3,728 Posts
just infront of the driver seat... say 6 inches
That's not a knot at all. At one time your boat was set up with the forward/reverse lever in the stringer, ahead of the driver's seat.
My old Miller was set up the same way.....shady. They simply cored out a big ass hole so that the 'morse' escutcheon would countersink into the stringer, thus making the shift lever shaft long enough.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
just infront of the driver seat... say 6 inches
I would repair the stringer and replace the floor if it were mine.

I'm sure this will get me another internet beating but... :D

Cut the old floor out, I used a circular saw with a carefull eye on the blade depth to get the majority of the floor out, I then used a grinder (with cut off and grinding wheels) and a wood chisel and a hammer to finish clearing out the old wood and glass, I got some marine grade plywood and cut it to size, covered the plywood with resin, cut the plywood piece need for the back of the floor near the front of the engine and resined it, put the plywood in place, using cloth and resin glassed in the outer few inches of the entire floor and all over the piece in the back under the floor near the front of the engine, the process took a little over a 1/2 of a day. Good luck.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You need to replace the stringer to do it correctly....or at least replace a few feet of the stringer.......How much do you like the hull?

Floor and stringer is a lot of work if the hull is not that great to start with

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Stringer time....not so bad if you don't have pretty balsa floors.

·
Impeachment!
3,728 Posts
If the rest of the stringers are solid I'd plug and patch the hole and call it good. If you intend to cover the stringers with carpet the patch-job shouldn't be that difficult. When I fixed the Miller I wanted to gelcoat the stringers black.....so my glasswork had to be flat & purdy.
Measure the hole. Use a holesaw to make a plug to fit the hole. I used what I had on hand, ,which was some nice birch plywood. If I remember correctly I had to sandwich 2 pieces of 3/4 ply to make up the 1.5" thickness of the stringer.
Use some resin (epoxy is best) to glue the plug into the hole. Use c-clamps to keep the plug from falling out of the hole as the resin cures. Once it's dry sand the area smooth and lay some fiberglass cloth over both sides of the patch. Use a couple layers.

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
Not second guessing anybody here (or maybe I am a bit), but I have a question...

With all the 1/4 stringer boats out there running around, would it really be necessary to replace the stringers because of this small section? I'm just thinking that even if this entire section from seats to bow were missing, it would still be stronger than a 1/4 stringer boat.

Personally I don't think this particular hull would be worth the effort to replace them (sorry Dimarco, you might feel differently), but that it would still be fine for normal lake useage. Granted "The Patch" might not be the perfect way to do it, but it seems it would still work.

Obviously it's been like this for quite a while and it's still surviving.

Then again........the thread is entitled "HELP! FIXING IT THE RIGHT WAY!"

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
the problem is i have 2k into the boat... maybe more:mad:

Don't feel bad...I've probably got $15000 in mine and it's still pile of shat.

Boats are funny like that...you tend to stand there staring at your busted heap going..."well, I might as well spend a little more money becuase it doesn't do any good just sitting here"...and then something else breaks....and the same words go through your head trying to justify to yourself why you should spend more money...and it happens again and again....It's part of the game.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts