Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a co-worker with a crappy problem. His house is in the inland empire, and was built in the 80's with ABS plastic sewer lines. He had a party recently, and after everyone left noticed a sewer back up. (no septic, he has city sewer)

Long story short, the plumber comes out, clears the line, and sticks a camera in the cleanout to find the problem. Well, about 100' from his house, RIGHT where it leads into the main line under the city asphalt, they found that the abs appears to be crushed, hence causing a restriction. Someone at the party threw baby wipes in the toilet which caused them to get hung up.

He's telling me that since it's the line leading to the city sewer, it's still his responsibilty. Someone told him around 5k to 10k to contract out to dig up the street and fix. Does this sound right???? Sounds crazy to me that you'd have to fix your sewer line when it's under a city street, not even on your property. I told him to blame it on the road crushing it..but he's sweatin it big time right now.

Can he file an insurance claim on it? Just for info, it's a city not county area, in the 909 area.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Sounds exactly right, I work for a water/ sewer agency in irvine and the customer is responsible for there own sewer latteral all the way to the connection at the citys main line, (I know it sucks). Tell him he may want to look at other options like slip lining his latteral. The only way maybe he could get the city to pay is if there was a city owned tree causing root intrusion in his latteral, I would get a few more quotes if I were him.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is slip lining? something done from the street? I assume it's sliding another tube inside of the ABS?

·
skiing Parker since 1960
645 Posts
Found out yesterday, AFTER we got a $300+ waterbill, we have a broke waterline FROM the water company's meter to our shop building in Hemet. Gonna cost $300 for an "encroachment" fee to rip up the 4 feet of city sidewalk to get to the broken pipe :|err

·
Large Member
2,150 Posts
Sounds exactly right, I work for a water/ sewer agency in irvine and the customer is responsible for there own sewer latteral all the way to the connection at the citys main line, (I know it sucks). Tell him he may want to look at other options like slip lining his latteral. The only way maybe he could get the city to pay is if there was a city owned tree causing root intrusion in his latteral, I would get a few more quotes if I were him.
Same applies in the City of Whittier. The city used to take care of the street portion until about 5 years ago, then saw a way they could stick it to the homeowners.

I'm not a big fan of having the pipe lined. I've seen a few slip lined jobs that had to be repiped a few years later.

I second getting a few quotes on the job. 10k sounds way high considering they'll probably replace 6' or less of pipe.

·
Monrovia in the House
411 Posts
I would get a few more quotes and at least talk to the City. And make the person who tossed baby wipes in the toilet pay for it.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
The responsibility, as I understand it, is from the city "service" to the home. The service should be someplace on the homeowner's property. Rarely is it in the street or PUE. Should be back of the sidewalk or street curb.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
The responsibility, as I understand it, is from the city "service" to the home. The service should be someplace on the homeowner's property. Rarely is it in the street or PUE. Should be back of the sidewalk or street curb.
Thats how it is here. Here the homeowner can do the job if wanted.

·
Registered
498 Posts
He owns it to the connection. It should not be in the street.
I had a similar problem in my old house and the quotes were around $2,500 for a new sewer line. About 80' of line. I rented a little landscape excavator and did the job myself for around $380.00 with rental and material costs. Took me two days; one to dig and lay the pipe and one to backfill. I was Joe Plumber...:)sphss

·
Large Member
679 Posts
I live in riverside, had the same problem. It's the owners responsibility to maintain the lateral sewer line. I had them do a slip liner. They use air pressure to restore the passage way. Then use a resin type material to rebuild the line. My connection is in the middle of the street so I would have had to tear into the street.

·
Registered
373 Posts
BS It's your's to your property line, In Anaheim it's your's to the inside of your sidewalk. Get an Attorney watch how fast they fix it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
sounds like a "crappy" situation all the way around

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
Found out yesterday, AFTER we got a $300+ waterbill, we have a broke waterline FROM the water company's meter to our shop building in Hemet. Gonna cost $300 for an "encroachment" fee to rip up the 4 feet of city sidewalk to get to the broken pipe :|err
You may have to pay for the permit, but you can have it dug up for free.

Just go down to the Home Depot and tell a bunch of those guys hanging around out front that you buried a Green Card there. :)devil

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it makes you guys feel better, pictured is only about 1/2 of my line replacement to the street. :))eek:))

Holy Shytballz...that there is work!

thanks for the input i forwarded it all to him. HOpefully he'll come out in the deal.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
I had a leak right off the meter a couple years ago and had had others too in the line to the house prior to that so I replaced the whole line from house to street. I did it myself in a weekend. Cut the sidewalk and replaced it the same day. I have a small home mixer that makes quick work of small crap like that. Cheap plumbing used by some contractors to save a buck sucks ass a few years down the road. They did my water line with that black plastic hose crap, what a joke.

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
I had a leak right off the meter a couple years ago and had had others too in the line to the house prior to that so I replaced the whole line from house to street. I did it myself in a weekend. Cut the sidewalk and replaced it the same day. I have a small home mixer that makes quick work of small crap like that. Cheap plumbing used by some contractors to save a buck sucks ass a few years down the road. They did my water line with that black plastic hose crap, what a joke.
It really doesn't look too bad if you cut a straight line in a driveway or sidewalk.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts