Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,496 Posts
to try to answer your question:
From what ive read on hear if you have play in your impeller shaft its and indication of a worn TB.....If you even suspect its going out toss it and get a new one... Cheap insurance...

· E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,625 Posts
to try to answer your question:
From what ive read on hear if you have play in your impeller shaft its and indication of a worn TB.....If you even suspect its going out toss it and get a new one... Cheap insurance...
Yep, pretty much.

Open the hand hole cover and try to move the shaft arround, laterally and fore/aft.

Almost any movement, is grounds to scrap it.

If it moves fore/aft very much (let alone moves like 1/4 inch and ate into the suction housing) pull the engine, flip it over, pull the pan, and pray for the thrust bearing (and all the expensive parts in front of it).

· Premium Member
7,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's going on...weird noise? I recently had a noise I thought was coming from the pump....one trip before echo.
We were running and all of a sudden lost a little power. Shut it down and then started hearing some noise. Shut it off. In the driveway when turning it over you can hear noise coming from around the thrust bearing or the U-joint.
I tried to move the input shaft around but it doesn't move. Maybe the u-joint???

· Registered
329 Posts
As stated above you don't want to trash a motor over a 70.00 bearing ,so check it out. Keep in mind if the TB is bad it may turn but be forced forward and with little press may not show fore to aft movement.You can tap on the pump shaft(aft) and that may free it up as to show endplay. Isay this only because my pump showed all good as far as no end play or shaft up and down play. Took it apart and TB was junk impailer was junk and suc. housing was junk. Look at it well not just a quick feel. Just my .02 cts:)devil

· Sit N' Spin
1,345 Posts
We were running and all of a sudden lost a little power. Shut it down and then started hearing some noise. Shut it off. In the driveway when turning it over you can hear noise coming from around the thrust bearing or the U-joint.
I tried to move the input shaft around but it doesn't move. Maybe the u-joint???
Yeah it could be a U-joint too. Try to move the u-joint up and down. Any play is bad.

Also, you can pull the U-joint out and spin the pump by hand...see if she makes any wierd noise (they should be pretty quiet).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.