Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before I get in there and just start beating the thing to death I though I would ask first prior to pounding on it...What's the best way to remove it...I know the key has to come out..see how the arm has slipped for some reason. I noticed it a couple of months ago and it was down about 1/16 and now a lot more..The pin is flush inside the droop..the arm has slipped up..thought I would ask prior to breaking it...thanks.

Attachments

·
Some guy
3,615 Posts
Before I get in there and just start beating the thing to death I though I would ask first prior to pounding on it...What's the best way to remove it...I know the key has to come out..see how the arm has slipped for some reason. I noticed it a couple of months ago and it was down about 1/16 and now a lot more..The pin is flush inside the droop..the arm has slipped up..thought I would ask prior to breaking it...thanks.
Got a 3 jaw puller,, or maybe even a 2 jaw? Seems like it would not take a ton of pressure to remove without damage.

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Got a 3 jaw puller,, or maybe even a 2 jaw? Seems like it would not take a ton of pressure to remove without damage.
So you definitely need a puller..you just can't pry it up because of the key..and the cast material the arm is made from..correct? I do have a 2 jaw puller..

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
So you definitely need a puller..you just can't pry it up because of the key..and the cast material the arm is made from..correct? I do have a 2 jaw puller..
If it already "moved" on its own , its not likely to be too tight , either take the allen head screw all the way out and carefully "ask it" (the tiller arm) to come out with the help and persuation of a rawhide or plastic topped mallet or you may be able to push it in enough to remove the lower woodruff key and the pull the tiller and shaft u straight up and out together ... Tom

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it already "moved" on its own , its not likely to be too tight , either take the allen head screw all the way out and carefully "ask it" (the tiller arm) to come out with the help and persuation of a rawhide or plastic topped mallet or you may be able to push it in enough to remove the lower woodruff key and the pull the tiller and shaft u straight up and out together ... Tom
Yes it has moved on it's own...Can I leave the shaft in place, remove the top set screw and use a puller to remove the tiller arm. Then tap the tiller arm back in place with the key down so it's level again with the top of the shaft..or would you not recommend using a puller to remove..thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts