Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Time for the Whipple upgrade Again!

As most of you guys know I built a Raylared I Whippled 496ho last winter. The engine made 655hp and pushed my 22 Daytona to about 103mph. Like everyone, I desided that it was boring after a few times out. I had a friend that was going to sell me a Phaff 800 but, he backed out. I finally contacted Dustin Whipple about upgrading my HO. During the coversation he mentioned that he had a 540 he rebuilt for a customer that backed out on him. Dustin and I struck a deal on the motor. the specs are: gm block short deck 540, AFR 325 ported heads, Crane valvetrain & cam, JE pistons, Manley rotating assembly, CMI headers, 3.3 liter blower.
After dynoing the motor it made 900.2hp at 5850rpms. We then desided to swap the 3.3 for the 4.0 blower. The final dyno numbers were 955hp @6100 and 904ftlb @4200.
The engine should ship Monday and I will update the thread as it gets installed. Hopefully this will be the last upgrade for a while, and I sure hope it halls ass. :D
Dustin sent me a couple of pics of it on the dyno. The overall theme of this engine is going to be black so, it will all be painted when it arrives. The final picture is what look I am going after.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Congrats! That is a super nice set up, I think you will be very happy. Now that Dustin is done with that motor maybe he can get mine done :D

MP

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I dont have the final dyno or build sheet yet. The 3.3 was at 8.7lbs. I am assuming the 4.0 was the same. The crank is forged but I am not sure on the brand. He is sending the build and dyno sheet with the engine.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I traded my Sportmaster shorty with 1:50 gears for a new Imco 2" shorty with 1:36. I already have it installed. As far as props, my buddies and I have a pretty good labbed selection from Mercury. I have a 32 on it now but also have a26, 28, 33, 34, 36. I guess I will start with the 32 and go up. I think this combo will test my ball size :D

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I traded my Sportmaster shorty with 1:50 gears for a new Imco 2" shorty with 1:36. I already have it installed. As far as props, my buddies and I have a pretty good labbed selection from Mercury. I have a 32 on it now but also have a26, 28, 33, 34, 36. I guess I will start with the 32 and go up. I think this combo will test my ball size :D
call me..I'll come down and drive it for you...:)hand

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
Wow, that is going to be one of the fastest 22 Daytonas on the water. I had one back in the mid 90's and running 95 in it was no problem at all unless the water got bumpy. It did not fly level at all and was very ass heavy with the big motor. Made for some scary air moments. Good luck with your project and stay safe on the water.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had one of the old style 22 also. The new style drives and handles like a 25. I will still be very carefull. 100 was kinda boring in this new hull.

·
Registered
436 Posts
No innercooler? When is it important to run an innercooler? Can someone explain the benefits and why it is not used. Thanks

·
Distinguished Member
412 Posts
No innercooler? When is it important to run an innercooler? Can someone explain the benefits and why it is not used. Thanks
Top pic in this thread. Look directly below the blower and you'll see the 2-90 degree AN fittings that go into & out of the intercooler.

·
Registered
436 Posts
ok ...I see it now. MOAC mother of all coolers. When is it ok to NOT run a cooler....I see it on Blower shop units with carbs....I imagine that it has something to do with hatch space. When is it safe to leave it out?

·
Damage Inc
433 Posts
ok ...I see it now. MOAC mother of all coolers. When is it ok to NOT run a cooler....I see it on Blower shop units with carbs....I imagine that it has something to do with hatch space. When is it safe to leave it out?
When running alcohol.

·
Registered
436 Posts
what is the perfect intake air temp for the best HP....how cold is too cold.

Great looking engine by the way....if Whipple put it together you know it is going to live.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
The "new" 22 has never been tested to this level. I'm a big fan of the ride...good luck with the project and keep posting as ya go...:cool:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Shue, I am sure I will be talking with Tony on and off untill its complete. I also may need to send my hatch cover back to you guys for a little make over. I am going to try to stuff this in with no hood scoop.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts