Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there's a lot of LE bashing on here...but dang...time to pick on some of you guys...

I've been dealing with a couple contractors,...home improvement stuff...and it seems like NOBODY can show up on time, do the job exactly how you want, and for the price initially quoted. Oh and same goes for when you get your boat fixed somewhere.

At least when you get a ticket, you now how much and exactly when the ordeal will be over. Contractors are biggest rip off and revenue generators for themselves ever.

Shit...rant over :happy:

·
Dogma's a bitch.
309 Posts
Maybe the next time you write a citation you could give them an "estimate" of time and cost. :)

"Sorry, your court date was moved, we had "something come up".

"Sorry, that fine was an estimate, we found alot of problems here, its gonna add to the original fine."

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe the next time you write a citation you could give them an "estimate" of time and cost. :)

"Sorry, your court date was moved, we had "something come up".

"Sorry, that fine was an estimate, we found alot of problems here, its gonna add to the original fine."
haha yeah that wouldn't go over well now would it.

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
I know there's a lot of LE bashing on here...but dang...time to pick on some of you guys...

I've been dealing with a couple contractors,...home improvement stuff...and it seems like NOBODY can show up on time, do the job exactly how you want, and for the price initially quoted. Oh and same goes for when you get your boat fixed somewhere.

At least when you get a ticket, you now how much and exactly when the ordeal will be over. Contractors are biggest rip off and revenue generators for themselves ever.

The contractor works FOR YOU.... easy.... if he's late he's FIRED... if he's a pig or cant do the work correctly... FIRE HIM!.... YOU ARE the CONSUMER, call the shots! If he breaks the contract, sue'em for breach of contract!

Oh yea and if you deal with unlicensed, unbonded, uninsured, non-US citizens to do your work.... well you get what you pay for... sorry!

But the regular every day contractor out there earning a 'good-living' doing good work isnt a "rip-off" like you LEO's that are simply out protecting your pension plans writing bogus tickets for BS. WE PAY OUR OWN WAY, ESPECIALLY the NON-union guys!!!!

Rant over.... ;)

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
. . . and if you give him money up front because he needs to purchase materials, ask him why you should trust him if his suppliers don't. With few exceptions, I pay exclusively for work that is finished to my satisfaction. Just hired a backhoe operator and electrician this morning.

·
Registered
797 Posts
If the worthless union guy shows up late, can't perform his job correctly, you can't fire him, he gets promoted. Another issue with the unions, the guys good at their job, never get promoted, as they need them in thir current position so the work gets done.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The contractor works FOR YOU.... easy.... if he's late he's FIRED... if he's a pig or cant do the work correctly... FIRE HIM!.... YOU ARE the CONSUMER, call the shots! If he breaks the contract, sue'em for breach of contract!

Oh yea and if you deal with unlicensed, unbonded, uninsured, non-US citizens to do your work.... well you get what you pay for... sorry!

But the regular every day contractor out there earning a 'good-living' doing good work isnt a "rip-off" like you LEO's that are simply out protecting your pension plans writing bogus tickets for BS. WE PAY OUR OWN WAY, ESPECIALLY the NON-union guys!!!!

Rant over.... ;)

oh shit the ticket thing again..DAMN That get's f'ing old. Ever look at a prison? The over filled ones ?? who puts those guys in prison..people protecting their pensions?
AS IF CONTRACTORS AND CONSTRUCTION WORKERS DONT protect theirs..come on now.

Just because these guys are licensed and bonded doesn't mean shyt...they still take forever...call you picky when you tell them what you want..take long lunches. Unbelievable.

i'm just sayin'...

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
. . . and if you give him money up front because he needs to purchase materials, ask him why you should trust him if his suppliers don't. With few exceptions, I pay exclusively for work that is finished to my satisfaction. Just hired a backhoe operator and electrician this morning.

What are you having done doc?

I started this thread just to stir it up and vent..but come on man..people complain about response times of LEO's...shit if i could get a painter or landscape guy to show up as fast as a cop would when you call 911 i'd be somewhat pleased.

guess the few bad apples ruin it for the good ones..but shit everyone that comes out to do stuff at my place is a PITA.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
oh shit the ticket thing again..DAMN That get's f'ing old. Ever look at a prison? The over filled ones ?? who puts those guys in prison..people protecting their pensions?

Just because these guys are licensed and bonded doesn't mean shyt...they still take forever...call you picky when you tell them what you want..take long lunches. Unbelievable.

i'm just sayin'...
Contractors in a way are alot like Cops..there are some real good ones out there then there are the real piece of shit ones.....Question is...Which one are you??? Just Saying.....

·
Just Me
4,086 Posts
Depends on what side you are on my friend...
Dealing with the Police is abreeze comparted to dealing with contractors. Cops don't treat you like you were born last night, they don't care when you were born. You broke the law, here is your ticket.

Every contractor I've dealt with seems to have some special "work that will need to be done in order to do the job right". I had 4 local advertized contractors bid a small bathroom job, the least expensive bid was $11,000 plust the cost of a new septic tank. Each contractor had his own hook to run the bid up, but of course you had to do it their way if you wanted it done right. I wond up doing the job myself for around, $9500 including the new septic tank. The speptic tank was 6,000 and it tied into the existing house tank, so it was less than they quoted as well. The 3500 in materials bought top of the line quality stuff. So for one week of work, by myself mostly, I saved $6500 in labor and mark up. I did the job the way I wanted it done, and it works just fine without any of their you have to do this part this way to make it work right. Had they all picked the same part to do it their way, I probably would have sucked it up and let them do it. But, when they each picked a different area to be the price builder, I said screw them all.

We are getting ready to build a new house, and I dread having to find the contractor to contract the build with. I am having the plans drawn by an arhcitect, the materials bid by a couple suppliers, and they will even tell me how much the concrete should cost. So I am going to bid the contract out. The only variable should be who they use to subcontract it, and how much they think they should make. Boy, I hope that is an easier process than getting bids on a simple bathroom.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
What pension are you talking about? No pension here. Who do I bribe to get a guaranteed lifetime salary based on my highest earning year, at an early age, regardless of the fact that not enough money was deposited to cover the cost of this benefit, and someone else is going to have to pony up to pay for my "retirement".
I looked into becoming an LEO many years ago. My business partner did become one. As I remember maximum retirement was 60% at 62 years old. How did it become 90% at 50???????????

You forgot about the firemen. What do you get when you put 5 firemen in a room with 20 lesbians??????? 25 people who don't do DICK!

·
Banned
5,950 Posts

Shit...rant over :happy:[/QUOTE

hil:)

·
6,873 Posts
If the worthless union guy shows up late, can't perform his job correctly, you can't fire him, he gets promoted. Another issue with the unions, the guys good at their job, never get promoted, as they need them in thir current position so the work gets done.
Ain't that the truth

·
Premium Member
782 Posts

Your hiring the wrong people and contractor.Maybe getting the lowest bid? That don't work most of the time .
They don't show up or hours late without a call get some one else. And never pay up front.
And for getting my boat fixed so far I'm lucky but then I go to Cobra Performance .

·
The510
237 Posts
I'm sure everyone has been pulled over at least once in there life, And the police officer did not give you a ticket. Stop bashing on cops because a lot of people are jelous that they have a great job get paid well and get to retire at a great age with an awsome pension. The average retired police officer dies from stress related problems approximately 6 years after retirement. That is because the demands he or she goes through while working his 20-34 years. People who hate on them should loose the right to call 911 when someone is breaking into your house. Stop calling 911 when you are at a bar someone is damn near bearing your buddy to death. Stop calling 911 the police when your tools get stolen. People are dumb for trying take away shit from cops. We want the people who protect us to be happy. Other wise the next time he sees a 6'5" 240 black dude fresh out on parole for a home invasion he may just say fuck it let him go. Then your house might be the house bubba comes to next. Cops need to retire fairly early in life for this simple reason. While police officers get older in their career the criminals are usually the same age 17-35. Is it fair that a 60+ man has to fight a buffed up 25 year old. And for people against union jobs. Shame on you. You should have been responsible and got one when you were younger and smarter. I own and operate a family owned business for the last 12 years. I am not in a union, and have no pension plan. I just Respect those who deserve to be respected. People voting against unions are just effecting other good people's family's. I'd rather help the good people and let the bad people do what they do. What goes around comes around.

·
small member
1,480 Posts
"Contractors are biggest rip off and revenue generators for themselves ever."

This would be the same as saying every LE takes advatage of there postion and live by there own set of rules:shock:.

maybe you just chose the wrong contractor.Did you get multiple bids? Is the contract cut and dry as to what is to be done. Alot of times customers are not the clearest on what they want done and expect everything under the sun included becuse they failed to properly plan what they want before they start. if its in writing then it needs to be done. if if was not included in the contract then an extra charge should be made. if they do not perform and its really that bad then contact cslb. If they left the work unfinished and it will cost you to complete then go after there bond.

Now being late is just not right. My guys go by early is on time on time is late.

one final thing. just like anything else most seem to think it is easy and why does it cost so much. If thats the case have at it.

PS i do commercial because home owners suck to deal with:)bit

·
small member
1,480 Posts
Your hiring the wrong people and contractor.Maybe getting the lowest bid? That don't work most of the time .
They don't show up or hours late without a call get some one else. And never pay up front.
And for getting my boat fixed so far I'm lucky but then I go to Cobra Performance .
the most a contractor can ask for up front is 10% (does not mean some do not try to get it up front because of getting strung out)the rest lies in the terms of the contract

1 - 20 of 63 Posts