Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Speed is a function of $$
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Got a problem and was hoping to get some feedback. Took my boat to the lake this past weekend and noticed the motor running funny. Ran great on the trailer before I took it up there, real responsive, sounded crisp, etc. Got to the lake, dropped it in and fired it up. Sound fine at idol but as soon as you gave it gas it sounded like the timing was off or "misfiring". Though it could have been fuel so I checked float levels and neddle and seats and they were all fine. Also had 7 lbs pressure whole time so it was good there. Got it back to the house. Checked all the spark plugs and they all have fire. Havent changed anything since the last time it was at the lake two weeks ago and it ran great. Any ideas?

·
"BOATLESS"
3,468 Posts
Hello all. Got a problem and was hoping to get some feedback. Took my boat to the lake this past weekend and noticed the motor running funny. Ran great on the trailer before I took it up there, real responsive, sounded crisp, etc. Got to the lake, dropped it in and fired it up. Sound fine at idol but as soon as you gave it gas it sounded like the timing was off or "misfiring". Though it could have been fuel so I checked float levels and neddle and seats and they were all fine. Also had 7 lbs pressure whole time so it was good there. Got it back to the house. Checked all the spark plugs and they all have fire. Havent changed anything since the last time it was at the lake two weeks ago and it ran great. Any ideas?
What kind of scoop do you have, fiberglass?

Take a look inside you might be surprised:)

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of scoop do you have, fiberglass?

Take a look inside you might be surprised:)
Basset polished aluminum scoop + flame arrestors. While I was messing with the carbs I took it off and adjusted them on the lake, ran without it and it did the same thing. Why?

·
Registered
829 Posts
what kind of cam, pistons, rods, heads, springs, rocker arms? hows the oil?

if you eliminated the fuel system, carb, ignition, plugs & wires, it might be inside the motor.

did it make a popping sounds at higher rpm's? flat cam if its hydraulic will make that sound.

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what kind of cam, pistons, rods, heads, springs, rocker arms? hows the oil?

if you eliminated the fuel system, carb, ignition, plugs & wires, it might be inside the motor.

did it make a popping sounds at higher rpm's? flat cam if its hydraulic will make that sound.
Just bought the boat about 3 months ago and havent had the motor out yet. I do know its a solid roller cam though I dont know the size. Oil looks fine smells fine.

Didnt make it at WO in fact it was very responsive and sounded crisp. It was in mid range say 2500 to 3500 just cruising the boat. Could it be the springs in the distributor?

·
Banned
293 Posts
What was the temp. last time you ran & the temp ran this time? Could it be the 10* Eth. in the fuel. Summer Blend.It could be .

·
Registered
829 Posts
Just bought the boat about 3 months ago and havent had the motor out yet. I do know its a solid roller cam though I dont know the size. Oil looks fine smells fine.

Didnt make it at WO in fact it was very responsive and sounded crisp. It was in mid range say 2500 to 3500 just cruising the boat. Could it be the springs in the distributor?

it never hurts to open up the cap and see if anything burnt up. mine was burnt and it still ran hard & then i replaced the parts and it ran just as good. :p

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Cant hurt to pull the plugs and check each one out.

Also check the power and ground wires on the MSD box and to the distributor.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Timing

I would start with the Dizzy. Had the same thing happen to me - on two different boats. Ran great and fired right off on the trailer. Dumped it in the water and I was shooting flames out of the scoop. Good luck.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would start with the Dizzy. Had the same thing happen to me - on two different boats. Ran great and fired right off on the trailer. Dumped it in the water and I was shooting flames out of the scoop. Good luck.
I agree. Check out disty, cap, rotor, springs, all connections, plug wires, then plugs & gap. what plugs? Do all plugs look the same? Checking the simple stuff. I take it that timing was set at 32-33 degrees at over 3000 RPM?

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
I agree. Check out disty, cap, rotor, springs, all connections, plug wires, then plugs & gap. what plugs? Do all plugs look the same? Checking the simple stuff. I take it that timing was set at 32-33 degrees at over 3000 RPM?
agree, check distributor thoroughly. check battery connections at the battery and wherever you have the main battery pos/neg cables attached. make sure they are clean and very tight - not finger tight, but tight.
i'd also pull the distributor and check the gear very closely.
some things will let the engine run fine on the trailer, timing is fine at 1500-2000 rpm. but once the engine is under load, timing is upset. probably something simple. check everything.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts