Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the motor out of my boat the other day to put a new pan gasget on it and turned the drive shaft with my hand and the pump sounded like someone was kicking a tin can down the street for a few seconds and then cleared up. sahft seems to be ok i.e. no up and down play. I put it on the water and was running down river the following weekend and thought I heard it again. sounded kinda like a rocker coming loose then quit again. Motor is fine. Not sure if the two sounds are related but anyone have any ideas? thaks in advance!!

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Get paranoid about the thrust bearing, then make sure NO debris is in the pump.

If the bearing fails and the shaft slides foreward (it will), it will eat your engine thrust bearing, prob. ruin the crank and maybe the block.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Get paranoid about the thrust bearing, then make sure NO debris is in the pump.

If the bearing fails and the shaft slides foreward (it will), it will eat your engine thrust bearing, prob. ruin the crank and maybe the block.
X2!!!

I've never personally heard the sound a thrust bearing or U-joints make when they fail since I haven't had the pleasure of having one or the other fail on me yet, but if the pump has either never been rebuilt or it's been some years since the last rebuild, I would drop the cash to rebuild it simply for piece of mind. Like Smokin' said...if that thrust bearing fails, you're $1,000 problem (rough guestimate for the cost to have someone rebuild your pump) has a very high likelyhood of becoming much more expensive (thousands of dollars since a pump thrust bearing failure usually causes engine thrust bearing failure due to the pump shaft pushing on the crankshaft in the motor when it gets pushed forward...however VERY few have gotten lucky). That bearing is the only thing holding the shaft/impeller assembly in place longitudinally (front to back) and the hundreds of pounds of bowl pressure is pushing on the backside of the impeller and literally trying to push that shaft forward through the bearing and into your crankshaft under normal operation so if that bearing fails, that's exactly where it's going.

A quick and dirty way to check the bearing for end play is to remove the handhole cleanout cover, reach your hand in and pull on the shaft in an up & down as well as a forward and backward motion. ANY play that can be felt by hand is bad...replace the bearing.

If it were me, while you're in there I'd spend the extra $30 and replace the U-joints as well. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
want to thank every one for some of they help they have provided me in this learning process, especially the two above that have responded to this thread. they have responded and helped me in every thread ive posted. DOPE!!!!:)devil

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Again make sure you change those U-joints!!! Not sure how much power you're running, but I know of at least one member on this board who failed to check his U-joints and had them bind up on him AT IDLE. End result...broke a huge hole in the suction housing and once that happened the boat went down (sank) in minutes. They're cheap insurance and for one to fail and cause a catastrophic incident like the one mentioned above is something I wouldn't wish on anyone.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had a universal joint go bad, but it had no play as it jammed-up, so I did not notice it even with the engine out. It caused the shaft to spin out of round and it wore out the thrust bearing and spun it partially through the front housing, then the drive shaft popped out of the H-bar and blew the splines off the drive shaft on its way. I learned to lube and check the universals often after that experience.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
X3 on the thrust bearing. I had one go bad on me on the Kachina and for me I was lucky enough to see white smoke billowing out from the back of my engine. I shut er down quick.

Saved the engine but the impellar was toast. Decided to pick up a shouldered wear ring too. The Inside of the pump needed a cleaning up.

Note to self, Cheaper to replace a bearing every few years, For ME than to replace another engine.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
X3 on the thrust bearing. I had one go bad on me on the Kachina and for me I was lucky enough to see white smoke billowing out from the back of my engine. I shut er down quick.

Saved the engine but the impellar was toast. Decided to pick up a shouldered wear ring too. The Inside of the pump needed a cleaning up.

Note to self, Cheaper to replace a bearing every few years, For ME than to replace another engine.
Holy shit Cave! Looking at the pics, where the hell is this "thrust bearing" you mention? :D

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Ouch cave! :( At least you saved the engine.

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
I have always wondered about lubing the U joints. What type of lube/grease do you use? mine has not been done in a while. I should have done it when I rebuilt my pump. I just totally forgot.

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
I have always wondered about lubing the U joints. What type of lube/grease do you use? mine has not been done in a while. I should have done it when I rebuilt my pump. I just totally forgot.
I use the red Sta-Lube Extreme Pressure grease. Any kind of an extreme pressure stuff will work

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
The same red stuff I bought from DuaneHTP to put in the thrust bearing.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts

I have mentioned a time or two, that I have destroyed an impeller, in a single day outing, at a lake (Cheney Lake), with sand ingestion/pumping (tubing all day in a shallow area that the driver (an ex-wife) seemed to be unwilling to leave).
The impeller looksed A LOT like that one.
The bronze wear ring was immaculate tho. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts