Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I received my fair share of tickets for driver and passenger tinted windows in California....now they seem to be everywhere.
Does anyone know if they changed the law and made them legal?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nope. Got a ticket from chp a couple months ago. Had to strip the tint off and get the ticket signed off. Seems like only chp and the motor cycle sheriffs give the tint tickets out here. All the other sheriffs don't seem to care about it.

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
Nope. Got a ticket from chp a couple months ago. Had to strip the tint off and get the ticket signed off. Seems like only chp and the motor cycle sheriffs give the tint tickets out here. All the other sheriffs don't seem to care about it.
So you got off without a fine? Last window tint ticket I was issued cost me almost 170 bucks!!! :duh:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think the fine goes up each time you get one. There was a fine but it was on the wife's car and it was her first offense, so the fine wasn't to bad.

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
I think the fine goes up each time you get one. There was a fine but it was on the wife's car and it was her first offense, so the fine wasn't to bad.
Ah, I gotcha. Cop told me if it was still on within 5 days and he caught me, the fine would double. So of course I pulled it off!

·
pay me or pay me no mind
3,269 Posts
rules still the same just had this convo with my neighbor who is chp "tinted windows dont bother him", i too had my fair share of those damn tickets!! none in the city where i lived but 3 from chp on the freeway and 1 in downtown san jose, 1 in frisco...finally just took it off:bangmyhead:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yup, me too. Got one sitting in front of my son's school. CHP motor cop was watching the stop sign waiting for people to run it. He decided my tinted windows were much more of a threat to public safety than those crazy soccer moms on their phones running stop signs in front of the school. Seriously, I was sitting there waiting at the curb! He was on the opposite side of the street stopped, climbed on his bike, drove over to me and acted like a total asshole.
First offense was $95.

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The US military doesn’t have that problem.”

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Yup, me too. Got one sitting in front of my son's school. CHP motor cop was watching the stop sign waiting for people to run it. He decided my tinted windows were much more of a threat to public safety than those crazy soccer moms on their phones running stop signs in front of the school. Seriously, I was sitting there waiting at the curb! He was on the opposite side of the street stopped, climbed on his bike, drove over to me and acted like a total asshole.
First offense was $95.

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The US military doesn’t have that problem.”
I will tell you that the first to site you will either a motor cop or chp. most city L.E.O. officers will not bother you! Reason being that motor cops get most their ticket (as with) CHP feel safer if they can look in the window and see what you may or may not be doing. Just go to Las Vegas and see the percentage of tinted windows or for that matter any other hot climate areas! Phoenix being another! I payed for my son in law and daughter to tint the windows in their car simply for the reason that they carry my grand-son and soon my grand-daughter in the car and they dont need to be baking in the sun! As most (I Hope) already know the clear windows intensify the heat and U.V coming though a non tinted window and is not safe for a young child. I hope that I get pulled over and sited by any L.E.O. in my pick-up With " FACTORY TINT" and trust me the game will be on. Why do you think the car manufactures are tinting windows out of the factory. Learn how to fight and stop bending over and tacking it in the ass. JMLAO Mark

·
Registered
141 Posts
The fine varies from county to county. In Sacramento there is a court fee of $25.00. I have had numerous tickets for this (I own a tint shop) and have never received a fine, just the court fee. If you read the fine print it says "correct the violation, or pay the fine. Which always made me laugh, they obviously could care less about the infraction . . . it's all about the revenue they make off it. Also, the cop that told you if he caught you in five days with the tint still on was full of B.S. . . . You have until your court date to fix the infraction, usually about 45 days.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Check this out. I have had six skin cancer surgeries and countless other procedures, well my surgeon tells he can give me a waiver that allows me to blackout my windows and I can even tint the windshield. I didn't take him up on it, but I can at anytime.

Now I paste myself up with sun block and a hat. I still love the outdoors and get out all I can, but I have to admit the 100 degree sunny days on the water, are getting fewer and fewer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Check this out. I have six skin cancer surgeries and countless other procedures, well my surgeon tells he can give me a waiver that allows me to blackout my windows and I can even tint the windshield. I didn't take him up on it, but I can at anytime.
the chp that gave my wife the ticket a couple of months ago said that people are trying to get the doctors notes thing. But he told us that the way the law is, the tint on the front windows has to be removable for night time( like a pull down sun screen). He said he would still write the ticket regardless of a doctors recommendation. I don't know if that's legal for them to do or not.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Years ago I received my fair share of tickets for driver and passenger tinted windows in California....now they seem to be everywhere.
Does anyone know if they changed the law and made them legal?
Thanks in advance!
Nope, not legal. Just actually got one the 23rd on my way into Parker on Rice Road.

25 dollar court fee and show proof of correction otherwise you have to pay an outrageous fee. Brother had one and didn't get it fixed in time and ended up paying two hundred and something bucks to get it taken care off.

Anyone a CHP that's willing to sign mine off??? :partyguy:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Do the cops have a meter to measure the tint or is it arbitrary? There sure be a percentage tint that is the legal cut-off and without a meter there no way to accurately decide. The drivers door tint in my Suburban is not anywhere near as dark as the passenger door on the drivers side and both are factory.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Do the cops have a meter to measure the tint or is it arbitrary? There sure be a percentage tint that is the legal cut-off and without a meter there no way to accurately decide. The drivers door tint in my Suburban is not anywhere near as dark as the passenger door on the drivers side and both are factory.
In California, tint is tint. Doesn't matter whether it's light, dark, or limo, if it's aftermarket and on the front windshield or front driver and passenger windows, they can write you up for it. Obviously the darker it is, the more your chances increase of getting ticketed.

You can actually tint up to half of your front windows and still be legal, but it looks like shit of course. You can now actually put transparent tints that have UV blocking abilities but anything besides that is not legal.

Again, anyone a CHP or have a line on someone that is able to write off a CHP fix it ticket, send me a PM and i'll make it worth your while :))THumbsUp;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts