Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How’s everyone feel about towing in the water? If you're running a low freeboard boat and helping another boater out by towing them in. This weekend I came across an outboard just stuck in the middle of the lake. I felt bad for the guy and offered to tow him in. I told him you may get a little steam back there. He didn’t mind. I didn’t want to be hauling ass across the lake but I also didn’t want to go too slow and overheat or worry about reversion. My t valve doesn’t open until 2K so I kept it at 1500-1800 and it ran about 180*. what worried me the most is the A$$ holes in their bayliners/wakeboard boats blowing right by us. We had a flag up and the whole nine yards but those idiots didn’t really seem to care. Is it a bad idea to tow with a low free board boat?

He was a really nice guy, we had actually raced in the morning. I just saw him stranded out there and everyone just passing him by.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just my .02 One of the biggest problems with smaller power boats is it does not take too much money and many times little brains to get on the water with one. It is positive your helping the guy out. Good to hear the inconsiderate individuals around you did not cause any more problems than it did. Hopefully they will not hurt anyone while gaining a little common sense.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That is awesome you helped. I lost the motor once in my old Eliminator several years ago out front of the Avi. Every wakeboard boat out there just blew by my as I flagged them for help. One guy even said he would look to see if I was still out there after they got some skiing done. WTF!? The current was so strong it was pushing me down fast too. I was so pissed. Luckily my Father-in-law was able to find me. I was so far down at that point it took over an hour to tow it back....I just couldn't believe that nobody else with their big nice boats would take the time to help out.....

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
If I had a prop, I would tow anyone anywhere. I got a jet, I will tow someone to get them out of danger or to a safe spot. I wont tow someone up river 2-3 miles. I will get them to a beach and off a ride to some friends or camp. By no means will I just pass by if someone is flagging down for help.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I've towed 3 times, 2 miles or less, boats as big as 24'.....with a v-drive hydro and not had a problem....and i don't have a ski tow. I tied the rope
to the tunnel ram and idled on in.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Common boat law

It used to be you always help a fellow boater in distress. And you still should, even if they just need a beer. And when I wave at you, it is okay to wave back. Try to keep the water a friendly place.

I have been towed by great people, and passed by a$$holes that pretend not to see me, and done my share of towing others. However, I'm usually the broken one.

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm all for helping people out. I have just heard stories of people helping other guys out and being swamped doing so.

·
whats a goodtime cost?
270 Posts
i am also intersted in what everyone has to say about towing in low freeboard boats.

but the real question everyone wants to know is.........who won the race?

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I have towed in a stranded boater many times with the boat in my avitar and others I have owned. Anybody that would ignore a stranded boat should find another hobby and don't ever consider yourself a boater. Yeah my motor got hot and my headers picked up a new blue color but I sure as hell was not going to leave a stranded boat and sleep well that night. I was raised around boating and have been doing it for over 35 years and the last guy I towed in was about 2 miles from his ramp and once we got the boat to the dock he offered me some money and my response was, No thanks just do the same for somebody else some day. Mark

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am also intersted in what everyone has to say about towing in low freeboard boats.

but the real question everyone wants to know is.........who won the race?[/QUOTE]

Surprisingly enough I did. In his defense he had one other person in the boat. It was just me in mine. It's all in good fun.

I have towed in a stranded boater many times with the boat in my avitar and others I have owned. Anybody that would ignore a stranded boat should find another hobby and don't ever consider yourself a boater. Yeah my motor got hot and my headers picked up a new blue color but I sure as hell was not going to leave a stranded boat and sleep well that night. I was raised around boating and have been doing it for over 35 years and the last guy I towed in was about 2 miles from his ramp and once we got the boat to the dock he offered me some money and my response was, No thanks just do the same for somebody else some day. Mark

Exactly. He offered Money also, I told him no thanks I have been in that position before and we'll have a beer later.

·
Team CJ460
2,191 Posts
cool cjit robert i did it myself tyhis past weekend and was not to happy to do so cause the strain on my pump but carma is a bitch and now hopefully she will leave me a stress free summer :D

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
i towed lots and lots of people over 25 years at trinity. usually several miles. and most of that was with my old 17' tahiti clone. never hesitated and never had a problem. that's a big lake, and being stuck way out somewhere could make for a long night.

for the brokedown'rs, if you have a chic or two in the skimpiest bikini's available waiving for help (maybe jumping up and down a little bit), it helps to maybe get someone to stop sooner rather than later... :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts