Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Senior Expert
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the day yesterday boating between Topak and Needles and I swear I nearly got killed 3 to 4 times. The closest call was on our way back to the ramp about 6PM my wife two kids and our dog were in the boat going up river and I was following on a jet ski about 100 yards behind her and here comes this ass clown in a big Donzi hauling ass right up behind her. He sort of pauses for a second and then decides to punch it and pass on the right at about 50 MPH leaving about 10 feet between my wife on one side and 10 feet from the shore on the other side. One of those situations where your cruising along and all of a sudden you've got some huge ass boat you didn't see coming right f...ing beside you.

We've decided no more boating on the weekends out here in the summer anymore. We will only do mid week now. What a shame. It's to bad the economy didn't weed these fockers out.

Rant over.

·
Senior Expert
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. Ya my wife starts crying on the way back to the house cause the day was so damn stressful, I felt terrible. Anyway, it will pass.

·
"BOUGHT NOT BUILT"
7,952 Posts
two basic rules, that no one seems to remember..

on the river slower trafic stay to the right!!!

drive your vessel in a predictable maner!~!!!

if you wanna run up the river a 30 mph , remember jonny just got his first new
twin engine cat that does 130!!!! and guess what.... hes gonna run it

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,362 Posts
Waaaaaa. You drive on the freeways too right? Just think these are the same people that you are comfy with driving 75-80 mph next to each other, whats the difference? You think because its a car you are safer? NOT!! You just have to always be aware of your surroundings and be prepared for the worst, just like on the road. There is always someone faster and passing on the right. Move over, give room for the faster boats. I do, and enjoy watching them run. I pass on the right too when jet ski's or slow boats insist on running 2 or 3 wide right down the middle at 35 MPH. It can get pretty crowded out there, I use my best judgment and pass when I feel its safe. I am sure a few boaters have thought I was being a dick too. OH WELL.

·
Banned
72 Posts
whining

Im not gonna whine but i stopped going to the river 5 years ago when all the yahoos started coming I only go during the week.

2 weekends ago i went on a saturday and it reminds me why i dont go on the weekend anymore you can keep the weekends...

·
Deck Boat Cheer******
506 Posts
I TOTALLY understand what you are dealing with. Its a mess on the river up from the lake. People driving past you like they are on the pavement and the water is like a washing machine throwing them all over the place! SCARRY sometimes.

I often am passing slower boats and back off to wait for more room or for them to know I am there. I too USUALLY pass on the right as most slow boaters are afraid of the shore line and hug the middle. Couple of toots on the horn and a cautious pass and I am on my way usually. Almost always however there will be one or more impatient captains who will blast into the small opening before I make my pass. Let 'em go, I wanna boat tommorrow as well as today.

G

·
I was out Friday and yesterday. I learned years ago to get on the water by 8:00 am and get off the water early on Sat, during the Summer. It was a little crazy heading back to Jack Smith yesterday, but not terrible.

·
Senior Expert
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With all do respect the freeway is a bad comparison. Freeways have these things called lanes and everyone drives the same direction and.... people drive everyday. Boating is a free for all, which requires people to use good judgement. Here in lies the problem. I agree you have to always have your head about you on the river and constantly looking over your shoulder. We have been on the river for 20 years. The manuover this guy did yesterday was STUPID, period, and without question.

·
Deck Boat Cheer******
506 Posts
I get pissed sometimes at what the other captains are willing to do to endanger themselves, their guests and others on the water but DANG I love running the river!

·
Lavey Me Alone
1,404 Posts
I understand completely. It's very tight boating there! I've decided that as long as we don't get hit, we're fine. Last season a chick on a PWC passed so close my backseat passenger said she could of touched her....she ran across the bow, (following the taper of the bow) so close I had to close the throttle and was pushing the "brake pedal" (I know there is not actually a brake pedal, but its a reaction to push the floor in that situation ;) ).

It's tough.....sometimes my wife goes and lays down on the back seat when we run back up to needles late on Saturday afternoons. Otherwise she gets too nervous.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Waaaaaa. You drive on the freeways too right? Just think these are the same people that you are comfy with driving 75-80 mph next to each other, whats the difference? You think because its a car you are safer? NOT!! You just have to always be aware of your surroundings and be prepared for the worst, just like on the road. There is always someone faster and passing on the right. Move over, give room for the faster boats. I do, and enjoy watching them run. I pass on the right too when jet ski's or slow boats insist on running 2 or 3 wide right down the middle at 35 MPH. It can get pretty crowded out there, I use my best judgment and pass when I feel its safe. I am sure a few boaters have thought I was being a dick too. OH WELL.
I'm sure you are a major DICK, I have 2 boats that run over 100 mph and they are not trailer queens, however I don't run them fast down a crowded river, remember,that a lot of the jet skiers and slower boats make mistakes also, I have had people's coolers lids or sunglasses blow off and the driver in front of you just makes a U turn without looking............ I love runnung my boats fast, but I don't mind blending in and being a good citizen and a good DAD................. They ALL know who I am and so do I .............. when I show up it's understood who the TOP DAWG is without me having to show em' on a crowded river...................PEACE........... live to fight another day !!!!!

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,362 Posts
I'm sure you are a major DICK, I have 2 boats that run over 100 mph and they are not trailer queens, however I don't run them fast down a crowded river

thanx, if your gonna be something you might as well be the best

who says I am trying to run 100? Hell my boat might do 65-70 on its best day, but why should I do 35 just because 3 dumb ass's want to blow each other kisses going up the middle of the river? Thats all

·
DRIVE4SHOW-PUTT4$$$
643 Posts
Spent the day yesterday boating between Topak and Needles and I swear I nearly got killed 3 to 4 times. The closest call was on our way back to the ramp about 6PM my wife two kids and our dog were in the boat going up river and I was following on a jet ski about 100 yards behind her and here comes this ass clown in a big Donzi hauling ass right up behind her. He sort of pauses for a second and then decides to punch it and pass on the right at about 50 MPH leaving about 10 feet between my wife on one side and 10 feet from the shore on the other side. One of those situations where your cruising along and all of a sudden you've got some huge ass boat you didn't see coming right f...ing beside you.

We've decided no more boating on the weekends out here in the summer anymore. We will only do mid week now. What a shame. It's to bad the economy didn't weed these fockers out.

Rant over.
good to hear you and your family made it back alive,some boaters take this no speed limit to there head..........when the river is full and crazy,130mph is not a safe speed nor is half of that sometimes!! We all like to run fast.....some boaters just need to pick safer times to do so.Remember the asshole boater has been around since boats were invented and they are here to stay!!!!:|err and it seems theres alot more on the weekends:)hand

·
Old Skool Member
6,086 Posts
This is why I prefer the lakes. More escape routes. If I am on the river more than likely it would be on a Tuesday-Wed.....

To me it just looks like everybody on the river is barreling straight at you. I was a wreck on Nodiggs boat a few years back in Parker. Damn, my head was on a swivel (I wasn't driving) and I am sure that day I was the worst boat bitch of all time. Just don't feel comfortable as I don't trust my life to others. Not Nodigg but the other drivers on the river.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
thanx, if your gonna be something you might as well be the best

who says I am trying to run 100? Hell my boat might do 65-70 on its best day, but why should I do 35 just because 3 dumb ass's want to blow each other kisses going up the middle of the river? Thats all
I'm with you on that It is very frustrating, but if the REAL morons complain toooo much, the beauacracy will step in and you guys will end up with 25 miles of no wake zones which will REALLY SUCK, IT's happening around here, seems like every year, I go back to different places and there is a new sign somewhere................. Got a ticket last year on a newly posted area that I didn't or wasn't paying attention, and remember, thats how they feed their local economy these days, the more tickets they write the more cops they can pay to write more tickets................. BE CAREFUL !!!!!!!

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,362 Posts
With all do respect the freeway is a bad comparison. Freeways have these things called lanes and everyone drives the same direction and.... people drive everyday. Boating is a free for all, which requires people to use good judgement. Here in lies the problem. I agree you have to always have your head about you on the river and constantly looking over your shoulder. We have been on the river for 20 years. The manuover this guy did yesterday was STUPID, period, and without question.

I don't understand why we don't treat it like a freeway? Why do peeps run on both sides up or down? If your going slower, stay more toward the shore. If you are going up, stay to the right. Going down, stay to the left. I have done my fair share of slowing down and waiting for the right time to pass, but when it is time I am going to pass. If it is safer to do it on the right then so be it.

I love it when you are cruising through the channel (London Bridge or Moabi) and someone is on the wrong side against the flow. That is so stupid. You wouldn't drive on the wrong side of the road, so treat boating like your on the road and we might have better flow.

Can't we all just get along?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.