Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Banne'd
2,426 Posts
Yup, get rid of allof the pumps and run one electric. The holley orange is the best from what I have seen. Also you will want to remove the "pulse limiters, found under the fuel pumps on the block. If you leave them on and they go bad you will see about 3500 r's and then it will die, I know I had one. STV KEITH can tell you more, he has about 100 of these things, and two fresh ones built by Monty, of Monty's Racing. He's running merc lowers, and they will last longer than the OMC lower's, and more gear options as well.

But yes get rid of the Very Rarely Oiled injection.

· mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
Yup, get rid of allof the pumps and run one electric. The holley orange is the best from what I have seen. Also you will want to remove the "pulse limiters, found under the fuel pumps on the block. If you leave them on and they go bad you will see about 3500 r's and then it will die, I know I had one. STV KIETH can tell you more, he has about 100 of these things, and two fresh ones built by Monty, of Monty's Racing. He's running merc lowers, and they will last longer than the OMC lower's, and more gear options as well.

But yes get rid of the Very Rarely Oiled injection.
are those things a joke? my lil brother just bought a boat with oil injection. i burned up a suzuki ts185 dirtbike when i was 13 cause the injection didn't inject:|err

· Banne'd
2,426 Posts
And don't for get to cap off the pulse limiter. There will be 2 of them, under the fuel pumps going into the block. I lost the pic I had of it. About a 1" diamerter threaded deal, with a 1/4 nip coming out of it. Just cap it off with a vac cap, and zippy tie it.

· Registered
736 Posts
Burned Three Motors From Lack of Oil...

I've been around boats all my life. I burned up a brand new 2.4 V-6 because of the oil injection.....It could be called my fault, because I left the lid to the oil tank loose, so my daughter could get if off...I did not know the oil tank had to be presurized...

We burned up a 45 SS race motor because I told my youngest son to fuel his boat and he grabbed the generator gas...

I was testing Yamaha's Factory Bass boat one day and their oil injection line kinked and I burned their motor up...Good thing on that one was they gave me the motor!

I bought 23 OMC powerheads from Iowa, all were burned up because of VRO's failing...

I'm building a 2.5 Mercury as we speak, it will NOT have oil injection...I'll pour the oil in the tank MYSELF...and lost of it...STV Keith said 40:1 I think...I may use that...

No is my vote on oil injection!

· Banned
729 Posts
Got a 140 Johnson on our 1986 28' Gregor pontoon. Removed the VRO on advice from my long time buddy Al Zink. The original motor has not EVER been apart since new. Thousands of hours at near WOT (race pontoon boat?) NO FAILURES! We've towed 3 flatbottoms up and down the lake for years with this boat and never a problem. "It's like mixing drinks!" Remove the VRO!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.