Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We blew a brand new motor at Puddingstone a few weeks ago. Boat came in with no oil in the dry sump tank. I thought the scavanger pump failed. Sent the pump off to get inspected and it checked out fine. The puke tank had 3 quarts of oil in it. We usually only have a cup. Anyone have a quess what the problem is. I'm sure we got the mains and probally got some rods too.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a scavage line in the lifter valley ?

Do the valve covers vent to the puke tank or to the dry sump tank ?
No scavanger in the lifter valley. We have 3 in the pan. Valve covers vent to the puke tank.

·
northern member
602 Posts
so 3 qts in the puke take , no oil in the tank so was the rest in the pan or did it go out the puke tank vent ? did you forget to put rings in it ? :grin::wink2:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
No scavanger in the lifter valley. We have 3 in the pan. Valve covers vent to the puke tank.
I had the exact set up and it would do what your saying.

Ran the valve covers to the dry sump tank and then one line from the dry sump tank to the puke tank.

BUT, changed one of the pan lines to the lifter valley. I think when you get the engine up in rpm as you have it plumbed, the crank case
pressure doesn't allow the oil to return to the oil pan ??????

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so 3 qts in the puke take , no oil in the tank so was the rest in the pan or did it go out the puke tank vent ? did you forget to put rings in it ? :grin::wink2:
The oil is in the pan now. Building this motor is way above my pay grade. After using a bore scope you could see the cross hatching in the cylinders.

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
I had the exact set up and it would do what your saying.

Ran the valve covers to the dry sump tank and then one line from the dry sump tank to the puke tank.

BUT, changed one of the pan lines to the lifter valley. I think when you get the engine up in rpm as you have it plumbed, the crank case
pressure doesn't allow the oil to return to the oil pan ??????
We would see the engines push large amounts of oil out of the valve cover breathers in our drag cars when spinning them really hard… Ended up making taller and taller stacks on the valve covers and ultimately a series of baffles in them before we could keep the mess under control…

I would think that venting the VCs to the sump tank and then another line as high as possible off the top of the tank would help a lot…

I have never built anything like this (sustained high RPM boat set up) so I’m prolly in for a BIG education when I get my Sanger plumbed and going this summer…

1 - 9 of 9 Posts