Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Both Haig and Lumley set new course records for Men's Open and Women's Open classes. Haig's unofficial record time was 50 minutes and 19 seconds -- average race speed -- 74 mph. Actually, Aussie Peter Proctor looked like he was going to win -- had Haig by about a ski line length with only a quarter mile from the finishline -- but Proctor crashed making the tough high speed 90-degree left hand turn at the fantail of the Queen Mary for the sprint to the checkered. Haig, pulled by Randy Davis in his 47-foot Nordic Cyclone, just motored by for his ninth overall Catalina victory and seventh in a row. Now the U.S. World Team skiers leave for the World Championships in Belgium this Tuesday!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Both Haig and Lumley set new course records for Men's Open and Women's Open classes. Haig's unofficial record time was 50 minutes and 19 seconds -- average race speed -- 74 mph. Actually, Aussie Peter Proctor looked like he was going to win -- had Haig by about a ski line length with only a quarter mile from the finishline -- but Proctor crashed making the tough high speed 90-degree left hand turn at the fantail of the Queen Mary for the sprint to the checkered. Haig, pulled by Randy Davis in his 47-foot Nordic Cyclone, just motored by for his ninth overall Catalina victory and seventh in a row. Now the U.S. World Team skiers leave for the World Championships in Belgium this Tuesday!
Man was that gutwrenching! He totally had Todd beat.
The whole Queen Mary crowd just let out an awe!!!
Congrats to Todd and the Nordic Crew! Next year Peter great job man, tough loss!

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
Does anyone have the full results list.

The Catalina ski race site doesn't and based on history probably won't for quite awhile.

There are a lot of other classes and places that people are interested in.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Does anyone have the full results list.

The Catalina ski race site doesn't and based on history probably won't for quite awhile.

There are a lot of other classes and places that people are interested in.
There sould be a list available tomorrow in one of the local papers. They were taking times and places on the QM today and said they would verify and then print them tomorrow. That was a Catilina press person but they said they will send it to others.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This isn't official, but I believe that Kim Lumley did finish third overall (1st Woman). And yes, she was skiing again behind Lee Spindler in the 43' Schiada. If Kim did get third overall, this is only the second time in Catalina history that a woman placed as high as third overall (Sally Younger did it in 1970 skiing behind Larry Smith's -- aka Mr. Scarab -- triple outboard). Also notable -- Billy Dunsmore was driving a 210 Hallett pulling Sam Frey (again the result isn't official, but I think they did it under one-hour -- that's hauling for a 21-footer).

·
Some guy
3,664 Posts
Also notable -- Billy Dunsmore was driving a 210 Hallett pulling Sam Frey (again the result isn't official, but I think they did it under one-hour -- that's hauling for a 21-footer).
Sam was first to the island, by reports we had by phone while on the Queen Mary, but don't forget the head start the 21' boats get. Not sure if they had a full 10 minute head start on the big boats, but if so Sam did not break an hour. Still a great ski ride by an ever improving skier.

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
There sould be a list available tomorrow in one of the local papers. They were taking times and places on the QM today and said they would verify and then print them tomorrow. That was a Catilina press person but they said they will send it to others.
Still no results on the catalina ski race site. Arrgggh :)hammers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sam was first to the island, by reports we had by phone while on the Queen Mary, but don't forget the head start the 21' boats get.

Where are the results for the 21ft and other classes, specially those that are represented in the World´s next week?
Was any one towed by the Queen Mary as well?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
the outta control cigarette driven by Kevin won there class and 15th overall.
I guess Kevin did really well in the Rum Run Race today as well (running 3rd over all and 1st in class) when a motor let go 2 miles out from the finish. :(

Back to back racing and trophies would've been nice for him.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Our skier, Grant Turner, from Austrailia ran it in 55min 20sec....we came in 5th overall and 4th in the open class..... I was the Nav in Sean's boat....
Great time......

And I will mention......still running in Sean's boat..... We were the 1st V-bottom back to finish the RumRun....:D 4th overall..... another great time.....

Missed you again Tank......:)hand

·
Registered
0 Posts
Our skier, Grant Turner, from Austrailia ran it in 55min 20sec....we came in 5th overall and 4th in the open class..... I was the Nav in Sean's boat....
Great time......

And I will mention......still running in Sean's boat..... We were the 1st V-bottom back to finish the RumRun....:D 4th overall..... another great time.....

Missed you again Tank......:)hand
Nice work with stock Merc 525s. You guys looked good out there both days!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Isn't grant patterson (2nd overall) who Jay Photoglou was pulling the past 2 years?

Did Jay run this year?

Also is it just me or is this event losing it's luster over the past 5 or so years? I remember my first year going it was huge. Now it seems I don't even hear about it anymore.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts