Performance Boats Forum banner

Tom Roland boats

9K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  GA Jet 
#1 ·
Do any of you remember Tom Roland? Died during a boat race I believe in the 80's Well, he made some boats before his fatal crash. Does anyone know any info about these boats and some background info on Tom himself?

#3 ·
my father picked this boat up recently. it had been sitting for 16 years. This is serial number 0000001. 21’ Cruiser

Attachments

#4 ·
Welcome to the boards DRAC. Nice find, congratulations. You have a very good boat there. That is the first boat that Tom built from the mold. He named them Royale Boats. Was this boat still in the Hollywood area? If I recall correctly it was originally sold to a gentleman that was involved with the production of the show Moonlighting with Bruce Willis and Cybil Sheppard. It still appears to be in pretty good condition. The interior still appears to be original, teak ski locker door appears orig. and the pump installation appears just as Tom set it up. Somebody added those trim tabs. The trailer was built by Jan at Lightning Headers. This boat was at the Anaheim boat show the first year he was in business around 1983-84. I have a file with the original sales fliers from the show and some photo negatives. I have pictures of that boat in my office. That boat ran and handled very well. It was built with a stock 420 hp. Dominator engine & pump package with the Lightning (un-jacketed) chrome thru transom headers. It ran 72mph bone stock off the trailer with full interior etc. at Parker at the NJBA drags. The bare hull weighed 950 lbs. Tom had Merrill Combs of Aqua Craft boats in Riverside lay up the hulls. I have missed that boat since the day it sold. I have often wondered where it was and what kind of condition it might be in. It's great to see it was well cared for. I would enjoy talking to you more about it if your interested. If It's still in the L.A. area I would enjoy seeing it as well if that's not to odd of a thing to say. Thank you for posting up the question and following up with the post. It's like finding an old friend and seeing they're doing well. I could pm you my contact info. if you are interested. Thanks again, Warren.

#5 ·
unfortunately I am living in Idaho for the next year, so I am unable to personally see this boat with my own eyes. This boat is at my fathers house in California, but this boat will be in great hands and will be done right. I will try to get some info on the progress as soon as I can receive it. thanks for the response, my father and I greatly appreciate it. do you think you can get those negatives up if possible?

Headers must have been changed, but still are injected. Plate welded to collectors are stamped “RAM” Performance Products 100% stainless steel.
3.5 “at exit. Probably going to remove them and install jacketed 4” due to not really the exhaust to run with a covered engine. Floor is solid. Boat was in Texas for a time and then came back to CA. Got from a guy named Craig, he said he became pretty good friends with your uncle. He said he only made 6, 2 were jets. Most of the plumbing is Russell AN and braided stainless, couple have cracked and leak but easy fix. Pump seams solid with no whines or squeals. Tight and no slippage. Hour meter shows 67. Upholstery was there but in crumble state.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Here's a photo-copy (camera pic.) of the sales flyer and two pics. of your boat in front of Tom's house. I scanned these into my computer but they wouldn't upload to the site, wrong type of file (tif.?) Anyway, this will have to suffice for now until I can get the negatives transferred to a format that will allow me to upload here. (have any suggestions for that process?) I am still looking for the pics. of it at the boat show. I know they're here somewhere.
The pics of it in the water, are those of your dad doing a test run? I dig the jerry can and lawn chair setup. Is your dad planning a complete restoration of the boat? What had him choose this boat over other more well known boats out there for sale? Was he friends with the seller and knew it's history? It's really cool to see it resurface and in good hands. I look forward to seeing the resto. progression. I have always wondered how well they stood the "test of time". So many other well known hull mfg's. have numerous stress cracks and other lamination type issues. Tom was very particular about how those boats were laid up, where and what type of coring materials were used as well as their overall weight. That boat felt very solid when hitting boat wakes at speed yet it wasn't excessively heavy.

Attachments

#9 ·
yes that was my dad doing a test run, and i do not know where he is planning on taking this boat as for a restoration or not, i sent you a PM, and maybe you can talk to him involving any questions you have. if you type "dean Corinth" in the search bar, you can see my old profile, and some of the things my dad and myself have done.
-dean

#15 ·
Working on 3

Kinda just sitting right now. Waiting for Jason to get some time to buff and wax. Still undecided if I should put interior back to original of update. Any suggestions?

The engine for the Hardin is going 70 over with some Probe forged mini domes and should be ready to assemble this week.

The SST pump is almost ready to assemble too. Scored a mini droop for it so that should lift her and be a little "less wet". No diverter planned for her. Pump is set back more that expected so std. transom housing is too shallow. Good thing I have a deep one, fits sweet too.

Stay tuned.

#16 ·
for the interior, is it possible to make it into 2 buckets and a bench? or just stick with the regular set up? do you have a plan for power for the royale? that 481? anything big? forced induction? a 6-71? haha

for the SST, no diverter? i thought you were going to rig the same set up as the hardin has. can you try to throw up some pics of the hardin and the new pistons? and you painted the pump if i remember correctly, is that right? did you have jason look at the sleekcraft to see about paint, or are you still planning to do that.

its awesome you are on here, now i can see what you are doing depending on the pictures you post.

for interior on the royale some thing like.....

Attachments

#17 ·
The "Back to Life" begins

Hello all, I figure since both my Bahners are now sold and gone it is perfect time to put this beauty back together. She will need new power, full wood/upholstery, tanks repaired or replaced and a good buff. She has no cracks anywhere. Only found one area on back floor by transom that has rot but other than that.....Solid! Site doesn't recognize my pix file so won't load, I'll post as soon as I can figure it out. Stay tuned. Andy

#20 ·
Looks good all polished up. Did you color sand and buff or were you able to get away with a compound and buff? Either way it looks great. Curious, how's the white head liner looking/holding up under the deck? If I recall correctly it was smooth material (as opposed to furry, typically used at that time) on foam backer. Plush more like an auto headliner.

#23 ·
Looks good Andy. Appears your replicating the original interior layout? That boat did have a pretty spacious cockpit. Did it still have the "ski locker box" under the deck lid at the transom? Or did it get tossed before you got it? Maybe the different t.t. headers took up that space. If I recall correctly the interior in that boat was done by A-1 Canvas (Eric) back then. I think all the rest went to a well known shop in Riverside, I think it was called Strattons? Eric had good quality work but he could never seem to deliver a boat in a reasonable amount of time. I remember it got pretty tense as to wether it was going to make it to the Anaheim boat show or not and space deposits were paid and non-refundable. Tom was funding/building this venture out of the family budget, as often happens in start ups, so there was no room for errors by flakey interior guys. I was friends with Eric and referred Tom to him so I had a small accountability in it. Fortunately it all worked out. Who's going to cover the woodwork for you? Will you use the same color scheme or change it up a bit? I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.

#24 ·
Little more progress

Hey Warren, No transom ski locker. Actually she had a doghouse style engine cover with some deck like upholstered pads to L&R. I'm changing the layout to a little more modern type. So here is my question, should I make a scoop type intake on top of engine cover? Currently there are no holes on the hull for vents for fresh air or exhaust air. I could cut the holes but somewhat indecisive.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.