Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Re-member
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
........Took the Flat to Pyramid Lake Monday,.....so as to miss the weekend crowds..........I thought I had my act together until I noticed the boat didn't have current stickers...(left them at home).....I told my story to the Sheriff and couldn't believe it when he said..."If you are sure it's registered, go ahead and launch"????......When I found a suitable beach,....I couldn't believe there were no trash cans,...as the weekenders had managed to leave a small fortune in recycleables..........Pulling up to the beach,.......I noticed a 5-6 ft. snake on the surface of the water.......Wasn't sure if it was dead or alive,....but decided,....not a good place to swim!!..............The boat is a 1963 Hallett....parellel shaft V-drive...flatbottom,......with a 1963 (crossbolt block)....406" Ford Tri- Power.....The boat is 95% original...and ran great,....that is once I put a new impeller in the water pump???............If you look at the top left of the photo you can see Interstate 5,.. whizzing by.........Kudo's to the Lake Police for letting me on the water....and even with the trash and freeway,...I'll still take it.....The late afternoon water was rough as a cobb,....so I just put the plate down,...and let her rip!!!.........All and all a good time..​

...for So Cal boating........Hoping to get back home to Nor Cal in a week or so????.....to Lake Oroville, and the Delta.....​

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice boat, it brings back memories, my first boat that I bought in 1970 was '68 Hallett. Wish I could have it back now. Sure was alot of fun!

·
Re-member
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...Should I Restore or not Restore???...

Nice boat, it brings back memories, my first boat that I bought in 1970 was '68 Hallett. Wish I could have it back now. Sure was alot of fun!
........Thanks for the compliment......I've taken this boat on some pretty long ventures on the Sac. Delta......So, although relatively recent,....I've also got memories with this..Hallett.......I have been torn for years,....as to doing a complete resto??....or leaving it faded and original??.......Any body have any thoughts on this?????............

·
Upstanding Member
12,715 Posts
........Thanks for the compliment......I've taken this boat on some pretty long ventures on the Sac. Delta......So, although relatively recent,....I've also got memories with this..Hallett.......I have been torn for years,....as to doing a complete resto??....or leaving it faded and original??.......Any body have any thoughts on this?????............
This sounds like a great boat. I prefer them restored but it's cool either way! :))THumbsUp

·
Re-member
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If the white is in good shape why not just redo the blue??!
........The white on the deck has been hit with a buffing wheel so many times,.....That the black in the layup, under the white gel is starting to show through..(not the cloth itself)...............The boat is extremely difficult to detail,... in that the clear is long gone over the blue metalflake,.....and the flake corrodes after being in the water awhile.....It can still be made to shine but the whole process is a two daye'r,..by hand............hence, for the past few years it gets a wipe down with a wet towel and lake water..........When really cleaned up,....although they were not particularly 'flat savey',... some have guessed it to be,... a late '80's or early '90's flat???......///......hmmmm???.....I just discovered that if you left click on the photo........and then slowly scroll to the right on the new image,....you can see the whole boat, and the weathering, up close and personal???.............I think I will try this on some of the other boat pics posted???......

·
Banned
1,517 Posts
What a great boat with a stout motor how long have you owned it?.

·
Re-member
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What a great boat with a stout motor how long have you owned it?.
...........I believe I bought it in January of 2001....($2200 delivered to me at the Afterbay/ Lake Oroville,...and it ran!!) .....and it took me three months dodging raindrops to get it to where it looked like an untampered with, original.....I replaced all the rotted foam in the upolstery,.......rebedded all the underwater gear with 3M 5200......replaced the '63 Ford drive shaft driven generator,...with an 80 amp Delco alternator and correct gauge wiring.......replaced 99% of the hardware with stainless.......converted the dual point distributor to a Petronix electronic ignition (the one that if you leave the key on it won't fry it!!)..........The intake/spark arrestor is a Branda Performance...exact....repop,tri-power,....casting with an S&B Filters,...custom made three layer stainless element.........found some used period correct chrome wheels and small '63 Ford dogdish hubcaps for the well weathered,.. single axel trailer.......Built a prop/rudder guard......The hardest thing was finding a period correct adjustable plate setup...That took about two years...(finally found a Hallcraft setup for $100)........Now that I think about it, I guess I've come up with a '60's era ...... 'Rattboat'...???......:)bulb...

·
Banned
1,517 Posts
It is Bitchen nice job:))THumbsUp

·
Re-member
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Dam you are lucky, where do you find a boat like that for $2200.00??
.....I bought it from the second owner who had a brother, that was having some drug/health issues and he needed quick cash for his brothers problems......It was advertised as a Barron,...not a Hallett,...in the Boat Trader........The picture was poor, and the ad was placed right at Christmas time and worded so that it was hard to tell what it really was....The guy was really a nice guy,...but any more time with him,...the boat would have been toast................The boat had apparently spent it's entire life in a small costal town,.."Pescadero",...below San Francisco...........I may be a little off on this, but I think his brother spent most of the $2200 on self medicating????.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts