Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a bbc in my 19' nordic picklefork. The starter is crap and to get it off I gotta pull the motor. Is there a bellhousing for a top mount starter? or does someone make a kit for it?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ok I have a bbc in my 19' nordic picklefork. The starter is crap and to get it off I gotta pull the motor. Is there a bellhousing for a top mount starter? or does someone make a kit for it?
The answer is...It's custom. You either make it or have it made. $$$ or tools...and tools are $$$...don't mean to be a smart ass, but...

There are reverse rotate starters that mount on top, just have to modify the housing a bit. OK, a bit more than that, not too much for a weekend without a honey-do list. Actually I like the top mount starters, jets are hard on them so they are easier to get to. I have pics somewhere, I'll post them up soon...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I found what I need, dana marine should be able to hook it up...

+

·
Registered
939 Posts
top mount

I have the lightning setup. works great.

On the tunnel hulls, theengine sits so low and there is no room for the starter. actually had mine wear a hole in the boat from vibration. switched to top mount.

Jerry

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the lightning setup. works great.

On the tunnel hulls, theengine sits so low and there is no room for the starter. actually had mine wear a hole in the boat from vibration. switched to top mount.

Jerry
that was my other concern.... there is some evidence of it hitting.... its maybe an 1/8" away from the bottom.... think the top mount is the answer....and if i need to replace this ever again Im gonna kick my own ass for not changing it

·
6TH STREET MAFIA PRES.
1,493 Posts
Go with the lightning setup its way nicer than the one you are looking at. Then get a motor with some HP for that thing so you can keep up with your brother.:D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont need a bigger motor... he needs a bigger foot to run away :):)punch and make it stop shootin ducks... but he is gettin the blower figured out now... so maybe he will throw some numbers this year:)devil

Anyone have a link to the lightning one? their website looks like its a beta or sumthin.... whats the cost on it? The one from dana is about $600. with the high torque starter... I guess on my 9:1 468 I dont need High torque... but ya never know when I will come across a high comression deal. or does someone have a used one they wanna sell? I wanna get this thing back together for a shakedown run before I spend a house payment too tow it to the river.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you have a rail kit now? What does your back plate and bellhousing look like?
I have a small rail kit, it just supports the motor. The front has a piece of 1/2" plate and the rear has bellhousing with 6 bolts, the 6 bolts attach to a plate that goes to the rail kit. It basically looks like the bellhousing I pictured above with the top mount, but no mount:|err Id take pics but the damn camera threw a mutany... time for a new one I guess.... but I need boat parts!

·
Registered
939 Posts
top mount

I ordered all my stuff from CP Performance. They know what thier talking about. Just keep in mind, you may have to do some machining work as well. Need to notch the flywheel cover. I had to cut down the spacer a little bit to make shure in fully engaged. Also, came with oversize holes for the 5/8 bolts used. I pressed in a sleave and redrilled to better match. Helps keep the parts aligned and no sag.

Jerry

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered all my stuff from CP Performance. They know what thier talking about. Just keep in mind, you may have to do some machining work as well. Need to notch the flywheel cover. I had to cut down the spacer a little bit to make shure in fully engaged. Also, came with oversize holes for the 5/8 bolts used. I pressed in a sleave and redrilled to better match. Helps keep the parts aligned and no sag.

Jerry
who made it?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Saab heres but a couple options ,as well as the Lightning set up (which is very nice),you can use /reconfigure the old syle three pt mount b/hsg to work well too Tom

1 - 20 of 49 Posts