Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 've had some starter problems and to replace the starter I need to pull the engine almost out. I seen Cruzers top mount on his Daytona (Nice Boat by the way) and that seems to be the trick install for a tunnel. Anyone else have some pics of there top mounted starters?

Any other info would be appreciated.

cave

·
Registered
391 Posts
Cave

I don't have much in the way of pictures on the computer but you can come over and take all the pictures you need.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your set up is kick a$$ Cruzer. I'm going to do something in November. This pulling the engine stuff sucks

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Cave, I have a 3-point engine mount/bell housing so if you're looking to use a rail mount my set up will not work.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks HammerDown. Yes I do have a rail set up.
jet454boat Let Me Know.
H20MOFO My bell housing is simalar to yours. Do you know the barnd of housing you have?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Cave,

If you already have the rail kit, all you need is the correct bell house (or modify yours) and the spacer for the starter. I would volunteer to take mine apart for you to copy if you wait until winter.

·
Registered
541 Posts
cave if u could send me some center to center bolt measurements, i have a 454 but its sitting on a engine stand and its a pain in the ace to get it up and down with out a cherry picker

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Cave I got it from Tom I belive it's a lightning set up. I know the starter stand itself is a lightning.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cruzer I'll take you up on that offer.
Man You weren't kidding HammerDown. Thats a tight fit!
jet454boat Let me know.
Thanks every one. I put a more heavy duty Starter in last night. I'm freaking sore all over!I definitely want a top mount in there. I found that the New but old starter had some water damage in it. It may be the water that seeped through the packing. It was real loose at the packing bolts. At 4700 rpm I get a tad bit of water coming threw.

H2OMOFO your Bell housing looks like mine. What brand is it?

Thanks again to all that posted picks. It look doable.

cave

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
I purchased mine from Futs, looks like it would be easy to copy.
mine is for a 1/2" motor plate and works with my factory top mount starter.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Hey outlaw did you ever put the starter dealio together? BTW your starter stand looks identical to mine.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
Hey outlaw did you ever put the starter dealio together? BTW your starter stand looks identical to mine.

No I havent cut my motor plates yet, but I mocked it up
with a piece of 1/2 plate and it measures out the same as my
old bell housing. it will work :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
Outlaws is the same as mine but I had to get an additional spacer for the starter I have.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got an email back from Lightning. They got all the parts for a retro. The set up works with a 2 bolt Delco starter. Its not cheap either. But its cheaper than lifting the engine out when I need to change the starter. Cheaper on my body parts as I've done this myself twice.:D

Some nice set ups out there. Thanks for your help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts