Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what do i torque the main caps down too, on a 396 BBC 2 bolt also this may sound stupid but what about the tunnelram:)sphss

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
what do i torque the main caps down too, on a 396 BBC 2 bolt also this may sound stupid but what about the tunnelram:)sphss
Not stupid but if you want a stupid answer that would be torque till you pull threads or break a bolt thenback off ten pounds:)sphss
American std on grade 8 bolts is 110lbs. manifold torque is 35 on cast iron and amercan std for a grade 5 bolt is 30lbs. M

·
Registered
19,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
does it make any diff,what im doing is removeing the caps bolts to put the studs in to bolt on this flat tray and put a v-drive pan on it;

i hate doing this stuff...............motor is from a elim daytona jet going into my v-drive hydro

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Before you put the pan back on...spin it over with the studs and make sure it still turns. I've had a few blocks that twist a cap when bolts are replaced with studs. Remember, you're putting the same or more torque value against nice polished fine threads on you stud kit instead of nasty coarse threads in the block. Your 110 ft/lbs will result in significantly higher clamping force with a fine thread stud than it will with a coarse thread bolt....it will always distort things differently, and sometimes it'll make the crank not turn.

If you're using arp studs, torque specs can be found on their website. Different thread lubes require different torque specs.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It sounds like your changing out the 4 stock main & the oil pump bolt for some stock type with studs on top for a stock type windage tray? If so I would suggest changing them 1 at a time. If you want to look at the bearings hold the two bolts about 1 1/2 - 2 inches out of the caps and gently hit one to the left or right to lift the cap off. And lube under the new bolt heads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts